Gloria al Bravo Pueblo
|English: Glory to the Brave People|
National anthem of Venezuela
|Also known as||La Marsellesa Venezolana
English: Venezuelan Marseillaise
|Lyrics||Vicente Salias, 1810|
|Music||Juan José Landaeta|
Gloria al Bravo Pueblo (Glory to the Brave People) was adopted as Venezuela's national anthem by President Antonio Guzmán Blanco on May 25, 1881. The lyrics were written by the physician and journalist Vicente Salias in 1810. The music was later composed by musician Juan José Landaeta. It is said, however, that the melody has been known since 1840 as La Marsellesa Venezolana (Venezuelan Marseillaise), in reference to its subtle similarity to the French national anthem.
Some recent investigations have suggested that the real author of the anthem was Andrés Bello, and not Salias, to whom it was originally credited, and the music was composed by another musician called Lino Gallardo. However, this theory has yet to be proven, and lacks any real recognition among the general Venezuelan population, historians, or otherwise.
Usage And Regulations
The Venezuelan national anthem is played every day on radio and television broadcasts at 6:00 am, 12:00 am and 12:00 pm (either the full version or the chorus, first stanza and chorus) on all national TV networks. On radio broadcasts, the state anthem is played after the national anthem, which is also the case in state TV stations.
In most occasions, only the chorus, first stanza and the chorus are played or even the chorus itself. Sometimes the chorus is played twice in the beginning, and once in the rest of the anthem.
References & Notes
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to National anthem of Venezuela.|
- (Spanish) Efemérides Venezolanas, for detailed information.
- (Spanish) Gloria al Bravo Pueblo (1810)
- Venezuela: Gloria al Bravo Pueblo - Audio of the national anthem of Venezuela, with information and lyrics
- Gloria al Bravo Pueblo (short version 1987) - Orquesta Sinfónica Simón Bolivar
- Gloria al Bravo Pueblo - Presidential Honor Guard Band
- Gloria al Bravo Pueblo (ceremony version) by Orquesta Sinfónica Simón Bolivar
- Gloria al Bravo Pueblo by Orquesta Sinfónica Simón Bolivar