Globe Life Field
Construction site in 2017. The AT&T Stadium is visible in the background.
|Location||Arlington, Texas, U.S.|
|Owner||City of Arlington|
|Broke ground||September 28, 2017|
|Construction cost||$1.1 billion|
|Structural engineer||Walter P Moore|
|Services engineer||M–E Engineers, Inc.|
|General contractor||Manhattan Construction Company|
|Texas Rangers (MLB) (2020–) planned|
Globe Life Field is a baseball park under construction in Arlington, Texas. It will serve as the home of the Texas Rangers of Major League Baseball. Globe Life and Accident Insurance Company, a subsidiary of McKinney, Texas-based Torchmark Corporation, owns the naming rights for the facility through 2048. The new ballpark is going to be constructed across the street just south of Globe Life Park.
On May 20, 2016, the Rangers announced that they would vacate Globe Life Park in Arlington. The new stadium will be constructed in a public/private partnership and have a retractable roof. The ballpark was approved on the following Election Day. HKS, Inc. was announced as the architect on January 5, 2017.
The Rangers cited weather as the reason attendances at Globe Life Park are lower than in other baseball stadiums in major metropolitan areas, since it is prone to high temperatures and rain delays. Therefore, the Rangers are proposing their new ballpark be constructed with a roof. Unlike its predecessors, the new stadium's center-field will face northeast, instead of southeast.
The preliminary 3D renderings and artwork of the new stadium show the design to be very similar to the looks and layout of Minute Maid Park, the Houston Astros' stadium. Final designs have not been unveiled as of August 2017. A new shopping mall, as well as a Loews Hotel, and a ballpark village are planned to go along with the new stadium. The Rangers have also planned to make Globe Life Park in Arlington part of the Texas Live! complex.
The plans to build the stadium have generated a mixed reaction. The new stadium will mean a more comfortable environment to watch baseball but will extend existing taxes used to pay for AT&T Stadium. According to The Dallas Morning News, "The deal calls for the city to issue $500 million in bonds to help pay for the stadium. A half-cent of sales tax, 2 percent hotel occupancy tax and 5 percent car rental tax would pay off those bonds over an estimated 30 years. Voters also approved a ticket tax of up to 10 percent and parking tax of up to $3 at the new stadium. That money would be used for some of the Rangers' portion of the debt, which was criticized by the opposition campaign."
- Brumfield, Loyd (September 21, 2017). "Rangers Unveil First Renderings of New Globe Life Field, Set to Break Ground Next Week". The Dallas Morning News. Retrieved September 21, 2017.
- Sullivan, T. R. (January 5, 2017). "Rangers Tab HKS to Design New Ballpark". Major League Baseball Advanced Media. Retrieved January 5, 2017.
- "Globe Life Field". VLK Architects. Retrieved May 1, 2018.
- "Rangers Unveil More Globe Life Field Design Plans, With Emphasis On Natural Light". SportsBusiness Daily. September 22, 2017. Retrieved October 3, 2017.
- "Sports Facilties". JMEG Electrical Contractors, Inc. Retrieved February 28, 2018.
- "Manhattan Construction Company to build new multi-purpose ballpark for Texas Rangers" (Press release). Manhattan Construction Company. September 29, 2017. Retrieved October 3, 2017.
- Mosier, Jeff (May 20, 2016). "Rangers New Stadium Plans Unveiled; Find Out What It Will Cost and Timeline for Its Construction". The Dallas Morning News. Retrieved May 25, 2016.
- Reichard, Kevin (August 24, 2017). "Globe Life Retains Rangers Ballpark Naming Rights". Ballpark Digest. Retrieved August 24, 2017.
- Sullivan, T. R. (May 20, 2016). "Rangers, Arlington Announce New Ballpark". Major League Baseball Advanced Media. Retrieved May 20, 2016.
- Sullivan, T. R. (November 8, 2016). "Raise the Roof: Rangers' New Ballpark Approved". Major League Baseball Advanced Media. Retrieved November 8, 2016.
- "Globe Life Field". Ballparks of Baseball. Retrieved February 28, 2018.
- "Dallas Cowboys, Stadium Info". =stadiums of Pro Football. Retrieved February 28, 2018.
- "Ballpark Renderings". Texas Live.
- "10 Things to Know About the New Rangers Ballpark, Including Where It Will Be and How Much It Will Cost". The Dallas Morning News. May 22, 2016. Retrieved August 28, 2016.
Globe Life Park in Arlington
| Home of the
|This article about a baseball venue in Texas is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|