God Love Her
|"God Love Her"|
|Single by Toby Keith|
|from the album That Don't Make Me a Bad Guy|
|Released||November 10, 2008|
|Label||Show Dog Nashville|
|Songwriter(s)||Toby Keith, Vicky McGehee|
|Toby Keith singles chronology|
"God Love Her" is a song co-written and recorded by American country music artist Toby Keith, found on his 2008 album, That Don't Make Me a Bad Guy, from which it was released as the second single and on the chart week of March 7, 2009, the song became Keith's 18th Number One song on the Hot Country Songs chart. Keith co-wrote the song with Vicky McGehee.
"God Love Her" is a moderate up-tempo accompanied by electric guitar. It describes the narrator's love for a preacher's daughter, who despite her own rebellious nature ("she was baptized in dirty water") saves the narrator's "soul from the devil".
Jim Malec, a reviewer of The 9513, gave the song a "thumbs up" rating. He described the song as "pretty damn solid", and said that despite its clichéd theme, it was well executed and Keith's vocals showed a "sense of urgency." Dan Milliken, reviewing the song for Country Universe, gave it a C rating. He said that the song "sounds like something any ol’ southern rock wannabe might ship to country radio; instead, it’s coming from one of the genre’s modern greats." He then goes on to say that "it’s a cheesy and overblown little piece." 
A music video was released on October 20, 2008 for the song, directed by Michael Salomon. The video, which stars actress Jillian Nelson, follows the lyrics of the song. The girl is shown in sitting alone in a church, then going outside to run through the woods with a boy. She later gets on the back of his motorcycle and they are shown driving through the countryside. Included with these are scenes of Keith performing the song outside the church and inside a house. It was the only video released from this album.
On January 30, 2009 the music video for "God Love Her" took the top spot of CMT's Top Twenty Countdown, where it remained for 2 weeks.
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100||36|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||54|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||18|
|United States||Gold |
"Down the Road"
by Kenny Chesney with Mac McAnally
|Billboard Hot Country Songs
March 7, 2009
by Keith Urban
- Malec, Jim (November 7, 2008). "Toby Keith - "God Love Her"". The 9513. Archived from the original on January 7, 2009. Retrieved November 21, 2008.
- Milliken, Dan (October 22, 2007). "Toby Keith - "God Love Her"". Country Universe. Retrieved June 17, 2010.
- "Toby Keith – Chart history" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Toby Keith. Retrieved May 6, 2012.
- "Toby Keith – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Toby Keith. Retrieved May 6, 2012.
- "Toby Keith – Chart history" Canadian Hot 100 for Toby Keith. Retrieved May 6, 2012.
- "Best of 2009: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2009. Retrieved December 13, 2009.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-02-25. Retrieved 2012-05-05.