Goa Institute of Management
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Type||Education and research institution|
|Director||Dr. K Balakrishnan|
|Postgraduates||240 per year|
|Location||Sanquelim, Goa, India|
|Campus||Fully residential, 50 acres|
The autonomous school is governed by a board, and offers a full-time MBA (PGDM) program (2 years), full-time MBA (PGDM)-Healthcare Management Programme (HCM) and executive MBA (3 years) and also is a resource centre for PhD programs in management for Goa University. Current MBA classes have a size of approximately 240 students and Healthcare MBA class have a size of 60 students.
- 1 History
- 2 Courses
- 3 Campuses
- 4 Affiliations and linkages
- 5 Events
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Located at Sanquelim as well as Ribandar, the business school was founded in 1993 when Romuald D'Souza (ex Director - XLRI, Jamshedpur and XIMB, Bhubaneswar) moved from XIM, Bhubaneswar to create a centre of learning and excellence in Goa. He along with Anwar Ali, C.M. Ramesh, Ranjini Swamy, V. Gopal, Suma Damodaran, and Uday Damodaran started the institute.
Similar to most other B-schools in India, GIM currently offers diplomas in management and not degrees. The institute currently offers the following programs.
Post Graduate Diploma in Management
The Post Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM) is the flagship programme of GIM. It is a two-year, full-time residential programme. The first year comprises a core programme consisting of compulsory courses on the basics of every discipline in management aimed at developing a common foundation in management theory. The second year of the course consists of electives designed to cater to students' interest and to develop proficiency in the area of their choice. Students need to select one Major and one Minor specialization from among the following offered - Marketing, Finance, HR, Operations. The coursework also requires the completion of an internship between the two years lasting for a total of eight to nine weeks. The current intake of the PGDM course is 240 students per year.
Post Graduate Diploma in Management – Healthcare Management
Started from the 2013 academic year, the Post Graduate Diploma in Management – Healthcare Management (PGDM–HCM) programme is the newest course offered by GIM. As with the flagship PGDM course, it is a two-year, full-time residential programme. It has a total intake of 60 students per year. This unique programme prepares managers to take up challenging tasks in healthcare sector (i.e. Hospitals, Pharma, Medical Devices, Health Insurance, Health IT and Public Health) and are placed in reputed organizations through a dedicated placement team. This programme entails extensive practical training to students through weekly industry visits and regular talk by industry people. The programme is considered as one of the best in its kind for preparing managers for healthcare sectors.
Post Graduate Diploma in Management – Part Time
The Post Graduate Diploma in Management – Part Time (PGDM–PT) programme is a three-year part-time MBA programme designed for working professionals. The curriculum is designed to develop both conceptual and skill based competencies. It broadly follows the pattern proposed by the AICTE. It consists of core courses offered in the first year, elective courses offered in the second year, and project work in the third year. It is run from the heritage Ribandar campus. It has a total intake of 60 students per year.
The campus was initially situated on the banks of the Mandovi River, in the Santa Casa de Misericordia in Ribandar. The building in which the school is housed is supposed to be one of the earliest hospitals in India and was converted from a hospital building to a business school campus in 1993. Currently only the part-time executive MBA course is run from this campus. The 2011 batch was the last full-time batch to pass out from this campus. Now the campus is used for conducting Healthcare Management course and Executive MBA course.
From the year 2010 GIM began shifting most of its academic courses to a new state-of-the-art campus located around 23 kilometers from the old one. The new campus at Sanquelim in Sattari is located on a sprawling 50 acre plot surrounded by the idyllic foothills of the Western Ghats. The entire project cost has been estimated at approximately Rs 63 crore.The new campus was inaugurated by Ashok Ganguly, Rajya Sabha MP and former Chairman of Hindustan Lever Ltd on the 24th of March 2012.
The Sanquelim campus is primarily divided into the following :
- Admin block
- Faculty block
- Academic block
- The academic block with the capacity of accommodating 480 students, has 14 spacious 60 and 30 seater classrooms each equipped with overhead projectors and screens. The entire building is centrally air conditioned and each classroom is equipped with an RFID system to record student attendance.
- The library is operational 24 hours a day and has a collection of over 7175 titles, subscriptions to around 165 Indian and International journals, a tie-up with the University of Ohio, USA, which assists in updation of titles. The library also provides access to annual reports of around 1000 companies, stock exchange directory, CMIE, and various online databases and sources of information. With its RFID book issuing system, students are able to check in and check out books as and when they wish.
- The multi purpose hall
- Student hostels
- Prayer room
- State of the art Swimming pool
- Tennis courts
- Faculty residence
- The institute currently has 2 double-seater and 4 single-seater hostels. Each hostel is equipped with coin-operated washing machines and driers for the convenience of students. As part of the green design initiative of the campus, all hot water for the bathrooms is heated using solar panels on the hostel roofs.The campus also has a 6th International Students Hostel with air-conditioned rooms and attached bathrooms built in 2013.
- Approved by the All India Council of Technical Education of the Government of India (AICTE) for offering postgraduate courses in management at the MBA level.
- Recognised by the Government of Goa and by many of the major industrial corporations in the country
- Associate member of the International Association of Jesuit Business Schools, which facilitates linkages for collaboration and exchange among some 60 Business Schools in 25 different countries in various parts of the world.
- Hosted joint study projects for two years in which 12 MBA students of Ohio University, under the guidance of their faculty, have worked with 12 GIM students in teams of four on projects assigned to them by local industries.
- Ongoing tie-up with the University of Antwerp (Universiteit Antwerpen) for facilitating student interaction and joint study.
- Student exchange program with Fachhochshule Ingolstadt, Germany (up to 5 students)
- Faculty and student exchange with the Universidade Catolica Portuguesa ( MBA Catolica )
It is a lecture series for students and faculty by eminent personalities organised around the academic year. Some of the most recent speakers have been:
- Anil Agarwal, Founder and Executive Chairman, Vedanta Resources
- Prahlad Kakkar,Film Director
- Bjørn Lomborg,author of The Skeptical Environmentalist
- Prakash Telang, MD, Tata Motors,
- Piyush Pandey, Executive Chairman & National Creative Director Ogilvy & Mather India
- "A management success", Frontline, Volume 21 - Issue 25, December 4–17, 2004
- "Goa Institute of Management - PGDM". Retrieved 17 April 2013.
- "Goa Institute of Management - PGDM-HCM". Retrieved 17 April 2013.
- "Goa Institute on Management - PGDM-Part Time". Retrieved 17 April 2013.
- "New campus of Goa Institute of Management at Sanquelim inaugurated". The Times Of India. Retrieved 18 April 2013.
- "Interview with P F X D'Lima - Director of Goa Institute of Management". Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- Hochschule Ingolstadt_Aktuell(non-english)
- "Goa Institute of Management-Student Activities-Ribandar Talks". Retrieved 18 April 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Goa Institute of Management.|