This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2020)
|Origin||New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.|
|Genres||Blackened death metal, black metal, sludge metal, thrash metal|
|Labels||Metal Blade, Noise|
L. Ben Falgoust II
|Past members||Ben Stout|
Goatwhore was formed by guitarist/backing vocalist Sammy Duet, who was previously the lead guitarist for Louisiana sludge metal band Acid Bath. The band's origins can date back to 1991 with Sammy and drummer Zak Nolan. The band was at the time called "Killgore" with Duet on lead guitar and vocals and Zak Nolan on drums. Killgore would release a number of demos up until 1997 when they changed their name to Goatwhore, after Acid Bath dissolved due to the death of bassist Audie Pitre. Soilent Green lead vocalist Louis Benjamin Falgoust II, rhythm guitarist Ben Stout and bassist Pat Bruders completed the lineup, which debuted with the demo Serenades to the Tides of Blood; Goatwhore's official debut LP, The Eclipse of Ages into Black, followed in early 2000. Funeral Dirge for the Rotting Sun appeared in 2003 before the band jumped to Metal Blade for the fall release of 2006's A Haunting Curse.
They performed at both Ozzfest 2008 and Ozzfest 2010.
In early 2012, the band released their fifth album, Blood for the Master.
On September 11, 2014, bassist James Harvey decided to sit out touring, due to the birth of his son, so Robert Coleman was hired to fill in for him on live shows.
Vengeful Ascension was released on June 23, 2017. It was the last album to feature James Harvey on bass, who departed the band in 2021, and was replaced by Robert Coleman after serving as the band's live bassist since 2014.
Goatwhore songs often contain themes of Satanism, witchcraft, anti-Christianity, and the occult. The band has also talked about Armageddon and The Holocaust in their last two albums.[failed verification]
- Current members
- Sammy Duet – guitars, backing vocals (1997–present)
- L. Ben Falgoust II – lead vocals (1998–present)
- Zack Simmons – drums (2004–present)
- Robert "Trans Am" Coleman – bass (2021–present, touring 2014–2021)
- Touring members
- Sam "Samus" Paulicelli – bass (2009)
- Former members
- Ben Stout – guitars (1997–2002)
- Zak Nolan – drums (1997–2003)
- Pat Bruders – bass (1997–2004)
- Tim Holsinger – guitars (2002–2003)
- Nathan Bergeron – bass, backing vocals (2004–2009)
- Jared Benoit – lead vocals (1997)
- James Harvey – bass (2009–2021)
- The Eclipse of Ages into Black (2000)
- Funeral Dirge for the Rotting Sun (2003)
- A Haunting Curse (2006)
- Carving Out the Eyes of God (2009)
- Blood for the Master (2012)
- Constricting Rage of the Merciless (2014)
- Vengeful Ascension (2017)
- Goatwhore / Epoch of Unlight (2003)
- "(Don't Need) Religion" (2011)
- "Command to Destroy" (2017)
- Serenades to the Tides of Blood (1998)
- "Goatwhore - Biography & History". AllMusic. Retrieved June 22, 2017.
- "Ozzfest homepage". Ozzfest.com. Retrieved December 13, 2015.
- "Goatwhore Completes Work On New Album". Blabbermouth.net. March 10, 2014. Retrieved December 13, 2015.
- Clements, Keith (May 9, 2017). ""Goatwhore" Interview". Metalheads Forever Magazine. Retrieved June 22, 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Goatwhore.|