Beatosu and Goblu
|Beatosu and Goblu|
Beatosu (left arrow) and Goblu (right arrow)
Beatosu and Goblu are two non-existent Ohio towns in Fulton and Lucas counties, respectively. They were inserted into the 1978–1979 edition of official state of Michigan map. The names refer to the slogan of University of Michigan fans ("Go Blue!") and a reference to their archrivals from Ohio State University (OSU).
Peter Fletcher, a Michigan alumnus and chairman of the State Highway Commission with a "sly sense of humor", ordered the inclusion the fake towns of "Goblu" (near the real town of Bono, Ohio, off State Route 2) and "Beatosu" (near Archbold, Ohio, just south of Interstate 80/Interstate 90/Ohio Turnpike at exit 25). In a 2008 interview, Fletcher explained that a fellow Michigan alumnus had been teasing him about the Mackinac Bridge colors: green and white, the colors of Michigan State University. Fletcher noted that the bridge colors were in compliance with federal highway regulations, so he had no choice in that matter; he did, however, have more control over the state highway map. Fletcher said that he thus ordered a cartographer to insert the two fictitious towns.
In their 2012 obituary of Fletcher, AnnArbor.com noted that the maps containing the fictional cities had a limited print run and have become collectors items. The map's publication has also been noted as a good luck charm for the University of Michigan Wolverines that year; the team beat their arch rivals 14–3 in the 1978 edition of The Game, which is the greatest North American sports rivalry, according to ESPN.com.
In popular culture
- Gustafson, Sven (October 1, 2012). "Peter B. Fletcher, Longtime Ypsilanti Republican Activist and Philanthropist, Dies at 80". AnnArbor.com. Retrieved October 13, 2016.
- Barnett, Le Roy (November–December 1999). "Paper Trails: The Michigan Highway Map" (PDF). Michigan History. 83 (6): 18–23. Archived from the original (PDF) on September 27, 2007. Retrieved November 25, 2006.
- Garrett, Bob (October 31, 2008). "Beatosu and Goblu, Ohio". Archives Image of the Month. Archives of Michigan, Michigan Historical Center, Michigan Department of Natural Resources. Retrieved August 9, 2009.
- ESPN.com (January 3, 2000). "The 10 Greatest Rivalries". The End of the Century. ESPN.com. Retrieved December 21, 2006.
- "Dreadnok Road Pig (v3) G.I. Joe Action Figure". YoJoe Archive. Retrieved February 24, 2015.
- Key Dates in Map History from MDOT