|Founders||Oscar Pierre |
|Select cities in select countries|
Number of employees
Glovo (a misspelling of Globo, meaning balloon in Spanish) is a Spanish quick-commerce start-up founded in Barcelona in 2015. It is an on-demand courier service that purchases, picks up, and delivers products ordered through its mobile app. It aspires to be a multi-category lifestyle app with food delivery being the most popular offering. The company was founded by Oscar Pierre and Sacha Michaud.
The company was founded by Oscar Pierre Miquel, who is currently the CEO and Sacha Michaud who is the co-founder. It is among the many startups that hopped on to the bandwagon of uberization of local services. It is among a handful of successful Spanish startups that have gained an international market share.
The company eventually expanded into other countries. In January 2020, Glovo ended its operations in Turkey, Egypt, Puerto Rico and Uruguay. In October 2020, in an effort to achieve profitability, Glovo's remaining Latin American operations were purchased by Delivery Hero, a German company, in a deal worth $272 million, leaving Glovo with just its Southern and Eastern Europe operations. 
As of February 2021, Glovo is operational in more than 23 countries globally.
- Central America
- South America
- Former locations
- Brazil (Discontinued in February 2019)
- Chile (Discontinued in April 2019)
- Egypt (Discontinued in January 2020)
- Puerto Rico (Discontinued in January 2020)
- Turkey (Discontinued in January 2020)
- Uruguay (Discontinued in January 2020)
- Argentina (Discontinued in October 2020)
- Dominican Republic (Discontinued in October 2020)
- Panama (Discontinued in October 2020)
The company has a vision to be a lifestyle app with all urban services available easily through its smartphone application. Food delivery service remains its most popular service. Other services available on the app include Groceries, Pharmacy, Desserts, Courier and Quiero (anything).
The food business allows users to find and place orders with their favourite restaurants which is picked up when ready and delivered to the user's doorstep. While this model continues to be its flagship service, the company is reported experimenting with CloudKitchens and Grocery Darkstores.
- "Glovo - Frequently Asked Questions". www.glovoapp.com. Retrieved 17 May 2019.
- Loritz, Mary (2018-12-14). "Execute quickly, understand local markets and adapt fast to different needs - Glovo CEO Oscar Pierre". EU-Startups. Retrieved 2020-05-28.
- Valdivia, Ana Garcia. "'Uberized Workers' Ask The EU To Set A Minimum Income To Self-Employed People". Forbes. Retrieved 2020-11-18.
- Browne, Ryan (2019-12-19). "Abu Dhabi leads $167 million investment in Spanish delivery app Glovo". CNBC. Retrieved 2020-05-28.
- Omusolo, Moses. "New delivery app to rock market". The Standard. Retrieved 2020-05-28.
- "Glovo Pushes On-Demand Delivery Services in Kenya". Kenyan Wallstreet. 2019-11-19. Retrieved 2020-05-28.
- Kemibaro, Moses (2019-02-27). "First Impressions: Glovo Kenya for On-Demand Delivery Services In Nairobi". Moses Kemibaro. Retrieved 2020-05-28.