2 May 1984
|Alma mater||Government College University, Lahore|
Beaconhouse National University
|Occupation||RJ and Actor|
|Relatives||Ghulam Ahmed Perwez (maternal grandfather)|
Gohar Rasheed (born Urdu: گوہر رشید; May 2, 1984) is a Pakistani actor. He is best known for his work in the internationally acclaimed movie Seedlings, for which he was nominated for best actor in a supporting role at the 2012 New York Film Festival and the 1st ARY Film Awards, and nominated for best actor at the 13th Lux Style Awards. He is also cast in the biggest budget Pakistani film, The Legend of Maula Jatt, which is slated for releaase in 2019.
Early life and education
Rasheed was born in Lahore, Punjab on 2 May 1984. The famous Islamic scholar Ghulam Ahmed Perwez was his maternal grandfather. Rasheed attended Government College University, Lahore and went on to receive his undergraduate degree with majors in theater, film, television and minors in journalism from Beaconhouse National University. Rasheed started his career from theater, which runs his career as a successful actor. Before entering to cinema, his parents wants him to enter family business of stock exchange, but Rasheed did his graduation in entertainment media from BNU, Lahore, and moved to Karachi to pursue in media production, and got a job as a line producer at Hum TV, but quit after three years for theater.
Rasheed made his theater debut in Bombay Dreams directed and produced by well known theater personality Shah Sharabeel in 2008, where he played an Indian character of Vikram. He then got his first major role in theater version of musical play Moulin Rouge, he played a role of The Duke of Monroth, his performance in this play received by an overwhelming response. He then acted in 2013 political play by Anwar Maqsood and Dawar Mehmood The Sawa 14 August as a General Zia-ul-Haq. He plays Iftekhar in comical play Half Plate by Anwar and Dawar in 2014.
Rasheed also marked his acting career as a supporting character along with Samiya Mumtaz in Daddy, but gets a wider acclaimed in television through drama serial, Shikwa. He then plays Shaukt in Hum TV's blockbuster serial Digest Writer and has appeared in three further serials Goyaa, Khuda Na Karay and Nazdeekiyan. According to Gohar theater and films are his domain, and "TV needs to grow up first, because I am not going to end up with roles that have been done hundreds of times." However, after much praise from Digest Writer Gohar signed three dramas of ARY Digital, Bismil alongside Hareem Farooq and Aitraz (previously entitled Tum Rahay Na Tum) opposite Imran Abbas, Sana Javed and Sania Saeed, and Paiwand, all dramas were aired in late 2015. In 2016, he appeared in Mann Mayal as Meekail with Maya Ali, Hamza Ali Abbasi and Ayesha Khan.
His film credits includes Seedlings and Main Hoon Shahid Afridi both films earned him a wide spread acclaim, Seedlings proves enormous beneficial for him, his acting abilities received highly positive response. His second film Main Hoon Shahid Afridi which holds an ensemble cast also create a milestone in his career, Humayun Saeed offered the role of a passionate cricketer from Sialkot, Kashif Ali a.k.w Kaali Andhi after watching his performance in theater play Moulin Rouge.
In 2013, Gohar was chosen to play the character of Babar, Zeba Bakhtiar's film O21 alongside Bilal Ashraf and Ayaz Samoo as a trio of antagonists. Gohar will star as corrupt SHO Jibroun, alongside Humayun Saeed and Shafqat Cheema in Hamza Ali Abbasi's action-comedy film Kambakht that were scheduled to release in 2015 but was delayed and will appear as Baran in Hassan Waqas Rana's war epic Yalghaar. He is also expected to star in Aamir Mohiuddin's upcoming Film Rangreza alongside Sana Javed and Bilal Ashraf where Gohar will play the role of a dholak player.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|Main Hoon Shahid Afridi||Kashif Ali a.k.a. Kaali Andhi|
|2015||Jawani Phir Nahi Aani||XYZ (fashion designer)||cameo appearance|
|2019||The Legend of Maula Jatt||Maakha Natt||Post-production The trailer is launched on 21 Dec|
|Digest Writer||Shaukat||Hum TV|
|Khuda Na Karay||Kashif||ARY Digital|
|Mere Jevan Sathi||Moed|
|2016||Mann Mayal||Mikaeel||Hum TV|
|2017||Mujhay Jeenay Do||Naseeb||Urdu 1|
|2018||Meri Nanhi Pari||ARY Digital|
|Badshah Begum ||Hum TV|
|2008||Bombay Dreams||NAPA, Lahore||Vikram||Center Stage Production |
- Directed & Produced by Shah Shahrabeel
|2009||Tom Dick and Harry||NAPA, Lahore||Constable Down's|
|2010||Moulin Rouge||NAPA, Karachi||Duke|
|2011||Bombay Dreams||NAPA, Karachi||Akash|
|2013||Sawa 14 August||NAPA, Karachi
|General Zia-ul-Haq||Kopy Kats Production |
- Written by: Anwar Maqsood
- Directed by: Dawar Mehmood
|2014||Half Plate||Iftekhar Ahmed|
|Year||Station Show Name||Radio station||Role|
|2007–present||Pakistanwallah||Radio1 FM91||Radio Jockey / RJ|
Awards and nominations
|2012||Seedlings||NYCIFF Best Actor in a Supporting Role||Nominated|
|2014||ARY Film Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role|
|Lux Style for Best Actor|
|2016||Mann Mayal||Hum Award for Best Supporting Actor||Won|
- "Spotlight on Gohar Rasheed, a budding theatre and film star". Express tribune. 30 June 2013. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- "Gohar Rasheed Biography". Gossip.pk. 27 September 2014. Archived from the original on 20 October 2014. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- "Gohar Rasheed on Twitter, @GoharRsd". Twitter. 14 August 2018. Retrieved 15 August 2018.
A tale of friendship about #Pakistan letter from Mr #MohammadAliJinnah to Mr #GhulamAhmedParvez (My Nana Abu)💚 🇵🇰 #Jinnah #HappyIndependenceDay2018 straight from Nana Abu’s archive
- "Gohar Rasheed: Biography, Profile and Pictures". Ayman Naseem. Showbiz Pak. 26 September 2014. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- "Gohar Rasheed Biography Portal". ApnaTVZone. 21 April 2013. Retrieved 8 December 2014.
- "Conversation with Gohar Rasheed". Laaltain.com. 22 February 2013. Retrieved 8 December 2014.
- "Films and theatre are my domain, TV needs to grow up first. says Gohar Rasheed". The News. 30 March 2014. Retrieved 8 December 2014.
- "Gohar Rasheed set to mesmerize fans in upcoming Drama Bismil". Sheeba Khan. HIPPakistan. 1 April 2015. Retrieved 4 July 2015.
- "Imran Abbas Starred in Tum Rahay Na Tum opposite, Sana Javed and Gohar Rasheed". Ayesha Ahmad. HIPPakistan. Retrieved 4 July 2015.
- "Gohar Rasheed as Mikail in HUM TV's upcoming 'Mann Mayal'". HIP. 15 January 2016. Retrieved 25 January 2016.
- "Mann Mayal Is Set To Engage Audiences With A Star-studded Cast". The News International. 19 January 2016. Retrieved 24 January 2016.
- "Gohar Rasheed an introduction". Lollywood. Retrieved 8 December 2014.
- "O21'S 3rd Film Log Episode Released, Gohar Rasheed, Bilal Ashraf and Ayaz Somo TRIO FEATURES". GalaxyLollywood. 29 June 2013. Retrieved 8 December 2014.
- "Kambakht-a tasetful comedy". GalaxyLollywood. 8 February 2014. Archived from the original on 23 December 2014. Retrieved 8 December 2014.
- "Kambakht Comedy Film of Pakistan to Release In 2014". Awami web. 8 February 2014. Retrieved 8 December 2014.
- "Yalghaar movie cast and crew". lollywoodin. Retrieved 8 December 2014.
- Mahmood, Rafay (8 January 2016). "Fawad Khan cast as Maula Jatt, Hamza Ali Abbasi is Noori". The Express Tribune. Archived from the original on 22 May 2016.
- The Legend of Maula Jatt Official Channel, The Legend of Maula Jatt (2019) - Official First Look Trailer, retrieved 21 December 2018