Goin' Down Rockin': The Last Recordings
|Goin' Down Rockin': The Last Recordings|
|Studio album by Waylon Jennings|
|Released||September 25, 2012|
|Waylon Jennings chronology|
|Singles from Goin' Down Rockin': The Last Recordings|
Goin' Down Rockin': The Last Recordings is a posthumous album by country music singer Waylon Jennings, released on September 25, 2012. The release includes eight unreleased songs written and recorded by Jennings along with his bassist Robby Turner during the last years of his life as well as eight songs never released before in any version.
Jennings recorded the songs only playing his guitar and singing while accompanied by Turner on the bass. Further instrumentation was planned, but it was stopped due to Jennings' death in 2002. Turner completed the recordings ten years later with the help of members of Jennings' band The Waylors.
During his last years of life, Jennings recorded several tracks along with his steel guitarist/bassist Robby Turner. The recordings consisted on twelve songs that Jennings considered that expressed his feelings and reflections at the time. Featuring vocals and guitar playing by Jennings, with the accompaniment of Turner on the bass, further instrumentation was planned to be added, but the project was stopped when Jennings died in 2002. Ten years later, Turner gathered along with Reggie Young, Richie Albright, Tony Joe White, and other members of Jennings' band, The Waymore Blues Band, to complete the tracks. Eight of the twelve unreleased songs were written by Jennings, with the addition of Tony Joe White's original "Goin' Down Rockin" and Willie Nelson's "Sad Songs and Waltzes".
The existence of the recordings was known by Jennings' wife, Jessi Colter and his son, Shooter Jennings. The family was not comfortable with marketing Jennings' image after his death, feeling that they would "capitalize" on it. Ten years later, they approved the release of the finished songs by Turner. The album was released on September 25, 2012 by Saguaro Road Records.
The family asked Kris Kristofferson to write something about Waylon Jennings. What Kristofferson wrote can be seen on the cover.
|1.||"Goin' Down Rockin'"||Waylon Jennings, Leann White, Tony Joe White||3:58|
|2.||"Belle of the Ball"||Jennings||4:55|
|3.||"If My Harley Was Runnin'"||Jennings, Buddy Emmons, Troy Seals||3:28|
|4.||"I Do Believe"||Jennings||3:32|
|5.||"Friends in California"||Jennings, Bill LaBounty||3:07|
|6.||"The Ways of the World"||Jennings||5:32|
|7.||"Shakin' the Blues"||Jennings||3:07|
|8.||"Never Say Die"||Jennings||3:40|
|10.||"Sad Songs and Waltzes"||Jennings, Willie Nelson||2:27|
|11.||"She Was No Good for Me"||Jennings||4:20|
|12.||"Wrong Road to Nashville"||Jennings||3:29|
- Richie Albright- drums, percussion
- Jim "Moose" Brown- electric guitar, Hammond B-3 organ
- Chad Cromwell- drums, percussion, tambourine
- Larry Franklin- fiddle
- Waylon Jennings- acoustic guitar, lead vocals
- Barny Robertson- Hammond B-3 organ, piano
- Carter Robertson- humming, background vocals
- Aaron Rodgers- electric guitar
- John Wesley Ryles- background vocals
- Joe Spivey- fiddle
- Robby Turner- bass guitar, upright bass, dobro, Fender Rhodes, acoustic guitar, Hammond B-3 organ, handclapping, keyboards, pedal steel guitar, piano, electric piano, synthesizer, tambourine, background vocals, Wurlitzer piano
- Billy Joe Walker Jr.- acoustic guitar
- Tommy White- dobro
- Tony Joe White- electric guitar, harmonica, background vocals
- Jenny Lynn Young- cello
- Reggie Young- electric guitar
|US Billboard 200||67|
|US Billboard Top Country Albums||14|
- "Going for Adds". Radio & Records. Retrieved July 3, 2012.
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. "Goin' Down Rockin': The Last Recordings review". Allmusic. Retrieved September 25, 2012.
- "Goin' Down Rockin': The Last Recordings of Waylon Jennings Tracklist". Roughstock. CHERI MEDIA GROUP. April 16, 2012. Retrieved July 2, 2012.
- Talbott, Chris (February 13, 2012). "New Music On The Way From Late Waylon Jennings". Huffington Post. AOL, Inc. Retrieved Jule 2, 2012. Check date values in:
- "Waylon Jennings' Last Recordings to Be Released September 11". Taste of Country. Townsquare Media, LLC. April 18, 2012. Retrieved July 2, 2012.
- "Chart listing for Goin' Down Rockin': The Last Recordings". Billboard. Retrieved October 4, 2012.