Type of site
|Headquarters||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Area served||Selected US cities|
|Founder(s)||Yakir Gola, Rafael Ilishayev|
|Services||Online platform for convenience delivery|
|Native client(s) on||iOS, Android|
goPuff is a digital delivery service operating in over 500 US cities through 200 fulfillment centers as of September 2020. Users can order items online or via the goPuff app and get the items delivered.
As of October 2020, the company was valued at $3.9 billion.
goPuff is headquartered in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and was founded in 2013 by two Drexel University students: Yakir Gola and Rafael Ilishayev. goPuff was originally an on-demand hookah delivery service but expanded to delivering food and goods typically sold in convenience stores. The company began offering delivery services in Philadelphia before moving into other cities, including Seattle, Boston, Phoenix, and Atlanta.
In 2016, goPuff raised $8.25 million in A round funding. In 2019, the company reportedly raised $750 million in funding from SoftBank, with a commitment for up to $250 million more. Also in 2019, goPuff opened a new headquarters in the Finnigan's Wake building in Northern Liberties.
Gola and Ilishayev were included in a 2017 Forbes 30 Under 30 list for retail and ecommerce and later in the year, were together named Target Magazine's target marketer of the year. While founding goPuff, Gola and Ilishayev bonded over their similar ancestries and family backgrounds, and later became supporters of Drexel's Jewish community, providing funding for Drexel Chabad to purchase a new building in 2020.
In October 2020, the company announced that it had raised $380 million in a recent funding round led by Accel and D1 Capital Partners, bringing the company's total value to $3.9 billion. In November, GoPuff agreed to purchase BevMo! for $350 million. The alcoholic beverage chain has 161 stores in California, Washington and Arizona.
goPuff primarily delivers goods typically found in convenience stores such as snacks, drinks, household items, toiletries as well as pet and baby products like diapers. Beer, wine, and spirits are available for delivery in some markets.
The company owns warehouses that stock many of the products it delivers, including electronics, food, medications, and pet supplies.
- "Digital retailer goPuff brings convenience store to doorstep". The Daily Memphian. Retrieved 2020-06-16.
- Debter, Lauren. "Beer, Band-Aids And Ben & Jerry's: Why Venture Capitalists Gave Two 27-Year-Olds $1 Billion To Build The Ultimate Online Convenience Store". Forbes. Retrieved 2020-09-25.
- Ha, Anthony (8 October 2020). "Delivery startup goPuff raises $380M at a $3.9B valuation". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2020-10-08.
- Boston Magazine. sfn error: no target: CITEREFBoston_Magazine (help)
- DiStefano, Joseph N. "With global cash, GoPuff grows past pot-friendly past; neighbors complain". The Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved 2020-07-01.
- Barr, Diana (4 April 2019). "Need snacks, diapers? On-demand retailer expands delivery to St. Louis". St. Louis Business Journal. Retrieved 2020-07-01.
- Young, Vicki M.; Young, Vicki M. (2016-06-03). "Delivery Service GoPuff Closes $8.25M Series A Round". WWD. Retrieved 2020-07-01.
- "SoftBank Quietly Invested $750 Million in Delivery Startup GoPuff Last Summer". Philadelphia Magazine. 2020-01-21. Retrieved 2020-07-01.
- "SoftBank Leads $1B Funding Round For Warehouse-To-Consumer Delivery App GoPuff". Bisnow. Retrieved 2020-07-01.
- "Fast-growing Philadelphia startup inks delivery deal with Graduate Hotels". bizjournals.com. Retrieved 2020-05-01.
- "30 Under 30 2017: Retail & Ecommerce". Forbes. Retrieved 2018-03-19.
- Fletcher, Heather. "GoPuff's Brand Magic - Target Marketing". Target Marketing. Retrieved 2018-03-19.
- James, Susan Donaldson (2017-07-11). "How late-night college cravings inspired a business that's raised over $8M". NBC News. Retrieved 2020-06-16.
- Zighelboim, Selah Maya (2018-03-14). "Drexel Alumni Commission Torah for Campus Chabad". Jewish Exponent. Retrieved 2020-06-16.
- Silver, Matt (2020-03-09). "GoPuff founders fund Drexel Chabad building". Jewish Exponent. Retrieved 2020-06-16.
- Ha, Anthony (5 November 2020). "Delivery startup goPuff acquires BevMo for $350M". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2020-11-06.
- Chang, Andrea (2020-11-05). "BevMo acquired in $350-million deal as booze deliveries surge". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2020-11-09.
- Japhe, Brad. "These Are The Top-Selling Alcoholic Beverages During The Coronavirus Lockdown". Forbes. Retrieved 2020-07-01.
- Philly Business Journal.
- "Alcohol Delivery App goBooze Launches in Chicago". americaninno.com. Retrieved 2020-05-01.
- "On-demand delivery company launches new 'booze' service in D.C." bizjournals.com. Retrieved 2020-05-01.
- Hill, Kashmir (2017-07-03). "No, Your Phone Isn't Secretly Recording You". Gizmodo. Retrieved 2018-07-05.
- "Convenience store delivery service goPuff expands with third Twin Cities warehouse". Star Tribune. Retrieved 2020-07-01.
- Weindling, Jacob (2017), Competition Runs Rampant in the On-Demand Economy, Paste Magazine
- Zakrewski, Cat (2016), GoPuff Raises $5M to Back Delivery of Smokes, Snacks and More, Wall Street Journal
- Smother, Hannah (2017), This Online Service Is Basically Uber But For Plan B and Condoms, Cosmoplitan
- Goss, Scott (2017), goPuff, the Uber of munchies, rolls into Newark, Delaware Online
- O'Connor, Clare (2017), "Forbes 30 Under 30: Retail and Ecommerce", Forbes
- Zapkin, Nina (2016), This Fast-Growing Startup Wants to Make Visiting the Convenience Store Obsolete, Entrepreneur
- Wisenberg Brin, Dinah (2016), Delivery start-up goPuff fills overnight needs — and whims, CNBC
- Donaldson, Susan (2017), Late-Night Cravings Inspired goPuff, a Business That's Raised Over $8M, NBC News
- Burnley, Malcolm (2017), Can You Really Make a Billion Dollars Delivering Beer, Condoms, Rolling Papers and Nerds Ropes?, Philadelphia Magazine
- Hilario, Kenneth (2016), Local beer delivery company eyes expansion in 2016, Philadelphia Business Journal
- Shah, Angela (2016), Philadelphia's goBooze Starts Beer, Wine Delivery in Austin, Xconomy
- MacDonald, Tom (2017), GoPuff debuts new 30,000 SF Philadelphia headquarters, Philadelphia Business Journal
- Volkman, Elliot (2017), 9 Startup Mascots Building Stronger Brands, Tech Cocktail
- How Delivery Service goPuff Recreates the Impulse-Buy Experience Online, eMarketer, 2017
- Tanenbaum, Michael (2018), Finnigan's Wake building in Northern Liberties will house new goPuff HQ, Philly Voice