Gold Coast Historic District (Chicago)
Gold Coast Historic District
Gold Coast's Oak Street Beach
|Location||Roughly bounded by North Ave., Lake Shore Dr., Clark and Oak Sts., Chicago, Illinois|
|Architect||McKim, Mead & White; multiple|
|Architectural style||Moderne, Italianate, Queen Anne|
|NRHP reference No.||78001121|
|Added to NRHP||January 30, 1978|
The Gold Coast Historic District is a historic district in Chicago, Illinois. Part of Chicago's Near North Side community area, it is roughly bounded by North Avenue, Lake Shore Drive, Oak Street, and Clark Street.
The Gold Coast neighborhood grew in the wake of the Great Chicago Fire. In 1882, millionaire Potter Palmer moved to the area from the Prairie Avenue neighborhood on the city's south side. He filled in a swampy area which later became Lake Shore Drive, and built the Palmer Mansion, a forty-two room castle-like structure designed by Henry Ives Cobb and Charles Sumner Frost. Other wealthy Chicagoans followed Potter into the neighborhood, which became one of the richest in Chicago.
In the late 1980s, the Gold Coast and neighboring Streeterville comprised the second most-affluent neighborhood in the United States, behind Manhattan's Upper East Side. Today, the neighborhood is a mixture of mansions, row houses, and high-rise apartments. Highlights include the Astor Street District and the James Charnley House.
The nearby East Lake Shore Drive District and parts of northern Streeterville and the Magnificent Mile near the lake also may be considered part of the Gold Coast (such as the area around the 860-880 Lake Shore Drive Apartments), even if not technically in the historic designation. The mayor's office map extends the Gold Coast south to the area of Northwestern University's Chicago campus.
- Gold Coast Gallery
Historical images of Chicago's Gold Coast can be found in Explore Chicago Collections, a digital repository made available by Chicago Collections archives, libraries and other cultural institutions in the city.
Residents of the Gold Coast are zoned to Ogden School for grades K-8, while for high school they are zoned to Lincoln Park High School. Any graduate from Ogden's 8th grade program may automatically move on to the 9th grade at Ogden, but students who did not graduate from Ogden's middle school must apply to the high school.
The Latin School of Chicago is also located in the Gold Coast and is one of the nation's most prestigious K-12 private schools.
Gold Coast has a long tradition of being home to some of the nation's wealthiest and influential residents. These include:
- J.B. Pritzker – businessman, venture capitalist, politician and current Governor of Illinois.
- Lori Greiner – inventor, entrepreneur, and television personality
- Vince Vaughn – actor
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. April 15, 2008.
- Don DeBat and Gary S. Meyers. "Manhattan transfer–Streeterville and the Gold Coast : Second plushest neighborhood in U.S. has it all". Chicago Sun-Times. January 13, 1989. 15.
- National Register of Historic Places in Cook County. Retrieved on June 12, 2008.
- "Chicago neighborhoods" (PDF). City of Chicago. Retrieved 2010-04-16.[permanent dead link]
- Richest urban neighborhoods 2011
- Long, Elizabeth. "A Single Portal to Chicago's History". The University of Chicago News. Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- "Map." Gold Coast Neighbors Association. Retrieved on December 21, 2016.
- Home. Ogden International School of Chicago. Retrieved on October 10, 2018. "Head of Elementary: [...] Grades K-4 East Campus 24 W. Walton St. Chicago, IL 60610"
- Matthews, David (2016-11-01). "Ogden-Jenner Merger Is Best For Both Schools, New Study Says". Archived from the original on 2016-12-21. Retrieved 2016-12-21.
- "Near North/West/Central Elementary Schools Archived June 12, 2009, at the Wayback Machine" (Archive). Chicago Public Schools. May 17, 2013. Retrieved on May 25, 2015.
- "HS North/Near North." Chicago Public Schools. 2013. Retrieved on September 30, 2016.
- "Admissions". Ogden International School. Retrieved 2020-04-04.
Graduates of 8th grade at Jenner Campus can automatically enroll in 9th grade at Ogden's West Campus. If your child graduated from a different middle school [...]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gold Coast Historic District (Chicago).|