Goathland railway station
|Station on heritage railway|
|Managed by||North Yorkshire Moors Railway|
Goathland railway station is a station on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway and serves the village of Goathland in the North York Moors National Park, North Yorkshire, England. It is famous for appearing as Aidensfield station in the television series Heartbeat, as the Hogwarts Express stop at Hogsmeade (only the first 3 films) in the Harry Potter films, as Mannerton in the TV series All Creatures Great and Small, and in the end of the video of "Holding Back the Years", a Simply Red song released in 1985. Holiday accommodation is available in the form of a camping coach.
This station (originally known as Goathland Mill) is on the deviation line opened by the North Eastern Railway in 1865 to avoid the cable-worked Beck Hole Incline, which was part of the original 1836 Whitby and Pickering Railway route.
The station buildings were to the design of the NER's architect Thomas Prosser and were very similar to those being built concurrently (by the same contractor, Thomas Nelson) on the Castleton to Grosmont section of the Esk Valley Line at Danby, Lealholm, Glaisdale and Egton. The collection of buildings is very little altered since they were built – the last recorded change (apart from NYMR restoration) was in 1908. A tributary of the River Esk flows close by the station.
Deemed to be uneconomic, the line was closed to passenger traffic in 1965, and freight traffic a year later, as part of the Beeching cuts, before reopening in 1973 as part of the North Yorkshire Moors Railway.
The station and its environs also featured in the film Keeping Mum.
Media related to Goathland railway station at Wikimedia Commons
- Train times and information from the North Yorkshire Moors Railway
- Listed Buildings at Goathland Station
- Historic England. "Goathland Station House (1295785)". National Heritage List for England.
- Historic England. "The Lime and Coal Cells (1148743)". National Heritage List for England.
- Historic England. "The Goods Shed (1295758)". National Heritage List for England.
- Historic England. "The (water) Tank House (1148744)". National Heritage List for England.
- Historic England. "The NER Cast-Iron Footbridge (1295772)". National Heritage List for England.
- Historic England. "The down platform Water Crane (1148745)". National Heritage List for England.
|Preceding station||Heritage railways||Following station|
|Newton Dale Halt||North Yorkshire Moors Railway||Grosmont|