God Shuffled His Feet
|God Shuffled His Feet|
|Studio album by|
|Released||October 26, 1993|
|Recorded||1993, DV Productions, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and Music Head Recording, Lake Geneva, Wisconsin|
|Genre||Alternative rock, folk rock|
|Producer||Jerry Harrison and Crash Test Dummies|
|Crash Test Dummies chronology|
|Singles from God Shuffled His Feet|
God Shuffled His Feet is the second album by the Crash Test Dummies, released in 1993. It features their most popular single, "Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm". The cover art superimposes the band members' faces over the figures of Titian's painting Bacchus and Ariadne. It was their most successful album commercially.
|Drowned in Sound||8/10|
The album was the band's biggest mainstream hit. Allmusic writer Stephen Thomas Erlewine attributes the album's success to "Jerry Harrison's remarkably clear and focused production" and that "apart from the relatively concise pop smarts of the singles "Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm" and "Afternoons and Coffeespoons," God Shuffled His Feet isn't all that different from the band's first album."
God Shuffled His Feet was a number-one album in Austria and New Zealand, and also reached the top five in the national albums charts of numerous countries such as Australia, Norway, Sweden and Switzerland. In addition, the album reached number six in the Netherlands national albums chart, number 2 in the UK Albums Chart, and number nine in the United States Billboard 200 albums chart. In their native Canada, it never reached higher than #17 on the national RPM charts, but fueled by the success of its four singles (all Top 20 hits there) the album eventually reached triple platinum status.
All tracks written by Brad Roberts.
|1.||"God Shuffled His Feet"||5:10|
|2.||"Afternoons & Coffeespoons"||3:56|
|3.||"Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm"||3:55|
|4.||"In the Days of the Caveman"||3:41|
|5.||"Swimming in Your Ocean"||3:49|
|6.||"Here I Stand Before Me"||3:07|
|7.||"I Think I'll Disappear Now"||4:52|
|8.||"How Does a Duck Know?"||3:42|
|9.||"When I Go Out with Artists"||3:44|
|11.||"Two Knights and Maidens"||3:25|
- Crash Test Dummies
- Benjamin Darvill – harmonicas, mandolin, acoustic guitar
- Michel Dorge – drums, percussion
- Ellen Reid – piano, keyboards, accordion, backing vocals
- Brad Roberts – lead vocals, acoustic and electric guitars, piano on "Untitled"
- Dan Roberts – bass guitars, synth bass, backing vocals
- Additional musicians
- Larry Beers – drums on "Afternoons & Coffeespoons", "In the Days of the Caveman", and "When I Go out with Artists"
- Adrian Belew – synthesized guitars on "God Shuffled His Feet"
- Kerry Nation – backing vocals on "Afternoons & Coffeespoons"
- Larry LeBlanc (27 February 1999). "Dummies Hand In their Latest Set". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc.: 18–21. ISSN 0006-2510.
- Erlewine, Steve. "Crash Test Dummies: God Shuffled His Feet > Review". AllMusic. Retrieved 29 April 2010.
- Flaherty, Mike (19 November 1993). "God Shuffled His Feet Review". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 29 July 2012.
- Christgau, Robert. "CG: Crash Test Dummies". RobertChristgau.com. Retrieved 29 July 2012.
- Weston, Colin (7 January 2001). "Crash Test Dummies - God Shuffled His Feet". Drowned in Sound. Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- chart positions - australian-charts.com
- chart positions - allmusic.com