Global Underground 009: San Francisco
|Global Underground 009:
|Compilation album (mixtape)|
|Released||9 November 1998|
|Genre||Progressive house, progressive trance|
|Length||Disc 1: 70:39
Disc 2: 73:45
|Global Underground chronology|
Global Underground 009: Sasha, San Francisco is a DJ mix album in the Global Underground series, compiled and mixed by Sasha. The mix is a retrospective look at a set at Spundae at club 1015 Folsom in San Francisco, USA.
After John Digweed made his first appearance for GU, speculation was rife that the other half of his wildly successful DJ partnership would also join the ranks. Both DJs were already renowned for their earlier CD releases, their first Renaissance mix arguably setting the early benchmark for others to follow.
As the original obsessively followed DJ pin-up, the coming of the first ever solo Sasha mix brought more expectation to this Global release than anything that had gone before. A very big deal indeed.
The CD highlighted Sasha's mushrooming growth in popularity in the USA, where he was well on the way to achieving the mythical status already afforded to him in the UK. The mix was based around his regular gigs at San Fran’s Spundae at club 1015 Folsom, and was an epic showcase of the ultra smooth mixing and careful programming that continue to set him apart from the rest to this day.
When the Global team travelled to San Fran for the CD event, they wandered up and down the infamous 60s dropout neighbourhood Haight-Ashbury filming some tourist footage and grabbing a chat with some of the more colourful acid casualties. Once back in the UK, Sasha called to say the mix was almost complete, but he was really stuck for a suitable intro. When he heard the audio from the GU home movie he was bouncing around the studio with excitement. The introductions to both disks in the mix come from that fortuitously made video tape.
- Sasha - "Intro" – 3:07
- Freaky Chakra - "Platform" – 7:23
- Attaboy - "Solid Space Business" – 2:12
- DJ Sakin - "Protect Your Mind (Van Bellen Mix)" – 6:46
- Classified Project - "Resurrection" – 5:54
- Medway - "The Resurrection E.P." – 6:09
- Slickmick - "Lecture" – 2:42
- Sneaky Alien - "Blue Stream" – 4:48
- Funk Function - "Empress II" – 3:56
- Travel - "Bulgarian (Incisions Remix)" – 6:24
- Joi Cardwell - "Soul to Bare (C. Hornbostel Remix)" – 3:42
- Stoneproof - "Everything's Not You (Quivver's Space Mix)" – 6:23
- Morgan King - "I'm Free (William Orbit Mix)" – 8:44
- Libra present Taylor - "Anomaly - Calling Your Name (Albion Mix)" – 5:29
- Sasha - "Intro" – 3:40
- Narcotik - "Blue" – 5:39
- Der Dritte Raum - "Hale Bopp" – 4:34
- Illuminatus - "Hope" – 4:48
- Dave Kane - "Clarkness" – 4:48
- Eclipse Eight - "Acoustic Principles" – 5:17
- Mana - "Psionic" – 4:48
- Breeder - "The Chain" – 9:38
- Paragliders - "Change Me" – 5:46
- Breeder - "Twilo Thunder" – 9:08
- Jark Prongo - "Movin' Thru Your System" – 5:02
- DJ Tomcraft - "The Mission" – 5:46
- Tilt - "I Dream (Tilt's Resurrection Mix)" – 4:45
The US release was handled by Thrive Records, who numbered the GU releases differently. Thrive's version is numbered as GU003. One major difference between the US and UK releases is that the track Der Dritte Raum - "Hale Bopp" (Disc 2, Track 3 in UK release) is omitted, reducing the number of tracks on the US version to 26.
- Global Underground 009: San Francisco at Discogs
- Global Underground 009: San Francisco at MusicBrainz (list of releases)