Golconda Skate Park
|Golconda Skate Park|
Fat Kid Spot
|Area||18,000 sq ft (1,700 m2)|
|Created||New York City Department of Parks and Recreation|
|Public transit access||New York City Subway: trains to York Street|
Golconda Skate Park, known as Fat Kid, is a public skate park in the Downtown Brooklyn/Fort Greene neighborhoods of Brooklyn, New York City, that originated as a DIY skate spot. Built under the Brooklyn Queens Expressway, the 18,000 square foot professionally built skate park was completed in 2016 and sits within Golconda Playground.
Located under the Brooklyn Queens Expressway, the park originated as a D.I.Y skate park known as Fat Kid or the Fat Kid spot. In 2013, work began on a 3.7 million dollar redesign of Golconda playground which included a redesign of the old D.I.Y skate park into a public skate park that flows with the design of the entire park. In 2016, the New York City Parks Department opened a remodeled Golconda Playground, including a redesigned skatepark. Steve Rodriguez worked with the Parks Department and the skating community to advise the design of the skate park.
Starting in early 2019, the NYC Skateboard Coalition, working with the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation, hosts monthly clean-ups at Golconda to mitigate the debris that build up in the park. In November 2019, the Pablo Ramirez foundation joined the NYC Skateboard Coalition to co-host a clean-up and skate session in support of the foundation's Brooklyn Skate Garden project. Also in November 2019, the NYC Skateboard Coalition installed a lock box for brooms and other tools to be stored in an accessible place at Golconda for park locals to clean the skatepark themselves.
Fat Kid Spot original name
The DIY skate spot that became Golconda Skate Park got its original name, Fat Kid Spot, because of its low-impact obstacles, which were relatively close to the ground. Hence, the obstacles were easier to do for "fatter" people.
Etymology of Golconda
- "Golconda Park in Downtown Brooklyn now open with skatepark and playground - Brooklyn Bridge Parents - for parents in Brooklyn". Brooklyn Bridge Parents - for parents in Brooklyn. 2016-11-21. Retrieved 2019-11-24.
- "Golconda Playground in Downtown Brooklyn Reopens With Revamped Skatepark". DNAinfo New York. Archived from the original on 2017-11-12. Retrieved 2019-11-24.
- Stapinski, Helene (2016-10-21). "Good News, Brooklyn Skaters: Fat Kid Spot Is Coming Back". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2019-11-24.
- Skateboarding, N. Y. (2016-11-17). "Golconda Skatepark in Dumbo Brooklyn Now Open (2016)". NYSkateboarding.com. Retrieved 2019-11-24.
- "Shredding It! A Visit to NYC's Newest Skatepark". Red Tricycle. 2017-10-22. Retrieved 2019-11-24.
- Bendon, Sean (2019-11-16). "Brooklyn Skate Garden Fat Kid clean up". Skate Jawn. Retrieved 2019-11-24.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Golconda Skate Park.|