Global Plan of Action to Combat Trafficking in Persons
The Global Plan of Action to Combat Trafficking in Persons is a human trafficking action plan adopted by the United Nations in July 2010. Kyrgyzstan supported the plan's adoption, as did Canada, and Mexico signed off on the plan that September. The plan was first proposed by Belarus. One of the most significant elements of the plan is the United Nations Voluntary Trust Fund for Victims of Trafficking in Persons, which was launched in November 2010 to support human trafficking victims through financial, legal, and humanitarian aid. In October 2012, the Anglican Consultative Council resolved that the ecclesiastical provinces of the Anglican Communion ought to study and raise awareness about the plan. A meeting of the sixty-seventh session of the United Nations General Assembly at United Nations Headquarters in New York City, New York, United States was convened in May 2013 to assess the progress of the plan's implementation. Francis Chullikatt, Permanent Observer of the Holy See to the United Nations, spoke at this meeting, saying that the meeting allowed the international community opportunity "to renew our commitment to work together and to condemn with one voice the abhorrent and immoral practice of trafficking in human beings." At the time of the meeting, there were 39 member states of the United Nations that had not ratified the plan.
- "UAE active in fight against human trafficking Gargash". Khaleej Times. October 18, 2010. Retrieved December 3, 2013.
- G. Dadashova (October 6, 2011). "Kyrgyzstan makes significant efforts to combat organized crime". Trend News Agency. Retrieved December 3, 2013.
- Trevor Bhupsingh (May 13, 2013). "Statement by Mr. Trevor Bhupsingh, Director General, Public Safety Canada, to the High-level meeting on the appraisal of the Global Plan of Action to Combat Trafficking in Persons". Government of Canada. Retrieved December 3, 2013.
- International Migration Outlook 2012. Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. 2012. p. 112. ISBN 926417723X.
- "UNESCO General Conference adopts resolution on human trafficking". Belarusian Telegraph Agency. November 22, 2013. Retrieved December 3, 2013.
- "Hollywood actors join UN in launching trust fund". Daily Times. November 6, 2010. Retrieved December 3, 2013.
- "Resolution 15.10: The trafficking of persons" (PDF). Anglican Communion. October 2012. Retrieved December 3, 2013.
- "Canada Participates in UN General Assembly High-Level Meeting to Assess the Implementation of the Global Plan of Action to Combat Human Trafficking" (PDF). Canada's Anti-Human Trafficking Newsletter (3). July 2013. pp. 3–4. Retrieved October 29, 2013.
- Francis Chullikatt (May 13–14, 2013). "Interventions: Statements of the Permanent Observer Mission of the Holy See to the United Nations". Permanent Observer of the Holy See to the United Nations. Retrieved December 3, 2013.
- "UN seeks global effort to combat human trafficking". Premium Times. May 14, 2013. Retrieved December 3, 2013.