|Headquarters||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Adi Godrej (Chairman)|
|Revenue||US$4.1 billion (2015)|
Number of employees
Godrej Group is an Indian multinational conglomerate headquartered in Mumbai, which is managed and largely owned by the Godrej family. It was founded by Ardeshir Godrej and Pirojsha Burjorji Godrej in 1897, and operates in sectors as diverse as real estate, consumer products, industrial engineering, appliances, furniture, security and agricultural products. Its subsidiaries and affiliated companies include Godrej Industries and its subsidiaries Godrej Consumer Products, Godrej Agrovet, and Godrej Properties, as well as the private holding company Godrej & Boyce Mfg. Co. Ltd.
- 1897: Godrej was established in 1897
- 1897: Godrej introduced the first lock with lever technology in India.
- 1902: Godrej makes its first Indian Safe
- 1918: Godrej Soaps Limited incorporated
- 1920: Godrej made soap using vegetable oil, which was a huge hit with the vegetarian community in India
- 1955: Godrej produced India's first indigenous typewriter
- 1961: Godrej Started Manufacturing Forklift Trucks in India
- 1971: Godrej Agrovet Limited began as an Animal Feeds division of Godrej Soaps
- 1974: Veg oils division in Wadala, Mumbai acquired
- 1988: Godrej Properties Limited, another subsidiary, established
- 1989: Godrej became the first Indian company to introduce PUF (polyurethane foam)
- 1991: Foods business started
- 1994: Transelektra Domestic Products acquired
- 1995: Transelektra forged a strategic alliance with Sara Lee USA
- 1999: Transelektra renamed Godrej Sara Lee Limited and incorporated Godrej Infotech Ltd.
- 2001: Godrej Consumer Products was formed as a result of the demerger of Godrej Soaps Limited. Godrej Soaps renamed Godrej Industries Limited
- 2002: Godrej Tea Limited set up
- 2003: Entered the BPO solutions and services space with Godrej Global Solutions Limited
- 2004: Godrej HiCare Limited set up to provide a Safe Healthy Environment to customers by providing professional pest management services
- 2006: Foods business was merged with Godrej Tea and Godrej Tea renamed Godrej Beverages & Foods Limited
- 2007: Godrej Beverages & Foods Limited formed a JV with The Hershey Company of North America and the company was renamed Godrej Hershey Foods & Beverages Limited
- 2008: Godrej relaunched itself with new colourful logo and a fresh identity music
- 2010: Godrej launched GoJiyo a free, browser based 3D virtual world
- 2011: Godrej & Boyce shuts down its typewriter manufacturing plant, the last in the world.
- 2014: Godrej kick-starts Masterbrand 2.0 – bigger & brighter; Launches FreeG; India's first non-web based mobile browsing experience, 18 November 2014 
- 2020: The Godrej Group enters into financial services business with Godrej Housing Finance (GHF) to provide affordable Home loans 
Godrej has a philanthropic arm that has built schools, dispensaries and a residential complex for their employees. Trusts established by Godrej continue to invest in education, healthcare and upliftment of the underprivileged. Godrej is a supporter of the World Wildlife Fund in India, it has developed a green business campus in the Vikhroli township of Mumbai, which includes 200 acres mangrove forest and a school for the children of company employees.
Twenty-five percent of the shares of the Godrej holding company are held in trusts that include the Pirojsha Godrej Foundation, the Soonabai Pirojsha Godrej Foundation and the Godrej Memorial Trust. Through these trusts the Group supports healthcare, education and environmental sustainability initiatives such as The Mangroves, Teach for India, WWF, Smile Train and the Godrej Memorial Hospital among others.
The Godrej group can be broadly divided into two major holding companies, working independently:
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 29 October 2006. Retrieved 18 February 2010.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Meet our Board of Directors | Godrej". www.godrej.com.
- "Godrej Group Profile". Godrej. 26 March 2013. Archived from the original on 25 February 2016. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- "The Godrej Group - Godrej". Archived from the original on 25 January 2016. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- Godrej, online publication", 18 March 2010 "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 11 July 2011. Retrieved 8 November 2010.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Godrej, online publication", May 7 2011 "Godrej and Boyce to shut typewriter production". Archived from the original on 25 January 2021. Retrieved 21 February 2021.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 5 July 2015. Retrieved 4 July 2015.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Godrej enters financial services via launch of Godrej Housing Finance". 11 November 2020.
- "Home Loans, Balance Transfer - Godrej Housing Finance". www.godrejhf.com.