8 January 2015 – 29 April 2017
|Prime Minister||Joseph Muscat|
|Minister of Health|
13 March 2013 – 29 March 2014
|Prime Minister||Joseph Muscat|
|Preceded by||Joe Cassar|
|Succeeded by||Chris Fearne|
|Member of Parliament|
13 March 2013 – 3 June 2017
24 June 2017
|Born||4 May 1960
|Political party||Labour Party (until 2017)
Democratic Party (since 2017)
|Domestic partner||Marlene Farrugia|
|Profession||Politician, family doctor|
Godfrey Farrugia (born May 4, 1960, in Żebbuġ) is a Maltese politician, a family doctor, and currently serves as a member of the Maltese parliament. He formerly served as the Minister for Health and a Government Whip, of which he resigned from both posts partially for his lack of trust with the Labour Party in Government.
Farrugia was elected to the Maltese Parliament in the 7th district in March 2013. He was appointed Minister of Health by the President, on advice of Prime Minister Joseph Muscat, on March 11, 2013, being sworn in March 13, 2013. On March 29, 2014, Farrugia tendered his resignation from Minister.
On January 8, 2015, Farrugia was appointed as a Government whip. Whilst serving as Government whip, on April 13, 2016, following the appearance of Konrad Mizzi's name in the Panama Papers leaks, he was of the opinion that he would have resigned if he was in the same situation.
On the 4 December 2016 he participated in walk to raise awareness of Violence against Women organised by Dar Merħba Bik.
Farrugia resigned as a Government whip on the April 29, 2017. Farrugia, in a public message on Facebook addressed to the Prime Minister, said that the Labour Party should have not favoured the powerful few above the national interest.
On the 13th of May 2017, Farrugia resigned from the Labour Party and announced his intention to contest the election on behalf of Democratic Party.
- "General Elections 2013 – District 7". gov.mt. Retrieved 2017-04-29.
- "Hon. Godfrey Farrugia MP – Government Whip". Parlament Ta' Malta. Retrieved 2017-04-29.
- "Godfrey Farrugia, Franco Mercieca resign, 'not a clean bill of health' – Busuttil". The Malta Independent. 2014-03-29. Retrieved 2017-04-29.
- "Konrad Mizzi named in ICIJ Panama Papers investigation exposing global array of crime, corruption - The Malta Independent". www.independent.com.mt. Retrieved 2017-05-03.
- Ltd, Allied Newspapers. "Godfrey Farrugia third PL exponent to suggest Konrad Mizzi should resign". Times of Malta. Retrieved 2017-05-03.
- Ltd, Allied Newspapers. "Controversial Mrieħel towers given the go-ahead by the Planning Authority". Times of Malta. Retrieved 2017-05-03.
- "PL Whip Godfrey Farrugia hits out at Mriehel high-rise development - The Malta Independent". www.independent.com.mt. Retrieved 2017-05-03.
- "Ritratti: Għexieren jingħaqdu f’mixja kontra l-vjolenza domestika". newsbook. Retrieved 2017-05-03.
- "Godfrey Farrugia resigns as Labour whip, says PL using people to protect its power". Malta Independent. Retrieved 2017-04-29.
- "Here's The Full Resignation Letter Of Labour Whip Godfrey Farrugia". Retrieved 2017-05-01.
- "Watch: Godfrey Farrugia resigns from Labour Party, says it has 'lost its soul'; to contest with PD - The Malta Independent". www.independent.com.mt. Retrieved 2017-05-13.
- "Marlene Farrugia does not exclude 'convergence of political life' with partner Godfrey Farrugia". The Malta Independent. Retrieved 2017-04-29.