Global Location Number
The Global Location Number (GLN) is part of the GS1 systems of standards. It is a simple tool used to identify a location and can identify locations uniquely where required. This identifier is compliant with norm ISO/IEC 6523.
The GS1 Identification Key is used to identify physical locations or legal entities. The key comprises a GS1 Company Prefix, Location Reference, and Check Digit.
Location identified with GLN could be a physical location such as a warehouse or a legal entity such as a company or customer or a function that takes place within a legal entity. It can also be used to identify something as specific as a particular shelf in a store. Being able to identify locations with a unique number is a key to many business processes. The GLN is used in electronic messaging between customers and suppliers, where location advice is important. GLN is also used within companies to identify specific locations both electronically in a database and physically where the GLN can be produced in a bar code or GS1 EPC tag.
GLN is a 13-digit number structured as follows:
|Global Location Number Structure|
|GS1 Company Prefix
|Location Reference||Check Digit|
|N1 N2 N3 N4 N5 N6 N7 N8 N9 N10 N11 N12||N13|
EAN (GLN,GTIN, EAN numbers administered by GS1)
EAN (European Article Number) check digits (administered by GS1) are calculated by summing the even position numbers and multiplying by 3 and then by adding the sum of the odd position numbers. To calculate the check digit, subtract the sum from the nearest equal or higher multiple of ten. A GS1 check digit calculator and detailed documentation is online at GS1's website. Another official calculator page shows that the mechanism for GTIN-13 is the same for Global Location Number/GLN.
- "Check Digit Calculator". GS1. 2005. Retrieved 2012-08-09.
- "Check Digit Calculator, at GS1 US official site". GS1 US. Retrieved 2012-08-09.
- GS1 official site
- GLN (Global Location Number) - GS1 Identification Keys (ID Keys) - Technical - BarCodes & Identification - Products & Solutions - GS1-The global language of business
- Check Digit Calculator, and documentation, at GS1 official site
- Check Digit Calculator, and documentation in pdf format, at GS1 US official site (states the same mechanism for GLN and GTIN-13)