August 10, 1992 |
Seoul, South Korea
|Other names||Ko A-sung
|Education||Sungkyunkwan University - Psychology|
|Agent||4 Doors Entertainment|
|Revised Romanization||Go Aseong|
Go Ah-sung (born 10 August 1992) is a South Korean actress. She began her career as a child actress, notably in 2006 top-grossing blockbuster The Host. This was followed by major roles in Snowpiercer (2013), Thread of Lies (2014) and Office (2015), as well as the TV dramas Master of Study (2010) and Heard It Through the Grapevine (2015).
Go Ah-sung was four years old when she appeared in her first commercial, and she joined the 2002 stage musical Peter Pan when she was ten. At thirteen, Go began her acting career in the KBS children's program Oolla Boolla Blue-jjang (2004).
Having worked together in the MBC omnibus drama Beating Heart (2005), actress Bae Doona recommended Go to director Bong Joon-ho when he was casting for his much-anticipated monster film. After an extensive audition process, Go made her film debut in 2006 with a starring role in The Host. Bong praised her work, saying that she "showed really mature acting for her age, and that's one of her defining charms as an actress." Go was also applauded by film critics, with Stephen Hunter of The Washington Post complimenting her "exquisite performance," and Megan Ratner of the Bright Lights Film Journal noting her "unforced naturalness, reminiscent not only of Ana Torrent but of Zazie's Catherine Demongeot." Go received several acting nominations, and won Best New Actress at the 2006 Blue Dragon Film Awards.
She continued her film career with supporting roles in The Happy Life (2007), Radio Dayz (2008), and A Brand New Life (2009). In 2010, Go appeared in the high school series Master of Study, a Korean drama adaptation of the Japanese manga Dragon Zakura. It scored the highest ratings in its timeslot during its run.
Go starred in her first leading role in Duet (2012), an indie romance about an aspiring Korean singer on a tour of England and the British guy she meets who shares her interests in music, photography and travel.
In 2013, she reunited with The Host costar Song Kang-ho in the blockbuster sci-fi thriller Snowpiercer, Bong Joon-ho's first English-language film. Go next appeared opposite Kim Hee-ae in Thread of Lies (2014), a film adaptation of Kim Ryeo-ryeong's novel Elegant Lies about a willful girl seeking the truth behind her sister's suicide.
Go signed with an American agency, Untitled Entertainment in 2014. She returned to television in 2015 with Heard It Through the Grapevine, a black comedy about the chaos an unplanned teenage pregnancy causes in a wealthy, powerful family. Go then headlined the mystery thriller Office, which made its world premiere in the Midnight Screenings section at Cannes; she won Best Actress at Fancine for her role as an intern who becomes a person of interest in a murder investigation.
In early 2017, Go challenges her first romantic comedy in the MBC's drama Radiant Office, as a twentysomething woman who, after a failed suicide attempt and possible terminally-ill diagnosis, thinks she has nothing to lose and tackles her job and life with new perspectives.
Go enjoys traveling alone and taking pictures. She became interested in photography through friend and frequent costar Bae Doona. Go's photographs were exhibited at the 5th annual Seoul Open Art Fair in 2010, alongside artwork by Ha Jung-woo and photos by Uhm Tae-woong.
|2006||The Host||Park Hyun-seo|
|2007||The Happy Life||Joo-hee|
|2009||A Brand New Life||Ye-shin|
|After the Banquet||Kim Mi-rae|
|2010||Sixteen (short film)|
|2014||Thread of Lies||Man-ji|
|The Beauty Inside||Woo-jin|
|Right Now, Wrong Then||Yeom Bo-ra|
|2016||A Melody to Remember||Park Joo-mi|
|2004||Oolla Boolla Blue-jjang||Noh Da-ji (Princess Blue Stone)||KBS2|
|2005||Sad Love Story||young Cha Hwa-jung||MBC|
|Beating Heart||Kim Bo-mi||MBC|
|2010||Master of Study||Gil Pul-ip||KBS2|
|2015||Heard It Through the Grapevine||Seo Bom||SBS|
|2016||Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories||Rei/Yoona||Netflix Original|
|2017||Radiant Office||Eun Ho-won||MBC|
|Year||Artist||Song Title||From Album|
(Hangul: 달려; RR: Dallyeo)
|"Light On My Shoulder"|
|"Blue Blue Night"|
|"Wings of Rod"|
(Hangul: 홍대입구; RR: Hongdae Ibgu)
Awards and nominations
|1995||MBC Birth of a Star||King of Kings||N/A||1st place|
|2006||27th Blue Dragon Film Awards||Best New Actress||
|5th Korean Film Awards||Best Supporting Actress||Nominated|||
|9th Director's Cut Awards||Best Performers Award (ensemble cast)||Won|||
|2007||43rd Baeksang Arts Awards||Best New Actress (Film)||Nominated|||
|33rd Saturn Awards||Best Young Actor/Actress||Nominated|||
|44th Grand Bell Awards||Best Supporting Actress||Nominated|||
|1st Korea Movie Star Awards||Best Young Star||Won|||
|2010||46th Baeksang Arts Awards||Best New Actress (TV)||
|KBS Drama Awards||Best New Actress||Nominated|
|2013||50th Grand Bell Awards||Best Supporting Actress||
|34th Blue Dragon Film Awards||Best Supporting Actress||Nominated|
|2014||50th Baeksang Arts Awards||Best Supporting Actress||Nominated|
|15th Jeonju International Film Festival||Moët Rising Star Award||N/A||Won|||
|2015||51st Baeksang Arts Awards||Best New Actress (TV)||
|4th APAN Star Awards||Excellence Award, Actress in a Serial Drama||Nominated|
|SBS Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Actress in a Drama Special||Won|
|New Star Award||Won|
|25th Fantastic Film Festival of the University of Málaga||Best Actress||
|2016||36th Golden Cinematography Awards||Popularity Award, Actress||Won|
- "고아성 "영화 '여행자' 찍으면서 다리가 굵어졌어요~" (인터뷰 ②)" (in Korean). 22 October 2009. Retrieved 2016-01-15.
- "Casting Tapes" featurette on Optimum Home Entertainment 2xDVD release of The Host. ASIN: B000KRNMVC.
- "PRESS SCREENING: 괴물 (The Host)". Twitch Film. 7 July 2006. Retrieved 2007-04-08.
- Hunter, Stephen (9 March 2007). "When Monsters And Institutions Misbehave". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2007-04-08.
- Ratner, Megan (November 2006). "Less Is Less". Bright Lights Film Journal. Retrieved 2007-04-08.
- "The 27th Blue Dragon Awards". The Korea Society. Retrieved 2012-12-17.
- 고아성 "'여행자' 연기하는데 전환점된 작품"(인터뷰). Star News (in Korean). 21 May 2009. Retrieved 2012-12-17.
- Wee, Geun-woo (5 February 2010). "Master of Study set reveals it truly has achieved it all". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-12-17.
- "Nineteen's Dream". Elle Girl Korea (in Korean). 2 March 2010. Archived from the original on 2014-08-08. Retrieved 2012-12-17.
- Kim, Lynn (24 February 2010). "Master of Study proudly exits small screen". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-12-17.
- "NOW Playing: Duet". Korea JoongAng Daily. 20 April 2012. Retrieved 2012-12-17.
- "Duet (2012)". Korean Film Council. Retrieved 2012-12-17.
- Frater, Patrick (17 July 2012). "Snowpiercer wraps in Prague". Film Business Asia. Retrieved 2012-12-17.
- Yun, Suh-young (5 July 2013). "Glimpse of Bong's upcoming Snowpiercer at showcase". The Korea Times. Archived from the original on 2014-02-27. Retrieved 2013-07-05.
- Tae, Sang-joon (30 July 2013). "SNOWPIERCER Official Conference and Red Carpet Premiere Held". Korean Film Council. Retrieved 2013-08-06.
- Ki, Myung-kyoon (4 September 2013). "INTERVIEW: Actress Ko A-sung". 10Asia. Archived from the original on 2014-03-28. Retrieved 2013-09-05.
- Lee, Eun-ah (20 August 2013). "Snowpiercer Star Ko A-sung Cast in New Film". 10Asia. Archived from the original on 2014-08-08. Retrieved 2013-08-20.
- Jin, Eun-soo (21 February 2014). "Elegant Lies looks at family's ugly truths". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-02-23.
- Song, Soon-jin (24 February 2014). "ELEGANT LIES Press Conference Held". Korean Film Council. Retrieved 2014-03-02.
- "3 Young Women Show Long-Missing Movie Star Material". The Chosun Ilbo. 14 March 2014. Retrieved 2014-03-14.
- Sung, So-young (28 October 2014). "Ko Ah-sung makes way to Hollywood". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-10-30.
- Min, Kyeong-won (3 April 2015). "Go comes of age in latest role". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2015-04-08.
- Lee, Ji-young (7 May 2015). "KO Asung in Office: An Actress' Sense of Duty". Korean Cinema Today. Retrieved 2015-05-16.
- "Ko Ah-sung to Attend World Premiere of Her Latest Film at Cannes". The Chosun Ilbo. 14 May 2015. Retrieved 2015-05-16.
- Won, Ho-jung (3 September 2015). "Herald Interview: Ko A-sung, Park Sung-woong talk Office". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2015-09-12.
- Jin, Yong-jin (10 September 2015). "Actress takes on the role of office worker". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2015-09-12.
- "Go Ah-sung named Best Actress for Office". The Korea Times. 3 December 2015. Archived from the original on 2015-12-10. Retrieved 2015-12-08.
- "Ko Ah-seong and Ha Seok-jin in Radiant Office". Hancinema. 2017-01-23. Retrieved 2017-01-25.
- "Doona and A Sung". Vogue Girl Korea (in Korean). March 2007. Retrieved 2012-12-17.[permanent dead link]
- 다재다능한 배우 고아성 "이번엔 사진작가". Union Press (in Korean). 24 April 2010. Retrieved 2012-12-17.
- 고아성, 무대륙공연 연습사진 통해 근황 공개. Star News (in Korean). 11 May 2010. Retrieved 2012-12-17.
- Choi, Jun-yong (3 November 2011). "Young celebs get early admits to college for 2011". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-01-11.
- "Ko Ah-sung Keeps Star Status and Studies Separate". The Chosun Ilbo. 29 March 2014. Retrieved 2014-03-29.
- "곽태훈 부반장의 Limited Edition 2.". Melon. Retrieved 2017-01-25.
- "Korean Film Awards (MBC) 2006". Cinemasie. Retrieved 2007-04-08.
- Yi, Chang-ho (28 December 2006). "Director's Cut Awards Diversity of Films". Korean Film Council. Retrieved 2012-12-17.
- 에릭의 ‘두 연인’ 정유미 박시연 특별한 상황 연출. Newsen (in Korean). 25 April 2007. Retrieved 2012-12-17.
- "33rd Saturn Awards Nominations" Archived August 23, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.. The Academy of Science Fiction Fantasy & Horror Films. Retrieved 2007-04-08.
- Pais, Jon (9 June 2007). "44th Grand Bell Awards 대종상영화제: Family Ties Wins Best Film". Twitch Film. Retrieved 2007-06-15.
- 류덕환-고아성 영화연기대상 영스타상 수상 "평생 배우 될 것". Newsen (in Korean). 19 October 2007. Retrieved 2012-12-17.
- "제3회 모엣 라이징 스타 어워드"의 별, 배우 고아성&박정범 감독. JIFF (in Korean). 8 May 2014. Archived from the original on 2015-02-18. Retrieved 2015-02-14.
- Lee, Hoo-nam; Kim, Hyung-eun (28 May 2015). "Baeksang honors new, veteran stars". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2015-05-28.