This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Birth name||Aristotle Pollisco|
Universal Records (Philippines)|
Aristotle Pollisco, known by his stage name Gloc-9, is an Awit Award-winning Filipino rapper and songwriter. His fast-flowing vocal style has made him one of the most successful hip-hop artists in the Philippines. He was described by fellow Filipino rapper Francis Magalona as "a blacksmith of words and letters, and a true Filipino poet."
He has collaborated on almost a dozen songs with other OPM artists; "Lando" with the late Francis M, "Upuan" with Jaezelle, "Bagsakan" with Parokya ni Edgar , "Baon" with Gab Chee Kee of Parokya ni Edgar and Francis M, and "Sari-Saring Kwento" with Noel Cabangon and Champ Lui Pio. His songs mostly tackle social issues such as social injustices, poverty and patriotism. He began his musical career with the gangsta rap group Death Threat.
Gloc-9 is notably one of the few artists in the Philippine music scene who has won an award in every album he created.
- 1 Career
- 2 Personal life
- 3 Discography
- 4 Endorsements and appearances
- 5 Awards
- 6 See also
- 7 References
- 8 External links
In Death Threat
In his song Talumpati, Gloc-9 states that he joined a drive-by show by Andrew E.. After the show, a member of the Filipino hip hop group Death Threat came in to him then gave a paper on which the contact number of the group's leader Beware (Ronald Salanga) was written. After a phone call with Beware, he joined the group in which he began to make a name for himself in the local underground hip hop scene. His stage name "Gloc-9" came into rise when Beware told him that he must have a rap name in order to become a rapper. A number of options were suggested: MAGNUM45 and KALIBRE28 were rejected outright, but he decided that Glock 9, minus the "k", sounded catchy.
Death Threat released several albums until one day Beware had to leave the group and asked Gloc-9 to be the leader of the group together with Hi-Jakk (which Gloc-9 describes as a "rapper who does not know how to rap" in his song Talumpati). In 1997, Death Threat released their third album "Kings of Da Undaground," but it only features Hi-Jakkk and Gloc-9. The album received 4x platinum certification despite of having no mainstream promotion but only the word of mouth in the streets.
As duo with Hi-Jakkk
Within the same year, the duo of Gloc-9 and Hi-Jakkk started to release albums not carrying the name of Death Threat under Viva Records. These albums are Domination that was certified gold, Tha Revelation certified platinum and Domination II certified gold. In his release "Talumpati", Gloc-9 describes these albums as ones that have not been thought-out and of being full of boastfulness. After their third album together, Gloc-9 decided to leave Hi-Jakkk and continue his career solo.
Solo with Star Music
This section does not follow Wikipedia's guidelines on the use of different tenses. (March 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
While working as a duo, both Gloc-9 and Hi-Jakkk continued to submit their solo demos until year 2000, when Christian Martinez of Star Music finally discovered Gloc-9's talent after 3 months of searching, when an executive of ABS-CBN accidentally put on his demo from a recording found in a scrap box.
At first, Gloc-9 composed and sang his own songs for soundtracks of several Star Cinema films like Trip and Jologs. In 2002, he also joined Himig Handog Love Songs, a song-writing competition operated by the ABS-CBN Corporation and Star Music with his song "Bakit?" (co-written with Mike Villegas). The song has been interpreted by him together with Cookie Chua, becoming one of the finalists in the competition but without winning the title as the grand prize went to "Kung Ako Na Lang Sana" written by Socrates Villanueva and interpreted by Bituin Escalante. One of his competitors in this song-writing competition was Jimmy Antiporda with the song "Hindi Na Bale" performed by Jessa Zaragoza. The latter was mentioned in Gloc-9's song "Gusto Ko".
In 2003, Gloc-9 released his debut album under Star Music entitled G9. Included in this album are songs that had been used in several Star Cinema films before. His second album, Ako Si... was released in 2005 under Star Music.
- G9 (2003)
- Ako Si... (2005)
- Diploma (2007)
- Matrikula (2009)
- Talumpati (2011)
- MKNM: Mga Kwento Ng Makata (2012)
- Liham at Lihim (2013)
- Sukli (2016)
- Rotonda” (2017)
EPs and demos
- Biyahe ng Pangarap (2014)
- The Reunion: An Eraserheads Tribute Album
- Song: Superproxy (with Razorback)
- FPJ's Ang Probinsyano (Music from the Original TV Series)
- Song: Ang Probinsyano (with Ebe Dancel)
- OPM Numero Uno
- Song: Sirena (featuring Ebe Dancel)
- Awit ng Pag-Hilom (A Gift for the Children of the Storm)
- Song: Langgam
- Philpop 2013
- Song: Papel (with Joey Ayala featuring Denise Barbacena)
- The Revelation
- Song: Gloc-9
- Tunog Natin: Songs from Home
- Song: Kahit Maputi na ang Buhok Ko (with Tricia Garcia)
- Pinoy Ako
- Laklak (with Dong Abay)
- Hataw Na! Pasko Na!
- X'Mass Rapper
- Pasko na Naman
- Wazzup Wazzup (Christmas Remix) (with Akafellas and JM)
- Krystala (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
- Laban Krystala (with JM)
- Pinoy Champs
- Super Astig HIts
- Sirena (featuring Ebe Dancel)
- Magda (featuring Rico Blanco)
- I Star 15 Anniversary Collection (The Best of Alternative & Rock Songs)
- Isang Araw
- Simpleng Tao
- The Brightest Stars of Christmas
- Song: Pasko na Naman
- Seasons of Love
- Basta't Kasama Ka (with Lirah Bermudez)
- Para sa Bayan (with LIrah Bermudez)
- Panatang Makabayani
- Song: Eh Di Ako (Gloc-9 version)
- My First Romance (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
- Simpleng Tao
- Bakit? (with Cookie Chua)
- Himig Handog Love Songs
- Song: Bakit? (with Cookie Chua)
- Jologs (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
- Song: Masama Yan (with John Prats)
Collaborative and Underground albums
- Kings of da Undaground (with Death Threat) (1997)
- Domination (with Hi-Jakkk) (1997)
- Domination II (with Hi-Jakkk) (1999)
- Still Wanted: Da 2nd Chapter (with Death Threat) (2002)
- "Hari ng Tondo" (Feat. Denise Barbacena) (from the 2011 movie Manila Kingpin: The Asiong Salonga Story)
- "Isang Araw"
- "Ako Si"
- "Simpleng Tao"
- "Bakit" (Feat. Cooky Chua)
- "Ayoko Na"
- "Masama Yan"
- "Nag-iisang Mundo"
- "Ipagpatawad Mo" (Feat. Dzing Macanaya)
- "Love Story Ko"
- "Liwanag" (Feat. Francis Magalona)
- "Get 2 Know You" (Feat. Keith Martin)
- "Lando" (Feat. Francis Magalona)
- "Torpedo" (Feat. JP Cuison of Kiko Machine)
- "Bagsakan" (Feat. Parokya ni Edgar & Francis Magalona) (from their 2005 album Halina Sa Parokya)
- "Sumayaw Ka"
- "Upuan" (Feat. Jeazell Grutas of Zelle)
- "Balita" (Feat. Gabby Alipe of Urbandub)
- "Martilyo" (Feat. Letter Day Story)
- "Walang Natira" (Feat. Sheng Belmonte)
- "Elmer" (Feat. Jaq Dionisio & Jomal Linao of Kamikazee)
- "Kung Tama Siya" (Feat. Jaq Dionisio)
- "One Hit Combo" (Feat. Parokya ni Edgar) (from their 2011 album Middle-Age Juvenile Novelty Pop-Rockers)
- "Sirena" (Feat. Ebe Dancel)
- "Alalay ng Hari" (Feat. Allan Mitchell Silonga)
- "Bakit Hindi" (Feat. Billy Crawford)
- "Hindi Mo Nadinig" (Feat. Jay Durias)
- "Buti Na Lang" (Feat. Mcoy Fundales of Kenyo)
- "Kunwari" (Kamikazee Feat. Biboy Garcia & Manuel Legarda)
- "Dapat Tama" (Feat. Denise Barbacena) (GMA Network Campaign for Election 2013)
- "Katulad ng Iba" (Feat. Zia Quizon)
- "Sikat na si Pepe"
- "Magda" (Feat. Rico Blanco)
- "Siga" (Feat. Quest)
- "Hindi Sapat" (Feat. Denise Barbacena)
- "Ipaglaban Mo!" (with KZ Tandingan) (from the 2014 TV series of the same title)
- "Takipsilim" (Feat. Regine Velasquez-Alcasid)
- "Pison" (Feat. Chito Miranda)
- "Bayad Ko" (Feat. Noel Cabangon)
- "Bugtong" (Feat. Yeng Constantino)
- "Inday" (Feat. Cathy Go)
- "Guitarero" (Feat. Denise Barbacena)
- "Ang Parokya" (Feat. Parokya ni Edgar & Frank Magalona) (from their 2013 album Bente)
- "Anting-Anting" (Sponge Cola & Denise Barbacena) (Sponge Cola's second single from their fifth album Ultrablessed)
- "Booster C One Shot" (Feat. Denise Barbacena)
- "Kasalanan" (6cyclemind)
- "The Bobo Song" (Feat. Loonie)
- "Tao" (Feat. Cookie Chua)
- "Bituwin" (Feat. Allan Mitchel)
- "Kaibigan Ko" (Feat. The Hardware Syndrome with Itoy & Willie of the Splindicate Posse)
- "Pangarap" (Feat. Raimund Marasigan)
- "Bahala Na" (Feat. Moymoy Palaboy & Sisa of Crazy as Pinoy & Biboy)
- "Liwanag" (Feat. Francis Magalona)
- "Ako Ay Ikaw Rin"
- "Excuse Me Po"
- "My Number" (Feat. Mitchell)
- "Usap Tayo"
- "Lapis at Papel"
- "Kayo" (Feat. Mitchell)
- "Okay Ako"
- "Sila" (Feat. Loonie & Konflick of Death Threat)
- "Businessman" (Feat. Vinci Montaner)
- "Para Sa Bayan" (Feat. Lirah Bermudez)
- "Basta't Kasama Ka" (Feat. Lirah Bermudez)
- "Hinahanap ng Puso" (Feat. Hannah Romawac of Session Road)
- "Pareho Tayo" (Feat. Allan Mitchell)
- "Ang Probinsyano" (Feat. Ebe Dancel)
- "Sagwan" (Feat. Monty Macalino of Mayonnaise)
- "Industriya" (Feat. KZ Tandingan)
- "Ice Tubig"
- "Lagi" (Feat. Al James)
Endorsements and appearances
- 2013: Pilipinas Got Talent Season 4 Quarter Finals, Special Number
- 2011: Protégé: The Battle For The Big Break GMA Network Mentors
|2017||12th Myx Music Awards||Favorite Urban Video – "Hoy!"||Won|
|Best Music Video (Special Award) – "Hoy!"||Won|
|2015||10th Myx Music Awards||Favorite Urban Video – "Businessman"||Won|
|Favorite Collaboration – "Takipsilim" ft. Regine Velasquez-Alcasid||Won|
|7th PMPC Star Awards for Music||Male Recording Artist of the Year – Biyahe ng Pangarap||Won|
|2014||9th Myx Music Awards||Favorite Music Video – "Magda"||Won|
|Favorite Song – "Magda"||Won|
|Favorite Urban Video – "Magda"||Won|
|Favorite Collaboration – "Magda" ft. Rico Blanco||Won|
|6th PMPC Star Awards for Music||Album of the Year – Liham at Lihim||Won|
|Rap Album of the Year – Liham at Lihim||Won|
|Rap Artist of the Year||Won|
|27th Awit Awards||Album of the Year – Liham at Lihim||Won|
|Song of the Year – "Magda"||Won|
|Best Novelty Recording – "Papel"||Won|
|Best Rap Recording – "Magda"||Won|
|Best Collaboration – "Magda" ft. Rico Blanco||Won|
|Best Performance by a Group Recording Artists – "Ang Parokya" by Parokya Ni Edgar ft. Gloc-9 and Frank Magalona||Won|
|2013||8th Myx Music Awards||Favorite Song – "Sirena"||Won|
|Favorite Collaboration – "Sirena" ft. Ebe Dancel||Won|
|Favorite Myx Live! Performance||Won|
|5th PMPC Star Awards for Music||Music Video of the Year – "Sirena"||Won|
|26th Awit Awards||Album of the Year – MKNM: Mga Kwento Ng Makata||Won|
|Song of the Year – "Sirena"||Won|
|Music Video of the Year – "Sirena"||Won|
|2012||Globe Tatt Awards 2012||Indie Rocker||Won|
|7th Myx Music Awards||Favorite Male Artist||Won|
|Favorite Urban Video – "Elmer"||Won|
|Favorite Collaboration – "One Hit Combo" by Parokya Ni Edgar ft. Gloc-9||Won|
|25th Awit Awards||Best Collaboration – "Walang Natira" ft. Sheng Belmonte||Won|
|Best Rap Recording – "Walang Natira"||Won|
|2011||6th Myx Music Awards||Favorite Male Artist||Won|
|3rd PMPC Star Awards for Music||Music Video of the Year – "Walang Natira"||Won|
|Rap Album of the Year – Talumpati||Won|
|Rap Artist of the Year||Won|
|2010||23rd Awit Awards||Song Of The Year – "Upuan"
(the first Rap Song in the history of Awit Awards)
|Best Rap Recording – "Upuan"||Won|
|Best Collaboration – "Upuan"||Won|
|Best Sound Engineered – "Upuan"||Won|
|Best Rock/Alternative Recording – "Martilyo"||Won|
|Tambayan 101.9 OPM Awards||Song Of The Year – "Upuan"||Won|
|5th Myx Music Awards||Favorite Urban Video – "Upuan"||Won|
|Wave891 Urban Music Awards||Best Male Hip Hop||Won|
|2009||Waki OPM Awards 101.9||Best Dance Hit – "Sumayaw Ka"||Won|
|Philippine Hip Hop Awards||Rap Artist Of The Year||Won|
|21st Awit Awards||Best Dance Recording – "Sumayaw Ka"||Won|
|2007||Philippine Hip Hop Awards||Rap Artist Of The Year||Won|
|MTV Pilipinas||Video Of The Year – "Sayang"||Won|
|2003||Awit Awards||Best Christmas Song – "Pasko Na Naman"||Won|
|2002||Awit Awards||Best Rap Recording – "Isang Araw"||Won|
- Filipino hip hop
- Death Threat (hip hop musician)
- Francis Magalona
- List of Filipino hip hop artists
- List of awards and nominations received by Gloc-9
- Diokno, Pepe (2007-05-28). "Francis M, rapper, TV celeb, "Idol" judge, modern hero". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Archived from the original on 2008-09-23. Retrieved 2008-02-23.
- "MYX Music Awards 2017 winners". Philippine Star. 20 March 2017. Retrieved 22 September 2017.
- "FULL LIST: Winners, Myx Music Awards 2015". Rappler. 26 March 2015. Retrieved 22 September 2017.
- "FULL LIST: Winners, PMPC Star Awards for Music 2015". Rappler. 11 November 2015. Retrieved 22 September 2017.
- "ENTERTAINMENT Full list: Winners and nominees, MYX Music Awards 2014". Rappler. 27 March 2014. Retrieved 22 September 2017.
- "Sarah Geronimo leads winners at 6th Star Awards for Music". Philippine Star. 15 September 2014. Retrieved 22 September 2017.