At 24 to 30 centimeters in length and weighing from 110 to 181 grams, the golden-whiskered barbet is one of the largest of the sixteen species of barbets in Southeast Asia. Their green overall plumage and yellow "whiskered" cheeks camouflages them amid the foliage they favor. Genders are similar in appearance but do display a small degree of sexual dichromatism in that the beaks of female specimens appear paler and have a dusky bluish color. Before reaching maturity birds of both sexes have duller overall plumage.
Habit and diet
This bird spends most of the day singing and foraging for food in the forest canopy. Otherwise well camouflaged, their rapid and extraordinary loud "tehoop-tehoop-tehoop-tehoop" call often betrays their presence.
Its natural habitats are subtropical or tropical moist lowland forests and subtropical or tropical moist montane forests. They are found in lowland foothills and tall second growth forests but are rare in evergreen forests and swamp forests. The golden-whiskered barbet can also found be found on cocoa plantations.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Megalaima chrysopogon.|
|Wikispecies has information related to: Megalaima chrysopogon|
In Mandarin Chinese it is known as 金须拟䴕 (jīnxū nǐliè) "golden-whiskered false woodpecker" or 金颊拟啄木鸟 (jīn jiá nǐ-zhuómù-niǎo) or as "gold-cheeked false woodpecker". Its Japanese name is キホオゴシキドリ or 黄頬五色鳥 (kihō goshikidori), "yellow-cheeked five-coloured bird." Bucco chrysopogon is a pseudonym.
- BirdLife International (2012). "Psilopogon chrysopogon". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2013.2. International Union for Conservation of Nature. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- Josep Del Hoyo (2002). Handbook of the Birds of the World, Vol. 7: Jacamars to Woodpeckers. Lynx Edicions. ISBN 84-87334-37-7.
- "Megalaimidae (Asian Barbets)". Archived from the original on 2009-07-05. Retrieved 2009-02-25.
- "Bird Ecology Study Group » Barbet, To’can, H’guide". Archived from the original on 2009-02-21. Retrieved 2009-02-25.
- "Avibase: Gold-whiskered Barbet (Megalaima chrysopogon)". Retrieved 2009-02-25.
- "- Megalaimidae - 拟啄木鸟科 - ゴシキドリ科 - Họ Cu rốc -". Retrieved 2009-02-25.