Bigger and Deffer
|Bigger and Deffer|
|Studio album by LL Cool J|
|Released||July 22, 1987|
Chung King House of Metal
(New York City)
|Genre||Hip hop, Golden Age Hip-Hop|
|Label||Def Jam, Columbia, CBS Records
CK 40793 (North America)
|Producer||LL Cool J, L.A. Posse, DJ Pooh|
|LL Cool J chronology|
|Singles from Bigger and Deffer|
Bigger and Deffer (BAD), is the second studio album by rapper LL Cool J and is remembered most for containing the first commercially successful "rap ballad", "I Need Love". It also contains the single "Go Cut Creator Go", which paid homage to his DJ, and the breakthrough single in the U.K. "I'm Bad". With over 3 million copies sold in the United States alone, it stands as L L Cool J's biggest career album.
In 1998, the album was selected as one of The Source's 100 Best Rap Albums, while receiving mixed reviews from other critics. The front cover photograph on the album was taken in front of Andrew Jackson High School in Queens (which LL Cool J attended before dropping out in the 10th or 11th grade), and the back cover was shot in his grandmother's basement where he was living at the time. Both images were shot by Glen E. Friedman.
All songs written by J.T. Smith, Bobby Ervin, Darryl Pierce and Dwayne Simon, except where noted.
- "I'm Bad" – 4:39
- "Kanday" – 3:59
- "Get Down" – 3:23
- "Bristol Hotel" – 2:43
- "My Rhyme Ain't Done" – 3:45
- ".357 – Break It On Down" (Smith/Mark Jordan/Ervin/Pierce/Simon) – 4:05
- "Go Cut Creator Go" – 3:57
- "Breakthrough" – 4:04
- "I Need Love" (Simon/Steven Ettenger/Ervin/Smith) – 5:23
- "Ahh, Let's Get Ill" – 3:45
- "The Do Wop" – 4:59
- "On the Ill Tip (Skit)" – 0:31
|Dutch Albums Chart||28|
|German Albums Chart||35|
|New Zealand Albums Chart||23|
|UK Albums Chart||54|
|US Billboard 200||3|
|US Billboard Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums||1|
|"I Need Love"
|Canada (Music Canada)||Gold||50,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||3× Platinum||3,000,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
|James Todd Smith a.k.a. LL Cool J||vocals, producer|
|Bobby "Bobcat" Ervin||disc jockey|
|Russell Simmons||production supervisor|
|Steven Ett||engineer, mixing|
|Chuck Vale||assistant engineer|
|L.A. Posse (Darryl Pierce, Dwayne Simon, and Bobby Erving)||additional vocals, producer|
|Nelson George||liner notes|
|Glen E. Friedman||liner photography|
- "Today In Hip Hop History: LL Cool J Drops His 'B.A.D.(Bigger And Deffer) LP 28 Years Ago". The Source. July 22, 2015. Retrieved November 12, 2015.
- AllMusic review
- Christgau, Robert. "LL Cool J". Robert Christgau.
- Q review
- Rhapsody review
- Rolling Stone review
- Spin review
- Trouser Press review
- Yahoo! Music review
- "Canadian album certifications – LL Cool J – Bigger and Deffer". Music Canada.
- "American album certifications – LL Cool J – Bigger and Deffer". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH
- DJ Bobcat