This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (June 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Globalive Communications Corporation is a privately held Canadian communications and investment company founded in 1997. Globalive is best known for its Wind Mobile, Yak Communications, and OneConnect brands. The company's investment arm, Globalive Capital, was founded in 2013, making investments in businesses, primarily in technology, media and telecommunications companies operating in Canada and the United States. It holds investments in over 25 private companies, 15 micro-cap public companies and 10 venture funds.
History/Group of Companies
1998: Canopco, Interclear, Assemble, and Globalive Communications
Globalive founder and Chief Executive Officer Anthony Lacavera started Canopco, in the hospitality industry. Canopco was ranked 5th in Profit Magazine's list of "Canada's Hottest Start-ups" in 2001. In January 2000, Lacavera also launched InterClear, a billing and collection service. In January 2002, Lacavera launched his third product, Assemble Conferencing. These businesses were consolidated in January 2003 as Globalive Communications.
2000: Enunciate Conferencing
Globalive co-founded Enunciate Conferencing, a fast-growing event conferencing service provider, which was divested to Premiere Global Services.
Globalive founded OneConnect in 2003 and quickly built it into one of Canada's largest independent business telecommunications providers, selling to small and medium-sized businesses in the hospitality, retail, franchise, security, real estate and medical industries.
2006: Yak Communications
Globalive acquired Yak Communications Inc. in an all-cash offer of US$67.7 million, and has since grown the company to a leadership position in residential communications services, adding Digital Home Phone and Internet service to its established long-distance calling services.
Globalive co-founded Pragmatic Solutions, a conferencing and collaborations company specializing in audio, web, and video conferencing. Pragmatic has grown into one of North America's conferencing providers with $7.5 million in annual revenue.
Globalive founded WIND Mobile in 2008. WIND Mobile made a bid of $442M (CAD) to secure the wireless spectrum required for the launch of the WIND Mobile network in Canada, with the backing of Egypt's Orascom Telecom. Globalive subsequently made its first purchase in Industry Canada's radio spectrum auction, setting the stage for a new national cell phone network in Canada.
2013: In January 2013, Globalive launched Globalive Capital, a VC company focused on accelerating early stage technology and telecommunications companies. Globalive Capital also holds interest in real estate and co-investments. Since 2000, the Globalive group has founded, seeded, financed, operated, and divested a number of companies in the Internet, Communications, and Technology sectors.
2015: Anthony Lacavera stepped down as Chief Executive Officer of Globalive Capital, staying on as the company's Chairman. Brice Scheschuk, previously Chief Financial Officer, was appointed the new Chief Executive Officer of Globalive Communications.
2017: In October 2017, Globalive launched a company that curates and produces multimedia content focused on business and technology trends. Globalive Media was co-founded by Anthony Lacavera and consumer technology journalist Michael Bancroft.
2018: In November 2018, Globalive Media premiered its first television series. The weekly program, which uncovers technologies changing the way people live and do business, airs on Bloomberg Television across its global markets.
Globalive Capital’s Investments
In addition to Globalive's investments in the telecommunications, media and technology sector, Globalive has built a significant portfolio of real estate holdings, primarily in two asset classes: student housing (Brock View Rentals) and residential Toronto condominiums (primarily investments in Plazacorp Developments).
- About Globalive. Globalive. Retrieved August 8, 2015
- Premiere Global Continues Investment Strategy with Acquisition of Enunciate Conferencing and Repurchase of 5% of Its Shares Outstanding Year-to-Date. Business Wire. September 8, 2006
- About us. OneConnect. Retrieved July 21, 2015
- Yak Communications agrees to 67.7M US friendly takeover. The Globe and Mail. September 21, 2006
- "About Pragmatic". www.thinkpragmatic.com. Retrieved July 21, 2015.
- Flash: Decision Reached in Rare Public Hearing Proceeding into the Ownership and Control of a Canadian Telecommunications Carrier. Davies, October 30, 2009
- Government of Canada Varies CRTC Decision on Globalive. Government of Canada, December 11, 2009
- WIND launches with cheaper phone rates. The Star, December 16, 2009
- Globalive's WIND Mobile keeps it simple. the Globe and Mail, August 23, 2012
- Vimpelcom to sell WIND Mobile stake for about $275-million to Globalive, sources say. Financial Post, September 15, 2014.
- Feds approve Wind Mobile buyout deal, with conditions. CTV News, November 4, 2014
- "Vimpelcom to sell WIND Mobile stake to Canadian minority owner" (Press release). Reuters. 15 September 2014.
- "Shaw enters wireless market with closing of Wind Mobile deal". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 2 March 2016.
- "Wind Mobile CEO resigns to lead new venture capital firm". www.itbusiness.ca. January 18, 2013.
- "Distributel Acquires Yak Communications". www.newswire.ca.
- Corp, Globalive Communications. "Globalive Capital announces the sale of Yak Communications, OneConnect Services Inc. and Canopco". www.newswire.ca. Retrieved 2020-04-22.
- "Globalive Media Takes Viewers "Beyond Innovation" With Insider's Look At Technology's Top Changemakers Around The World". PR Newswire. Retrieved 19 November 2018.
- About Globalive Capital. Globalive, Retrieved July 21, 2015