|Engine||Unreal Engine 4|
|Release||Windows, PlayStation 5|
Godfall is an action role-playing game developed by Counterplay Games and published by Gearbox Publishing. The game was released on Microsoft Windows and PlayStation 5 on November 12, 2020. The game is currently scheduled to release on the PlayStation 4 on August 10, 2021.
The game is set in a high fantasy setting, split into the realms of Earth, Water, Air, where players take the role of one of the last exalted Knight's Order to prevent a major apocalyptic event. The player has 5 weapon classes to select from, based on which of their armor sets, Valorplates, they equip. These weapon classes include the longsword, dual blades, polearm, two handed war hammer and the two handed great sword. Additional Valorplates and Augments can be equipped to customize how this character class plays out. It supports single player and up to three players in cooperative mode. The game is described as a "looter-slasher" being based on the loot shooter concept of completing missions and gaining better loot for further quests, the focus of the combat is on melee attacks rather than ranged ones.
The game was developed by Counterplay Games, a 75-person studio in California with several developers that had worked on other loot shooters such as Destiny 2, their prior game being Duelyst. Counterplay engaged with Kowloon Nights to gain funding to help develop Godfall by September 2018 as a triple-A title, and avoid some of the struggles they had with funding Duelyst through a Kickstarter campaign.
The game's world was inspired by The Stormlight Archive, The First Law and the Foundation series, while the gameplay from the Monster Hunter series inspired the variety of weapons and combo mechanics.
Marketing and release
The game's first trailer was revealed in December 2019 at The Game Awards, where it was identified to be the first game confirmed for release on the PlayStation 5, due to be released on November 12, 2020. The game was developed with Unreal Engine 4.
|PC Gamer (US)||65/100|
Godfall sold 5,342 physical copies within its first week on sale in Japan, making it the twenty-first bestselling retail game of the week in the country.
- Wood, Chandler (December 12, 2019). "How Godfall Takes Advantage of the PS5 Tech and Controller, More About its World and Gameplay – Keith Lee Interview". PlayStation Lifestyle. Retrieved December 15, 2019.
- Livingstone, Christopher (December 12, 2019). "Gearbox reveals Godfall, a fantasy action RPG coming next year". PC Gamer. Retrieved December 15, 2019.
- Park, Gene (December 12, 2019). "Godfall, a new loot grind with melee combat, is coming to PlayStation 5 and PC". The Washington Post. Retrieved December 15, 2019.
- Leone, Matt (September 13, 2018). "Meet Kowloon Nights, the group funding Fumito Ueda's next game". Polygon. Retrieved December 15, 2019.
- "Godfall Release Dates Announced; Will Be a PS5 Launch Title". Twinfinite. 16 September 2020. Retrieved 2020-09-16.
- "No, That Godfall Footage Wasn't in Unreal Engine 5". USGamer. 13 June 2020.
- "Nobody Played Godfall On PS5, So It's Coming To PS4". Kotaku. Retrieved 2021-06-13.
- "Godfall for PC Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 2020-11-21.
- "Godfall for PlayStation 5 Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 2020-11-25.
- "Godfall Review". IGN. Retrieved 2021-01-14.
- "Godfall Review – A Soulless Warrior". Game Informer. Retrieved 2021-01-14.
- "Review: Godfall". Destructoid. Retrieved 2021-01-14.
- "Godfall Review: You Probably Won't Fall In Love". USgamer. 9 December 2020. Retrieved 2021-01-14.
- "GODFALL REVIEW". PC Gamer(US). 18 November 2020. Retrieved 2021-01-14.
- "Godfall Review". GameSpot. Retrieved 2021-01-14.
- Romano, Sal (November 19, 2020). "Famitsu Sales: 11/9/20 – 11/15/20". Gematsu. Retrieved November 19, 2020.