Glory to the Brave
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Glory to the Brave|
|Studio album by HammerFall|
|Released||June 27, 1997|
|Recorded||February–April 1997, Studio Fredman, Gothenburg, Sweden|
|Genre||Heavy metal, power metal|
Glory to the Brave is the debut album by the Swedish power metal band HammerFall, released in 1997. Despite the fact that the band was formed in 1993, HammerFall performed mostly live music and covers before this album was released. "Steel Meets Steel" was composed by Oscar Dronjak just before the band was formed and is included on this album. The band signed a deal with the Dutch label Vic Records. Nuclear Blast approached Vic Records and obtained a license deal for the album. Later, Nuclear Blast bought the entire rights from Vic Records. Although the In Flames guitarist Jesper Strömblad was listed as the drummer, all the drums were actually played by session musician Patrik Räfling, who joined the band as a full-time member shortly after the album's release.
The cover art was painted by Andreas Marschall.
Glory to the Brave was re-released in 2002 as a Deluxe Edition with the Stormwitch cover "Ravenlord" as a bonus track as well as a multimedia section including a music video.
|Rock Hard (de)||10/10|
In 2005, Glory to the Brave was ranked number 295 in Rock Hard magazine's book of The 500 Greatest Rock & Metal Albums of All Time.
|1.||"The Dragon Lies Bleeding"||Jesper Strömblad, Joacim Cans, Oscar Dronjak||4:22|
|2.||"The Metal Age"||Dronjak, Strömblad, Cans||4:28|
|3.||"HammerFall"||Dronjak, Strömblad, Cans||4:47|
|4.||"I Believe"||Cans, Peter Stålfors||4:53|
|5.||"Child of the Damned" (Warlord cover)||Tsamis, Zonder||3:42|
|6.||"Steel Meets Steel"||Dronjak||4:02|
|7.||"Stone Cold"||Dronjak, Strömblad, Cans||5:43|
|8.||"Unchained"||Dronjak, Strömblad, Cans||5:38|
|9.||"Glory to the Brave"||Dronjak, Strömblad, Cans||7:20|
|10.||"Ravenlord" (Stormwitch cover, bonus track)||Harald Spangler||3:31|
|11.||"Multimedia part: Videoclip, Wallpaper & E-Card" (Bonus deluxe edition)||5:35|
"Ravenlord" was released on the Japanese, Brazilian and Deluxe Editions.
Special editions: LP, Shape CD (Saw-Shaped), Picture LP, Red Vinyl LP, Deluxe Edition (containing bonus material), Value Box (with "Renegade" CDS)
- Joacim Cans - vocals, background harmonies
- Oscar Dronjak - guitar, backing vocals
- Fredrik Larsson - bass guitar, backing vocals
- Glenn Ljungström - guitar
- Jesper Strömblad - drums (credited, but does not play on this album)
- Patrik Räfling - drums
- Stefan Elmgren - lead and acoustic guitar
- Mats Hansson - lead guitar
- Fredrik Nordström - grand piano, keyboard and backing vocals
- Niklas Isfeldt - background harmonies
- Hans Björk - backing vocals
- Official artist website
- Reesman, Bryan. "HammerFall Glory to the Brave review". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 2011-09-25.
- Schäfer, Wolfgang. "Rock Hard review". issue 122. Retrieved 1 June 2013.
- [...], Rock Hard (Hrsg.). [Red.: Michael Rensen. Mitarb.: Götz Kühnemund] (2005). Best of Rock & Metal die 500 stärksten Scheiben aller Zeiten. Königswinter: Heel. p. 95. ISBN 3-89880-517-4.