The Sidelines Kits Gn15 demo layout
|Scale ratio||1:22.5 – 1:29|
|Model gauge||16.5 mm (0.65 in)|
15 in (381 mm)|
(Minimum gauge railway)
Gn15 is a rail modelling scale, using G scale 1:22.5 scale trains running on H0/00 gauge (16.5 mm/0.65 in) track, representing minimum gauge and miniature railways. Typical models built are between 1:20.3 and 1:24, or up to 1:29.
Gn15 modeling is a relatively new phenomenon in the model railroading world. While the idea of this scale has existed for some time, as evidenced by the early efforts of Marc Horovitz, editor of Garden Railways magazine, Gn15 did not gain any measure of popularity until the Sidelines range of models. Following the advent of these kits, a few other lines of kits became available.
Initial community development took place on Yahoo email groups, but these have been superseded by the forums at Gn15.info as the primary form of communication between the far flung practitioners of this scale.
Alongside Gn15 other modeling scales have developed to cover both the modelling of minimum gauge lines in scales smaller than G, and 'miniature' lines (less than 15 in/381 mm) in G scale.
O9 or On15 is the use of N gauge track in 7mm scale to represent a 'minimum gauge' line. In comparison GNine is the use of 9mm track to represent 'miniature' lines. GNine is a 'flexible' term for scale, referring to modelling using garden railway scales and N gauge track. GNine models can be built to scales between 7/8" and 1:35 representing anything between 5 in (127 mm) gauge and 12 1⁄4 in (311 mm) miniature railways.
- Gn15.info - The center of the Gn15 internet community
- The Gnatterbox - Gn15.info's very active forum
- Pepper7 - Home to the Sidelines range or locos, cars, and details
- Schomberg Scale Models - Has a line of Gn15 items based on 'Winky', a peat hauling line in Canada
- Tom Yorke Studios - producing a number of Gn15 models
- Smallbrook Studio - produces a range of GN15 models based on both Sir Arthur Heywood prototypes and Rowland Emett cartoons
- Scott Buschlen (Ontario) now has Listers available via Gn15.info.
- Micro Layouts for Model Railroads - Dedicated to layout planning in less 4 square feet (0.372 m2), many of the plans here are in Gn15