Goin' Back to Indiana
|Goin' Back to Indiana|
|Soundtrack album by The Jackson 5|
|Released||September 29, 1971|
|The Jackson 5 chronology|
Goin' Back to Indiana was a live/soundtrack album by The Jackson 5 for Motown Records, taken from their September 16, 1971 ABC TV special of the same name. This is the Jackson 5's sixth album overall.
The Goin' Back to Indiana television special featured comedians Bill Cosby and Tommy Smothers, singers Bobby Darin and Diana Ross, football players Roosevelt "Rosey" Grier, and Ben Davidson, and basketball stars Bill Russell, Elgin Baylor, and Elvin Hayes. It also featured tracks recorded by the Jackson 5 during their May 29 "homecoming" concert in Gary, Indiana (hence, both the show title and name of 1970 song that appeared on Third Album). The album went on to sell 2.6 million copies worldwide.
- "I Want You Back" (The Corporation) – 4:14
- "Maybe Tomorrow" (The Corporation) – 4:15
- "The Day Basketball Was Saved" – 7:59
- "Stand!" (Sylvester Stewart) – 4:15
- "I Want to Take You Higher" (Sylvester Stewart) – 2:13
- "Feelin' Alright" (originally by Traffic) (Dave Mason) – 4:12
- Medley: "Walk On" (this version originally by Isaac Hayes)/"The Love You Save" (The Corporation) – 4:57
- "Goin' Back to Indiana" (The Corporation) – 4:47
In 2001, Motown Records remastered all J5 albums in a "Two Classic Albums/One CD" series (much like they did in the late 1980s). This album was paired up with Lookin' Through the Windows. The bonus tracks were "Love Song" and a live performance of "Who's Lovin' You", which first appeared on the soundtrack of the 1992 TV movie The Jacksons: An American Dream.
The original show was cut short and only half of it was used for the album. The following listed is the full set for the show. The songs in italics were the ones not included on the original album.
- I Want You Back - 04:16
- Maybe Tomorrow - 04:19
- The Day Basketball Was Saved - 07:58
- Stand! - 04:16
- I Want to Take You Higher - 02:09
- Feelin' Alright - 04:12
- Walk On/The Love You Save - 04:58
- Goin' Back to Indiana - 04:45
- Who's Lovin' You [*][Version] - 05:34
- Allmusic review
- Chery, Carl: XXL: Michael Jackson Special Collectors Edition, page 100. American Press.