Global journalism is a news style that encompasses a global outlook and considers issues that transcend national boundaries like climate change, focusing on news that are intercontinental and the relationships between nation states. Global journalism is different from foreign journalism in that, foreign journalism focuses on stories in different regions in that regions specific context, while global journalism works to bring foreign issues into a global context.
Scholars such as Stephen Ward feel that traditional media practices are typically designed to deal with news on the national rather than global level, which negatively impacts an outlet's ability to report on news on the global level. Peter Berglez believes that the focus of global journalism is the increasingly complex relations caused by globalization and that while global journalism exists in news, it has yet to be defined and established as a style, and is often confused with foreign journalism. He also conceptualizes global journalism into three different relationships, global space, global powers, and global identities, which he believes are a common factor in representations of global journalism and could be helpful to the empirical studies of global journalism as a news style.
- Ward, Stephen J. A. (2010-03-26). Global Journalism Ethics. McGill-Queen's Press - MQUP. ISBN 9780773585225.
- (Arrie), De Beer, A. S.; 1924-2012., Merrill, John Calhoun (2009). Global journalism : topical issues and media systems. Pearson, Allyn and Bacon. ISBN 9780205608119. OCLC 228744366.
- Berglez, Peter (2008-12-01). "What Is Global Journalism?". Journalism Studies. 9 (6): 845–858. doi:10.1080/14616700802337727. ISSN 1461-670X.
- Merrill, John Calhoun (1983). Global journalism: a survey of the world's mass media. Longman. ISBN 9780582283381.
- Herbert, John (2013-02-11). Practising Global Journalism: Exploring reporting issues worldwide. Taylor & Francis. ISBN 9781136029851.
- Löffelholz, Martin; Weaver, David (2008-02-11). Global Journalism Research: Theories, Methods, Findings, Future. Wiley. ISBN 9781405153324.
- Jr, Yusuf Kalyango; Mould, D. (2014-10-21). Global Journalism Practice and New Media Performance. Springer. ISBN 9781137440563.