God Is My Co-Pilot (band)
God Is My Co-Pilot
|Origin||New York City, New York|
|Genres||Queercore, experimental rock, noise rock, no wave|
|Labels||Outpunk, Knitting Factory, Avant Records, Atavistic Records|
|Associated acts||John Zorn, Melt Banana|
|Members||Craig Flanagin, Normandy Sherwood, Jason Blackkat|
God Is My Co-Pilot (often abbreviated as GodCo) is a queercore band from New York City formed in 1991. The two primary members for most of its existence were openly bisexual married couple, vocalist Sharon Topper and guitarist Craig Flanagin. The last recordings with Topper were made in 1998, though they continued to perform together. There were no new GodCo recordings released until twenty years later, when in 2018 Flanagin released a demo tape on Bandcamp with a new line-up consisting of himself, Normandy Sherwood (of the National Theater of the United States of America) on vocals & electronics, and Jason Blackkat on bass. Topper chose not to participate, but gave the project her blessing. 
All of their material has been released on independent record labels or self-released.
Former members of God Is My Co-Pilot include saxophonist Andy Haas, avant-garde pianist Anthony Coleman, Fly on high-end bass, cellist Fred Lonberg-Holm, Gen Ken Montgomery, Jim Sauter, Kenny Wollesen, Margaret Fiedler McGinnis, Marion Coutts, and Siobhan Duffy, and many more. Guest musicians such as John Zorn and Jad Fair frequently joined them. Their independent record label The Making Of Americans (named after the novel of the same name by Gertrude Stein) released works by Fair, Cat Power, Dairy Queen Empire, and The Scissor Girls among others.
The band's lyrics frequently address sexuality and gender. The band states, in their song, "We Signify, "...We're co-opting rock, the language of sexism, to address gender identity on its own terms of complexity...." They occasionally sing in languages other than English: some of their output has been in French, Yiddish, German, Finnish and Turkish and other languages. Their sound has been described as experimental, noise rock, hardcore punk and avant jazz. Stay Free zine said of the music, "We hear a new sound, 'free punk' we'll call it."
- I Am Not This Body (1992) Making Of Americans
- Speed Yr. Trip (1992) Making Of Americans
- Straight Not (1993) Outpunk
- What Doctors Don't Tell You (1993) Shrimper
- Getting Out of Boring Time Biting Into Boring Pie (1993) Quinnah Records
- How To Be (1994) Making Of Americans
- Sex is For Making Babies (1994) Disques Du Soleil Et De L'acier
- Mir Shlufn Nisht (1994) Avant Records
- Puss 02 (1995) Dark Beloved Cloud
- Children Can Be So Cruel (1997)
- Get Busy (1998) Atavistic Records
- Tight Like Fist (1993) Knitting Factory
- History Of Music: Vol 1 1989-1991 (1995) Meldac [Japan]
- History Of Music: Vol 2 1991-1993 (1996) Meldac [Japan]
- Peel Sessions (1996) Strange Fruit
- The Best Of (1996) Atavistic
- Je Suis Trop Content (1997) Dark Beloved Cloud
- Songs of Praise (1991)
- Refused Medical Attention (1991)
- On A Wing And A Prayer (1992) Funky Mushroom
- Gender is As Gender Does (1992) Funky Mushroom
- How I Got Over (1993) Ajax Records
- My Sinister Hidden Agenda (1993) Blackout Records
- Pissing and Hooting (1993) Dark Beloved Cloud
- Illusions Of Secrecy (1993) Dark Beloved Cloud
- When you See This Remember Me (1993) Dark Beloved Cloud
- Probable Cause; Life under Occupation; Held Down God Is My Co-Pilot/ Fifth Column split single (1993) Outpunk
- Ykt Flot! (1993)
- Sharon Quite Fancies Jo (1994) Soul Static Sound
- This Is No Time To Be Frail (1994) Rough Trade Records
- Kitty Bait (1994) Ajax
- Butch Flip God Is My Co-Pilot/ Melt Banana split single (1994)
- An Appeal To Reason (1995) Runt Records
- Ootko sä poika vai tyttö? (1995) Trash Can
- God Is My Co-Pilot / Bz Bz Ueu split 7" (1998) (Music à la Coque)
- Erase-yer-head No. 9 [split EP with Melt Banana, Tear of a Doll, Camp Blackfoot] (1999) Pandemonium
- "God Is My Co-Pilot".
- "God Is My Co-Pilot reform and announce UK tour".
- Ankeny, Jason. "All Music Biography". allmusic.com. Retrieved 5 May 2012.
- Beck, Walter (1 January 2012). "Queercore Rocking Out of the Closet". thefrontrowreport.com. Retrieved 5 May 2012.
- Harris, John (24 March 2005). "Lots in a name". The Guardian. Retrieved 5 May 2012.
- Hise, Allan (20 January 1999). "God Is My Co-pilot Information". Retrieved 5 May 2012.
- Sprague, David. "God Is My Co-pilot". trouserpress.com. Retrieved 5 May 2012.
- "GOD IS MY CO-PILOT: Tight Fist: Live Recording (Knitting Factory Works)". stayfreemagazine.com. Retrieved 8 May 2012.