|This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (September 2013)|
|Godfrey Nhlanhla Ngwenya
SBG DMG MMS LOM
28 April 1950|
|Service/branch||South African Army|
|Years of service||1994 - 2011|
|Other work||Ambassador to Angola|
General Godfrey Ngwenya was born in Johannesburg on 28 April 1950. He attended Orlando High School, where he matriculated in 1970. He joined the ANC and the ANC's Military Wing, Umkhonto we Sizwe (MK), at the height of the student uprisings in South Africa in 1976. While in exile he underwent military training in Angola and passed his further commanders' courses in the then German Democratic Republic and the Soviet Union.
He joined Umkhonto weSizwe (MK), the military wing of the African National Congress, in 1976, and commanded MK forces in Angola from 1983 to 1989. He transferred to the South African National Defence Force when MK was incorporated into it in 1994 and he was appointed as Major General and served as Deputy General Officer Commanding of Witwatersrand Command in Johannesburg from 1994 to 1996.
From 1996 to 1998 he was General Officer Commanding of North West Command in Potchefstroom and from 1998 to the end of September 1999 Chief Director Force Preparation in the Army Office. He served as Deputy Chief of Joint Operations from 1 October 1999 to 31 December 2000. He was promoted to the rank of Lt Gen on 1 January 2001 and appointed as Chief of Joint Operations to 2005, when he was promoted to Chief of the SANDF.
Ambassador to Angola
After retirement from the SANDF General Ngwenya was appointed Ambassador to Angola.
Awards and Decorations
In addition, he has been awarded the following medals and decorations:
- Star for Bravery in Gold (SBG)
- Merit Medal in Silver (MMS)
- Tshumelo Ikatelaho (General Service Medal)
- Medalje vir Troue Diens (Medal for Loyal Service with 30 Year Clasp)
- Legion of Merit (LOM) (USA)
- Engelbrecht, Leon (21 January 2010). "Fact file: General Godfrey Nhlanhla Ngwenya". Defenceweb.co.za. DefenceWeb. Retrieved 20 December 2014.
- Ndaba, CPO Dennis (July 2005). "A final compliment to a General for life" (PDF). SA Soldier. 12 (7): 10–13. ISSN 1609-5014. Retrieved 20 December 2014.
- "Sisulu bids farewell to ex-defence chief". news24.com. 2 June 2011. Retrieved 20 December 2014.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20120606070816/http://www.defenseimagery.mil/imagery.html. Archived from the original on June 6, 2012. Retrieved May 30, 2012. Missing or empty
- "Chiefs Shake". defense.gov. Retrieved 20 December 2014.
- http://www.navy.mil.za/archive/1106/110608_SANDF_new_command/CV_Ngwenya.htm[dead link]
|Ambassador to Angola
Gen Siphiwe Nyanda
|Chief of the South African National Defence Force
2005 – 2011
Gen Solly Shoke
|Chief of Joint Operations Division
2001 – 2005
Maj Gen Jonny Coetzer
|GOC North Western Command
1996 – 1998
Brig Gen Robbie Coetsee