|Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Nevada|
January 1, 2014
|Preceded by||Robert Clive Jones|
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Nevada|
May 6, 2010
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Brian Sandoval|
|Born||Gloria Maria Navarro
May 1967 (age 46)
Las Vegas, Nevada, U.S.
|Alma mater||University of Nevada, Las Vegas
Arizona State University, Tempe
Gloria Maria Navarro (born May 1967) is a American attorney and Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Nevada.
Early life and education
Born in Las Vegas, Nevada, Navarro earned a bachelor's degree in 1989 from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas and a law degree from the Arizona State University College of Law (now the Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law) in 1992.
In 1991, Navarro worked as a legal extern for United States District Judge Philip Martin Pro.
In 1993, Navarro worked part-time as a mitigation investigator for a Las Vegas law firm and as a contract law clerk for several organizations.
From 1994 until 1996, Navarro worked as an associate attorney for a Las Vegas law firm, and she then worked as a sole practitioner in Las Vegas from 1996 until 2001.
From 2001 until 2004, Navarro served as a Deputy Special Public Defender for Clark County, Nevada and since 2005, she has served as a Chief Deputy District Attorney for the Civil Division in the Clark County District Attorney's office.
Nomination to federal district court
On September 11, 2009, Sen. Harry Reid contacted Navarro to inquire about her interest in serving on the federal bench. After a video conference interview with Reid, the senator told Navarro on September 22, 2009 that he would be recommending her to President Obama for consideration to serve as a judge on the United States District Court for the District of Nevada.
District Court Service
- President Obama Nominates Judge Timothy Black, Gloria Navarro for District Court Bench, whitehouse.gov (December 24, 2009).
- Carri Geer Thevenot, Judiciary members to query LV lawyer, Las Vegas Review-Journal (February 11, 2010).
- Steve Kanigher, Senate Judiciary Committee approves nomination of Gloria Navarro for federal judgeship, Las Vegas Sun (March 4, 2010).
- U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 111th Congress - 2nd Session, Vote Number 128: Confirmation Gloria M. Navarro, senate.gov (May 5, 2010).
- "Judicial Milestones". The Third Branch News. United States Courts. Retrieved 26 February 2014.
- Gloria Navarro at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Nevada
May 6, 2010 – present