Godfrey Morgan, 1st Viscount Tredegar
When the Crimean War broke out in 1854, Tredegar held the rank of Captain at the age of 22 in the 17th Lancers and he accompanied his famous regiment to the scene of the great struggle. He was in action at the Battle of Alma and later on 25 October 1854 was in command of a section of the Light Brigade that rode into the 'Valley of Death' at the Battle of Balaclava, he survived. Godfrey's horse, 'Sir Briggs', also survived, and lived at Tredegar House until his death at the age of 28. He was buried in the Cedar Garden at Tredegar House (though not with full military honours as is frequently believed). The monument still stands there today.
In later years, as other members of the Morgan family had been in the past, he became a benefactor to the people of Newport. Large tracts of land were donated to the Corporation for the benefit of the public, including Belle Vue Park, the Royal Gwent Hospital and Newport Athletics Grounds. This earned him the nickname of "Godfrey the Good" among local people. He served as High Sheriff of Monmouthshire for 1858. In May 1902 he bought the lordships of the manor of Newport and Caerleon from the Duke of Beaufort, including the right to appoint a member of the Newport Harbour Commission. Tredegar succeeded his father as 2nd Baron Tredegar in 1875. He was made a Viscount in 1905, and become the first Freeman of Newport in 1909.
- Person Page - 7472 The Peerage
- Paul Busby - Tredegar House Tour Guide, at the Balaclava Dinner talk, Tredegar Arms, Bassaleg 2012
- The London Gazette: . 3 February 1858. Retrieved 29 September 2008.
- "Sale of the Duke of Beaufort′s estate". The Times (36782). London. 31 May 1902. p. 12.
- Who's Who 1916, xxiv has the date as 12 March.
- Statue of Godfrey, First Viscount Tredegar
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Godfrey Morgan
- Works by Godfrey Charles Morgan at Project Gutenberg
- Works by or about Godfrey Morgan, 1st Viscount Tredegar at Internet Archive
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
Sir Joseph Bailey, Bt
|Member of Parliament for Breconshire
The Duke of Beaufort
|Lord Lieutenant of Monmouthshire
Sir Ivor Herbert, Bt
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
|New creation||Viscount Tredegar