Global Wireless Solutions
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Global Wireless Solutions, Inc. (GWS) is an engineering firm headquartered in Dulles, Virginia (USA) that provides performance measurement services. GWS does wireless network benchmarking, providing network testing and data and engineering analysis in the mobile and wireless network industries.
Products and Services
Mobile Network Data Collection and Testing
GWS Drive Testing: GWS conducts drive testing to collect and monitor voice and packet data metrics on wireless networks. GWS maintains a fleet of testing vehicles that are equipped with roof-mounted antenna systems, an intricate interior setup of mobile devices, and a data collection laptop to monitor mobile devices. These testing vehicles drive along pre-determined routes, designed to allow for data collection across a wide array of demographics.
GWS Venue Testing: GWS also conducts testing pedestrian oriented facilities and locations. This may include, for example, areas that have high traffic such as shopping centers, mass transit zones or arenas. GWS’s uses custom-made data collection backpacks that are equipped with the same advanced equipment as used in their drive tests. Similar to a drive test, GWS engineers walk along a predetermined venue routes to collect data.
GWS Mobile Diagnostic App: GWS also has a mobile app that performs wireless network tests. There are two versions of the app – an enterprise version and a streamlined consumer version. The app, built for Android and iPhone devices, tests both mobile and Wi-Fi networks, measuring the network’s KPIs and providing real-time reporting integrated with GWS’s Mobistat service.
GWS generates reports utilizing the data collected from their network tests. GWS uses Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) in their benchmarking reports to analyze a wireless operator’s network performance across geographical markets and over time.
Mobistat, a web-based reporting and mapping tool, measures mobile network performance.Mobistat is used to compile, analyze, and trend data for multiple years’ worth of network testing across geographical markets and by region.
Background and Examples of Network Benchmark Tests
Data collected, measured and benchmarked from GWS network drive and venue tests are used by mobile operators to make marketing claims and for engineering purposes to optimize a wireless network.
GWS has tested and measured wireless network performance of Tier 1 and other mobile operators for 19 years. This has resulted in the collection of 9 million miles worth of data. Recent examples of benchmarking by GWS include network data collection and testing during 2014 at:
- Historical and notable locations in London including the London commuter railway 
- South by Southwest Exposition and Festival in San Antonio, Texas 
- New York City’s subway system 
- NCAA Basketball Tournament in San Antonio, Texas 
- CTIA Wireless Show in Las Vegas 
- Seattle-Tacoma International Airport 
- Mardi Gras in New Orleans, Louisiana 
- Tourist locations in Las Vegas, Nevada 
- Popular Irish Bars in Manhattan, New York 
1996: Global Wireless Solutions, Inc. was founded in 1996 by Dr. Paul Carter.
2000: GWS’s first year of nationwide mobile network benchmark testing in the U.S.
June 2009: GWS launches the mobile application, TroubleSpots, which allows everyday mobile phone users to report dropped calls and no-service areas to GWS in real-time.
February 2014: the GWS Mobile Diagnostic App was previewed at Mobile World Congress and testing was conducted of the mobile networks throughout the venue.
August 2014: the GWS Mobile Diagnostic App enterprise version was released to the public.
March 2015: the GWS Mobile Diagnostic App consumer version was released to the public.
FierceWireless recognized Global Wireless Solutions, Inc. as one of the top wireless companies of 2009 in its Fierce 15 list.
In 2011, the Virginia Chamber of Commerce named Global Wireless Solutions, Inc. as one of its Fantastic 50: a list of the fastest-growing companies in the state.
- "Global Wireless Solutions, Inc.: Private Company Information - Businessweek". Businessweek.com. Retrieved 2015-06-02.
- Overly, Steven (2010-10-11). "Firm's gadget-filled vans tests network quality for cellular, mobile broadband providers". The Washington Post. ISSN 0190-8286. Retrieved 2015-06-02.
- "Wireless network tester must evolve as quickly as the gadgets it analyzes - Washington Business Journal". Washington Business Journal. Retrieved 2015-06-02.
- "How do you keep thousands of Facebook-loving spectators at major sports events happy? | ITProPortal.com". Retrieved 2015-06-02.
- "- FierceMobileIT". FierceMobileIT. Retrieved 2015-06-02.
- Dennis, Tony. "Global Wireless Solutions launches new version of enterprise-grade network diagnostic appGoMo News". www.gomonews.com. Retrieved 2015-06-02.
- "Global Wireless Solutions releases network diagnostic tool in the form of an app". FierceWirelessTech. Retrieved 2015-06-02.
- "GWS launches internet connection benchmarking app for iPhone | ITProPortal.com". Retrieved 2015-06-02.
- "Global Wireless Solutions Unveils "MobiStat" Interactive Reporting and Mapping Tool to Track Call Performance During Drive Tests | FreshNews.com". www.freshnews.com. Retrieved 2015-06-02.
- "Orange Bowl Network Performance Data | AT&T". about.att.com. Retrieved 2015-06-02.
- "Worst mobile networks for London rail commuters revealed". Retrieved 2015-06-02.
- "SXSW Showcases AT&T LTE Network Speed and Performance | AT&T". about.att.com. Retrieved 2015-06-02.
- "Find Out Which New York Subway Line Has the Best Cell Phone Coverage". Retrieved 2015-06-02.
- "Global Wireless Solutions ranked AT&T No. 1 provider inside Spurs arena - San Antonio Business Journal". San Antonio Business Journal. Retrieved 2015-06-02.
- "Carrier Networks Weather Heavy CTIA Traffic". Retrieved 2015-06-02.
- "Wireless Week — CTIA2013 Official Show Daily — Day 3" (PDF).
- "Wireless Week — Super Mobility Week — Official Show Daily — Day 3" (PDF).
- "AT&T 4G LTE Network Flies by Competition at Sea-Tac Airport in Seattle | AT&T". about.att.com. Retrieved 2015-06-02.
- "AT&T's Network Performance at Mardi Gras | AT&T". about.att.com. Retrieved 2015-06-02.
- Hostetler, Krista. "What's the most popular place to take selfies in Las Vegas?". Retrieved 2015-06-02.
- Chemi, Eric. "Selfie much? The best bars for St Patrick's Day". Retrieved 2015-06-02.
- "Global Wireless Solutions Intros TroubleSpots App for BlackBerry Devices". technews.tmcnet.com. Retrieved 2015-06-02.
- "The Mobile Network » How good are the mobile networks at Mobile World Congress?". the-mobile-network.com. Retrieved 2015-06-02.
- Dennis, Tony. "GWS adds app to its network test solutionsGoMo News". www.gomonews.com. Retrieved 2015-06-02.
- "Global Wireless Solutions - Top Wireless Company 2009: FierceWireless, Fierce 15". FierceWireless. Retrieved 2015-06-02.
- "Global Wireless Solutions Honored as Recipient of Virginia`s 2011 Fantastic 50 Awards". Reuters. 2011-04-29. Retrieved 2015-06-02.