Global Running Day
|Global Running Day|
|Date||First Wednesday in June|
|2021 date||June 2|
|2022 date||June 1|
|2023 date||June 7|
|2024 date||June 5|
|First time||June 1, 2016|
Global Running Day is a day that celebrates the sport of running. It is held annually on the first Wednesday of June. Participants of all ages and abilities pledge to take part in some type of running activity by submitting their names through the Global Running Day website. Global Running Day 2022 will take place on June 1.
Global Running Day was formerly known as National Running Day and began in the United States. The first event was in 2009.
The inaugural Global Running Day was held on June 1, 2016. More than 2.5 million people from 177 countries pledged to run more than 9.2 million miles. New York City Mayor, Bill de Blasio, declared June 1, 2016, to be Global Running Day in the City of New York. 2014 Boston Marathon winner Meb Keflezighi led a group run from the Boston Run Base, and the Atlanta Track Club organized a “run around the clock” event, where at least one person from the Atlanta metro area would be running every hour of Global Running Day.
In 2017, the International Association of Athletics Federations supported Global Running Day. “The IAAF fully supports the Global Running Day and is proud to invite all of our Member Federations to join us and the world’s leading race organisers in this massive celebration of the sport," said IAAF CEO Olivier Gers.
In 2018, New York Road Runners celebrated its 60th anniversary on with a finish line celebration on Global Running Day on Wednesday, June 6, during the same week NYRR was founded in 1958.
In 2019, many local running stores and clubs held independent events. For example, the Carmel Runners Club in Indiana did a group run that ended at a brewery. Runners’ Choice in Kingston, Ontario, had a group run with giveaways.
In 2020, Global Running Day was virtual due to COVID-19.
The Million Kid Run
The Million Kid Run is the youth division of Global Running Day and aims to have one million kids around the world participate in Global Running Day. Its focus is on making fitness fun, and inspiring kids to embrace running as a way to remain healthy and fit. In 2016, 672,030 youths took part. For the Inaugural Million Kid Run, students from around the world participated.
More than 100 organizations support Global Running Day and the Million Kid Run, including the Abbott World Marathon Majors, Atlanta Track Club, Boston Athletic Association, Competitor Group, Houston Marathon Foundation, International Association of Athletics Federations, Athletics for a Better World program, National Cleanup Day, New York Road Runners, Plogging, Running USA, USA Track & Field, 100meta - Grupo de corrida e caminhada and more.
- "Global Running Day". globalrunningday.org. Retrieved 2017-03-01.
- "Global Running Day: As It Happened". NYRR. Retrieved 2017-03-01.
- "Happy Global Running Day". My Best Runs. June 5, 2016. Retrieved May 25, 2021.
- "A Run in Boston With Meb Keflezighi | Competitor.com". Competitor.com. 2016-06-02. Retrieved 2017-03-01.
- "Atlanta Track Club to "Run around the Clock" for Global Running Day | Atlanta Track Club". www.atlantatrackclub.org. Retrieved 2017-03-01.
- "IAAF joins Global Running Day campaign". World Athletics. May 16, 2017. Retrieved May 25, 2021.
- "New York Road Runners to Celebrate 60th Anniversary With 60 Finish Lines in New York City and Around the World on Global Running Day on June 6". New York Road Runners. June 5, 2018. Retrieved May 25, 2021.
- "Happy Global Running Day". New York Times. June 1, 2019. Retrieved May 25, 2021.
- "Global Running Day is going virtual this year". CNN. June 3, 2020. Retrieved May 25, 2021.
- "Here's How to Celebrate Global Running Day!". Runners World. May 20, 2021. Retrieved May 25, 2021.
- "2016 Global Running Day Featuring First-Ever Million Kid Run Set for Wednesday, June 1". New York Road Runner. April 4, 2016. Retrieved May 25, 2021.
- "Global Running Day Aims To Get 1 Million Kids Running On June 1". Women's Running. June 1, 2016. Retrieved May 25, 2021.
- "Brooklyn Middle School Students Each Pledge To Run 5 Miles For Global Running Day". CBS New York. June 1, 2016. Retrieved May 25, 2021.
- "2016 Global Running Day Featuring First-Ever Million Kid Run Set for Wednesday, June 1". NYRR. Retrieved 2017-03-01.