Goin' Places (The Jacksons album)
|Studio album by The Jacksons|
|Released||October 8, 1977|
|Recorded||December 1976 – August 1977|
|Studio||Sigma Sound Studios
|Genre||Funk, soul, disco, philadelphia soul|
Philadelphia International Records
|Producer||Kenneth Gamble & Leon Huff
McFadden & Whitehead
|The Jacksons chronology|
|Singles from Goin' Places|
|The Rolling Stone Album Guide|||
Released in October 18, 1977, this would be the last Jacksons album released as a joint venture between Epic Records and Philadelphia International Records. By 1978, The Jacksons would record primarily with Epic and would return to mainstream success with their next album, Destiny. This is considered their lowest-selling album next to 2300 Jackson Street. The album peaked at #63 on the Billboard 200, and at #11 on the Billboard R&B albums chart and sold over half a million copies worldwide.
Goin' Places did spawn the disco-hit "Different Kind of Lady" written by the group. The song gave the brothers the confidence to write and produce an entire album by themselves.
Goin' Places Tour
To promote the album a series of concerts were booked early in 1978. The Goin' Places Tour began on January 22, 1978 and ended on May 13, 1978.
- Think Happy
- Get It Together,
- Forever Came Today,
- I Am ,Love
- Keep On Dancing,
- Never Can Say Goodbye,
- Got to Be There,
- Sugar Daddy,
- I Wanna Be Where You Are,
- I'll Be There,
- Medley:I Want You Back/ABC/The Love You Save,
- Find Me A Girl,
- Dancing Machine,
- Enjoy Yourself
- February 24, 1978 - Port of Spain, Trinidad
- February 25, 1978 - Port of Spain, Trinidad
- February 26, 1978 - San Fernando, Trinidad
- May 13, 1978 - Los Angeles, California, Dodger Stadium
- Michael Jackson - Lead vocals
- Marlon Jackson - Vocals
- Jackie Jackson - Vocals
- Tito Jackson - Guitar, vocals
- Randy Jackson (The Jacksons) - Congas, keyboard, piano, vocals
In November, 1977 The Jacksons created music videos to promote songs from their Goin' Places album.
The "Even Though You're Gone" music video features the band members sitting (Michael separated from the rest of the group) singing the song. The video features The Jacksons wearing blue tuxedos.
All tracks composed by Kenneth Gamble and Leon Huff; except where noted.
- "Music's Takin' Over" (John Whitehead, Gene McFadden, Victor Carstarphen) – 4:26
- "Goin' Places" (recorded December 1976) – 4:30
- "Different Kind of Lady" (The Jacksons) – 4:10
- "Even Though You're Gone" – 4:31
- "Jump for Joy" (recorded December 1976 – 1977) (Dexter Wansel, Cynthia Biggs) – 4:42
- "Heaven Knows I Love You, Girl" – 3:55
- "Man of War" – 3:13
- "Do What You Wanna" (The Jacksons) – 3:31
- "Find Me a Girl" – 4:34
- Michael Jackson - lead and backing vocals
- Tito Jackson - lead (tracks 6 & 7) and backing vocals, guitars
- Marlon Jackson - lead (track 7) and backing vocals
- Jackie Jackson - lead (track 7) and backing vocals
- Randy Jackson - lead (track 7) and backing vocals, congas
- Charles Collins - drums
- David Cruse, Larry Washington - percussion
- Roland Chambers, Michael "Sugar Bear" Forman, Dennis Harris - guitars
- Leon Huff, Dexter Wansel - keyboards, piano
- Dexter Wansel, Jack Faith - arrangements
|UK Albums (OCC)||45|
|US Billboard 200||63|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||U.S. R&B|
|1978||"Find Me a Girl"||-||38|
- Wynn, Ron. The Jacksons: Goin' Places > Review at AllMusic. Retrieved 03 October 2011.
- Chery, Carl: XXL: Michael Jackson Special Collecters Edition, page 100. American Press.
- "The Jacksons Chart History". Official Charts Company. Retrieved April 12, 2017.
- "The Jacksons US Chart History". Billboard. Retrieved April 12, 2017.
- "The Jacksons US singles chart history". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-10-03.