Godfrey is a given name and a surname. The given name is derived from the Old French Godefroy, a name composed of the elements: the first being either god ("god") or gōd ("good"); the second being fred ("peace"). The name was brought to England by settlers from Normandy, the Low Countries, and France. The name is rendered Goraidh, Goiridh in Scottish Gaelic. In some cases the surname is derived from the Middle English personal name Godfrey, Godefrey; or the Old French Godefrei, Godefroi, Godefrois; or the Continental Germanic Godefrid. In other cases, the surname is derived from the Irish Mac Gothraidh or Ó Gothraidh.
- Godfrey of Bouillon (1060–1100), leader of the First Crusade
- Godfrey of Cambrai (11th century), prior and poet
- Godfrey of Chichester (11th century), bishop of Chichester
- Godred Crovan (died 1095), King of Dublin and the Isles
- Gofraid mac Amlaíb meic Ragnaill (died 1075), King of Dublin
- Godfrey (comedian) (born 1969), stage name of Godfrey Danchimah
- Godfrey Cambridge (1933-1976), American comedian
- Godfrey Kiprotich (born 1964), Kenyan distance runner
- Godfrey Reggio (born 1939), American director of experimental documentary films
- Godfrey Zaunbrecher (born 1946), American football player
- Thomas Godfrey Evans (1920–1999), English cricketer
- Albert Earl Godfrey (1890–1982), Canadian First World War flying ace
- Ambrose Godfrey (1660–1741), phosphorus manufacturer
- Arthur Godfrey (1903–1983), American radio and television broadcaster
- Ben Godfrey (born 1998), English professional footballer
- Bob Godfrey (1921–2013), English animator
- Brian Godfrey (1940–2010), Welsh footballer
- Dan Godfrey (1868–1939), British bandmaster and composer
- Daniel Strong Godfrey (b. 1949), American composer
- DeWitt Godfrey (born 1960), an American modernist sculptor
- Sir Edmund Berry Godfrey (1621-1678), magistrate murdered in 1678
- Edmund Godfrey-Faussett
- Frederick Race Godfrey (1828-1910), public figure and politician in Victoria, Australia
- Isidore Godfrey (1900–1977), conductor
- Marjorie Godfrey (1919–2003), Indian politician
- Martyn Godfrey (1949-2000), English-Canadian author
- Paul Godfrey (born 1939), former president and CEO of the Toronto Blue Jays
- Richard Godfrey (disambiguation), multiple people
- Robert John Godfrey (born 1947), British composer, pianist and founder member of The Enid
- Steve Godfrey (disambiguation), multiple people
- Thomas J. Godfrey, (1831–1906), American legislator
- Tommy Godfrey (1916–1984), British actor
- Tony Godfrey (footballer) (born 1939), English football goalkeeper who played for Southampton, Aldershot and Rochdale
- William Godfrey (disambiguation), multiple people
- Godfrey, Illinois, a US village
- Godfrey, Kansas
- Godfrey, Washington
- Godfrey, Ontario, a Canadian community
- Glorious Godfrey, often known just by the name "Godfrey", a DC Comics supervillain
- Private Charles Godfrey, a character from Dad's Army.
- Geoffrey (given name), a possible English/French equivalent
- Godfried, a Dutch equivalent
- Gottfried, a German equivalent
- Hanks, P; Coates, R; McClure, P, eds. (2016). The Oxford Dictionary of Family Names in Britain and Ireland. Vol. 2. Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-879882-8.
- Hanks, P; Hardcastle, K; Hodges, F (2006) . A Dictionary of First Names. Oxford Paperback Reference (2nd ed.). Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-861060-1.
- Mark, C (2003). The Gaelic-English Dictionary. New York: Routledge. ISBN 0-203-27706-6.
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Godfrey.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.