God's Gonna Cut You Down
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
"God's Gonna Cut You Down", also known as "Run On" and "Run On for a Long Time", is a traditional folk song which has been recorded by numerous artists representing a variety of genres. The lyrics are a warning to sinners that no matter how hard they try, they will not avoid God's judgment; in the chorus, God tells the narrator of the song to
|“||Go tell that long tongue liar,
go and tell that midnight rider,
The song has, over time, been modified to fit the boundaries of diverse genres like country, folk, gospel, techno, and black metal. As "God's Gonna Cut You Down", it was performed by Odetta on Odetta Sings Ballads and Blues (1956) and Johnny Cash on the posthumously released American V: A Hundred Highways (2006). As "Run On", it was recorded, among others, by Elvis Presley. A version incorporating sampled vocals by Bill Landford & The Landfordairs was included on Moby's album Play. The song has also been covered by many other artists.
|Single by Moby featuring Bill Landford & The Landfordairs|
|from the album Play|
|B-side||"Spirit", "Running", "Sunday", "Down Slow (full length)"|
3:55 (Extended 12-inch)
3:45 (LP Version)
3:33 (Single Version)
3:09 (Radio Edit)
|Moby featuring Bill Landford & The Landfordairs singles chronology|
The vocal content of the song comes from a 1949 Columbia Records #30203 recording of "Run On For A Long Time" by Bill Landford and the Landfordairs, and features a mix of house music and instrumental music.
UK CD #1 (Mute Records CDMUTE221)
- "Run On"
UK CD #2 (Mute Records LCDMUTE221)
- "Run On (Extended)"
- "Down Slow (Full Length)"
US CD (V2 Records 63881-27583-2)
- "Honey (Album Mix)"
- "Honey (Moby's 118 Mix)"
- "Honey (Sharam Jey's Sweet Honey Mix)"
- "Honey (Aphrodite & Mickey Finn Mix)"
- "Run On (Extended)"
- "Run On (Moby's Young And Funky Mix)"
- "Run On (Sharam Jey's Always On The Run Remix)"
- "Memory Gospel"
UK 12-inch (Mute Records 12MUTE221)
- "Run On (Moby's Young & Funky Mix)"
- "Run On (Dave Clarke Mix)"
- "Run On (Extended)"
Mike Mills' video depicts Moby working at an office where everyone wears white. It then shows an earlier scene involving a workout instructor who faints while teaching a class. Moby then comes in and puts an inhaler in her mouth. It then continues to show an earlier scene, going backwards to tell the entire story: the office Moby works in is heaven, the instructor is self-conscious and unsure of her capabilities, and heaven is a self-help phone line. Eventually, it shows a scene of Moby dead in a parking lot, with a man checking his pulse. It then gone to the earlier scene that concludes the video: Moby working in an office while he was alive, but it has a green light to it, and everyone is unkind and emotionally distant.
Johnny Cash cover
|"God's Gonna Cut You Down"|
|Single by Johnny Cash|
|from the album American V: A Hundred Highways|
|Released||July 4, 2006|
|Genre||Country, gospel blues|
Lost Highway Records
|Johnny Cash singles chronology|
Johnny Cash recorded a version of "God's Gonna Cut You Down" on American V: A Hundred Highways in 2003, with an arrangement quite different from most known gospel versions of the song. The song has sold 672,000 copies in the United States as of January 2016.
A music video, directed by Tony Kaye, was made for this version in late 2006, three years after Cash's death. The video was shot entirely in black and white and features a number of celebrities: David Allan Coe, Patricia Arquette, Travis Barker, Peter Blake, Bono, Sheryl Crow, Johnny Depp, the Dixie Chicks, Flea, Billy Gibbons, Whoopi Goldberg, Woody Harrelson, Dennis Hopper, Terrence Howard, Jay Z, Mick Jones, Kid Rock, Anthony Kiedis, Kris Kristofferson, Amy Lee, Adam Levine, Shelby Lynne, Chris Martin, Kate Moss, Graham Nash, Busy Phillips, Iggy Pop, Lisa Marie Presley, Q-Tip, Corinne Bailey Rae, Keith Richards, Chris Rock, Rick Rubin, Patti Smith, Sharon Stone, Justin Timberlake, Kanye West, Brian Wilson and Owen Wilson.
In the FOX TV series Gotham, this version of the song can be heard at the beginning of the episode What the Little Birdie Told Him, while Jack Gruber is walking to Irwin's Electronics. It also features in the NBC TV series The Blacklist, in the episode The Director: Conclusion, and in the CBC series Republic of Doyle, where it closed episode 10 of season 2, "The Special Detective."
The "Mondkopf Plus de Sommeil" remix of Cash's performance appeared in an ad campaign for the all-new 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee (WK2).
|UK Singles Chart||33|
Johnny Cash cover
|UK Singles Chart||77|
- "God's Gonna Cut You Down (Johnny Cash cover), by Panzerfaust". Retrieved 8 January 2017.
- "COLUMBIA 30000-series 78rpm numerical discography". Retrieved 8 January 2017.
- Sulzer, Will. "Roots Vinyl Guide". Retrieved 8 January 2017.
- Moby (4 September 2012). "Moby 'Run On' - Official video". Retrieved 8 January 2017 – via YouTube.
- "9 MLB All-Stars & Their Country Music Walk-Up Songs". 21 March 2016. Retrieved 8 January 2017.
- Bjorke, Matt (January 25, 2016). "The Top 30 Digital Country Singles: January 25, 2016". Roughstock.
- by (7 November 2006). "Tony Kaye No Longer Just History". Retrieved 8 January 2017.
- Johnny Cash: God's Gonna Cut You Down (Video 2006) - Full Cast & Crew - IMDb
- Abrams, Simon (19 January 2015). "Gotham Recap: Finally, a Decent Episode!". Vulture. Retrieved 22 January 2015.
- "Cleveland Indians Ballpark Music". Retrieved 8 January 2017.
- "Battlefield 1 Official Gamescom Gameplay Trailer". Retrieved 8 January 2017.
- "Review". Liguorian. The Redemptorist Fathers. 63: 68. 1975.
In a marvelous new album of recorded folk songs (Vanguard Recording Co.), a gifted folk singer, Odetta, sings, 'God's A-gonna Cut You Down!' It is a powerful warning, in the style of the 'preaching hymn' of the old-time revivals and camp meetings which were such an important feature of frontier life during the entire 19th century.