God's Pocket (film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||John Slattery|
|Written by||John Slattery
|Based on||God's Pocket
by Pete Dexter
|Music by||Nathan Larson|
|Edited by||Tom McArdle|
Cooper's Town Productions Shoestring Pictures
|Distributed by||IFC Films|
God's Pocket is a 2014 American drama film directed by John Slattery and co-written with Alex Metcalf, based on a 1983 novel of the same name by Pete Dexter. The film stars Philip Seymour Hoffman, John Turturro, Christina Hendricks, and Richard Jenkins. The film premiered at the 2014 Sundance Film Festival to mixed critical reviews, and was picked up for domestic distribution by IFC Films. The film is set in a poor working class South Philadelphia neighborhood modeled on Devil's Pocket, but filmed in Yonkers and New Jersey.
Hoffman died within two weeks of the film's premiere at Sundance's 2014 U.S. Dramatic Competition.
When a blue collar worker's stepson is killed in a mysterious accident, he tries to cope, but things become difficult as the characters continue to intertwine in unexpected ways.
- Philip Seymour Hoffman as Mickey Scarpato
- Richard Jenkins as Richard Shelburn
- Christina Hendricks as Jeannie Scarpato
- Caleb Landry Jones as Leon Hubbard
- Domenick Lombardozzi as Sal
- John Turturro as Arthur 'Bird' Capezio
- Eddie Marsan as Smilin' Jack Moran
- Peter Gerety as McKeena
- Eddie McGee as Petey Kearns
- Molly Price as Joanie
- Joyce Van Patten as Aunt Sophie
God's Pocket received mixed reviews from critics. On Rotten Tomatoes, the film has a rating of 36% based on 89 reviews, with the critical consensus reading, "Well-cast but frustratingly clichéd, God's Pocket fails to strike a sensible balance between comedy and drama." On Metacritic, the film received a score of 51 out of 100, based on 27 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
The Hollywood Reporter called it a "half-good effort" that lacked the "snap, precision and stylistic smarts a mixed-tone project like this requires." Screen International called it "too shaggy and tonally inconsistent to hold together." Stephanie Merry from the Washington Post said, "What began as an intriguing snapshot begins to feel grotesque and inscrutable."
The film received some positive reviews from notable critics. Richard Roeper said, "John Slattery's direction is skilled and steady.... Great actors at the top of their game working with rich material." David Edelstein of New York Magazine/Vulture said, ″Slattery adapted the book with Alex Metcalf and gets the tone just right. The film is damnably amusing.″ In a Sundance first-look review The Guardian gave the film 4 out of 5 stars. The New York Post said the film was ″crafted with great skill.″
- "Box Office Mojo - God's Pocket". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 2015-06-24.
- "God's Pocket". rottentomatoes.com. 9 May 2014. Retrieved 2015-06-24.
- "God's Pocket Reviews". Metacritic. 2014-05-09. Retrieved 2014-07-19.
- McCarthy, Todd (2014-01-17). "God's Pocket: Sundance Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2014-07-19.
- Merry, Stephanie (15 May 2014). "'God's Pocket' movie review". Washington Post. Retrieved 2015-06-24.
- "God's Pocket". RichardRoeper.com. Retrieved 2015-06-24.
- Edelstein, David. "Movie Review: God's Pocket". Vulture. Retrieved 2015-06-24.
- Barnes, Henry. "God's Pocket: Sundance 2014 - first look review". The Guardian. Retrieved 2014-07-19.
- Smith, Kyle (2014-01-17). "'God's Pocket' crafted with great skill". NYPost.com. Retrieved 2014-07-19.
- Cunningham, Todd (6 March 2014). "Philip Seymour Hoffman's 'God's Pocket' Gets Release Date". thewrap.com. Retrieved 8 March 2014.