Gloria De Piero
|Gloria De Piero
|Shadow Minister for Young People and Voter Registration|
14 September 2015
|Preceded by||Position established|
|Shadow Minister for Women and Equalities|
7 October 2013 – 14 September 2015
Harriet Harman (Acting)
|Preceded by||Yvette Cooper|
|Succeeded by||Kate Green|
|Member of Parliament
6 May 2010
|Preceded by||Geoff Hoon|
|Born|| 21 December 1972
|Alma mater||Birmingham City University
University of Westminster
University of London
Gloria De Piero (born 21 December 1972) is a British Labour Party politician and journalist who has been the Member of Parliament (MP) for Ashfield since 2010. She was previously known for her work on GMTV.
After serving as a shadow minister from October 2010, De Piero was promoted to the shadow cabinet in 2013 as Shadow Minister for Women and Equalities. In 2015 she was appointed Shadow Minister for Young People and Voter Registration.
De Piero was born in Bradford, Yorkshire and is of Italian descent. She lived in the working class area of south-west Bradford known as Wibsey, traditionally a Labour-voting area. She attended Marshfields Primary School in Little Horton then Priestman Middle School on Thornton Lane in Little Horton until 1986. From around the time De Piero was 10, neither of her parents were in employment owing to her father's ill-health.
She attended the Roman Catholic Yorkshire Martyrs Catholic College on Westgate Hill Street. She completed her A Levels at Bradford and Ilkley College, and joined the Labour Party at 18. De Piero then went to the University of Central England, where she served an annual term as President of the Student Union, before graduating as a BA in Social Science from the University of Westminster in 1996. She was involved in the Labour Student campaign of 1996–97 at the national base. She later obtained an MSc in Social and Political Theory from Birkbeck, University of London in 2001.
De Piero began her career in journalism as a researcher on Jonathan Dimbleby's TV programme from 1997 to 1998. She then moved to the BBC where she worked at On the Record from 1998 to 2002, The Politics Show from 2002–03 and BBC Radio 4's Westminster Hour, where she produced and reported on the Palace of Westminster.
De Piero has also been an occasional presenter on the Weekend Breakfast and Weekend News programmes on BBC Radio 5 Live.
In February 2010, De Piero resigned from GMTV to seek selection as the Labour Party's candidate for the Ashfield constituency in the 2010 general election. The position became available following the announcement that the constituency's Labour MP, former Defence Secretary Geoff Hoon, would be stepping down at the election. On 20 March 2010, De Piero was selected by the local Labour Party as its candidate.
She was elected by a narrow margin to the seat with a majority of 192 votes (compared to 10,213 in 2005) after a 17.2% swing to the Liberal Democrats' Jason Zadrozny – the second largest such swing in the 2010 election.
In October 2010, Labour leader Ed Miliband appointed De Piero as a shadow culture minister. In the 2011 reshuffle, De Piero became Shadow Minister for Crime Prevention, and in 2013, she was promoted to the shadow cabinet as Shadow Minister for Women and Equalities.
In 2015, De Piero was elected to the Labour Party's Conference Arrangements Committee with 109,888 votes, a high margin above unsuccessful candidates. In new Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn's first shadow cabinet, De Piero was made Shadow Minister for Young People and Voter Registration, a new shadow cabinet-level role.
In 2010 The Mail on Sunday reported that De Piero had posed for topless photos aged 15. The issue re-emerged on 17 October 2013 when De Piero accused and objected to an unnamed news agency of attempting to acquire the photos for a national newspaper. Former Conservative MP Louise Mensch said on the Today (BBC Radio 4) programme: "Women in particular, I think, will be cheered by her refusal to be cowed by this quasi-sexual or moralistic assault on her behaviour as a 15-year-old girl". It later emerged that the photos had been purchased by The Mail on Sunday in 2010. De Piero became aware of this after the 2013 purchases attempt and at her request the paper sent the photos and negatives to De Piero along with a letter of apology.
- "MP Gloria de Piero: Call off the hunt for topless pictures", BBC News, 17 October 2013
- .Andy McSmith "Gloria de Piero's question for the public: why do you hate me?", The Independent, 22 October 2012
- Gloria quits GMTV to pursue political career Mail Online, accessed 4 March 2010
- Paul Bentley (28 February 2010). "Backlash as Labour lines up GMTV's Gloria De Piero for Hoon seat at election". Daily Mail. Retrieved 21 March 2010.
- Andrew Sparrow (11 February 2010). "Geoff Hoon to stand down at general election". The Guardian. Retrieved 21 March 2010.
- Brendan Carlin (21 March 2010). "Tony Blair's 'favourite broadcaster' Gloria De Piero selected for safe Labour seat". Daily Mail. Retrieved 21 March 2010.
- Ex-GMTV reporter Gloria De Piero is Labour candidate BBC News, 21 March 2010
- Ex-TV reporter wins Labour seat of Ashfield BBC News, 7 May 2010
- Gloria De Piero has successfully defended her Ashfield seat for Labour BBC News, 8 May 2015
- Ashfield: Gloria de Piero retains seat for Labour Nottingham Post, 8 May 2015
- "Shadow cabinet: junior appointments in full". Retrieved 19 January 2016.
- "The Labour reshuffle - who's up and who's down". Total Politics. Retrieved 19 January 2016.
- "Labour appoints former GMTV political editor Gloria de Piero MP as Shadow Minister for Women and Equalities". PinkNews. Retrieved 19 January 2016.
- "Full results for Conference Arrangements Committee and National Policy Forum". LabourList - Labour's biggest independent grassroots e-network. Retrieved 19 January 2016.
- "What do the voters make of Jeremy Corbyn so far?". Retrieved 19 January 2016.
- Staff profile: James Robinson, guardian.co.uk
- Gideon Spanier "In the air: Clarkson is driving Times web ads push", Evening Standard, 10 October 2012
- "Street of shame". Private Eye (Pressdram Ltd) (1354): 7. 29 November 2013.
- Patrick Wintour "Louise Mensch backs Gloria de Piero's response to topless photos threat", theguardian.com, 18 October 2013
- Gloria De Piero MP official constituency site
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Current session contributions in Parliament at Hansard
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
- Profile at Westminster Parliamentary Record
- Profile at BBC News Democracy Live
- Articles authored at Journalisted
- Gloria De Piero at the Internet Movie Database
- TV Newsroom
- Bradford College alumni
- On the Record archive
- A letter to Times Higher Education in 1995 when UCE student union president
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament
|Shadow Minister for Women and Equalities
|New office||Shadow Minister for Young People and Voter Registration