The host stadium – Stadio Olympico
|Date||June – August|
|Event type||Track and field|
|Official site||Diamond League Golden Gala|
Golden Gala is an annual track and field event at the Olympic Stadium in Rome, Italy. Previously one of the IAAF Golden League events, it is now part of the IAAF Diamond League. Following the 2013 death of Italian sprinting legend Pietro Mennea, the organizers added his name to the title of the meet.
Primo Nebiolo, the Italian president of IAAF since 1981, was the founder of the Golden Gala and had the idea to bring the athletes and the people from the United States and the NATO countries together that were boycotting the Moscow Olympics in 1980 as a result of the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. Nebiolo died of a heart attack at age 76 in 1999.
At the 2009 edition of the Golden Gala, Kenenisa Bekele, Kerron Stewart, Sanya Richards and Yelena Isinbayeva all remained on target for the 2009 Golden League jackpot. In the 100 m, Tyson Gay equalled his American record and Daniel Bailey set an Antiguan record in the men's race. Antonietta Di Martino brought the sole Italian victory in Rome by beating off favourite Blanka Vlašić in the high jump.
Over the course of its history, eight world records have been set at the Gala. The 1500 metres and Mile records by Hicham El Guerrouj still stand. In 2014 Joanne Pavey's 15:04.87 in the 5000 metres bettered the existing masters world record in the W40 division by almost 16 seconds.
|2008||Pole vault||5.03 m||Yelena Isinbayeva||Russia|
|2000||Javelin throw||68.22 m||Trine Hattestad||Norway|
|1999||Mile||3:43.13||Hicham El Guerrouj||Morocco|
|1998||1500 m||3:26.00||Hicham El Guerrouj||Morocco|
|1995||5000 m||12:55.30||Moses Kiptanui||Kenya|
|1987||5000 m||12:58.39||Saïd Aouita||Morocco|
|1984||Pole vault||5.94 m
| Soviet Union
|1983||Pole vault||5.83 m||Thierry Vigneron||France|
- Powell, David (2009-07-10). Bekele – ‘I’m dreaming about this jackpot’ – ÅF Golden League. IAAF. Retrieved on 2009-07-23.
- Ramsak, Bob (2009-07-10). Gay powers back with 9.77 in Rome – REPORT – ÅF Golden League. IAAF. Retrieved on 2009-07-23.
- "Golden Gala Pietro Mennea – Men's 100m Results". IAAF. 4 June 2015. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- "3000m Steeplechase Men: Results" (PDF). IAAF Diamond League. Omega Timing. 31 May 2012. Retrieved 31 May 2012.
- Phil Minshull (5 June 2014). "Barshim soars not shimmies over the bars in Rome – IAAF Diamond League". IAAF. Retrieved 6 June 2014.
- "Long Jump Results" (PDF). www.goldengala.it. 2009-07-10. Retrieved 2009-08-21.
- "Golden Gala Pietro Mennea – Men's Triple Jump Results". IAAF. 4 June 2015. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- David Martin (31 May 2012). "Bolt's blazing 9.76 one of seven world leads on electric night in Rome - Samsung Diamond League". IAAF. Retrieved 2 June 2012.
- "100 Metres Results". www.goldengala.it. 2009-07-10. Retrieved 2010-05-14.
- "1500m Women: Results" (PDF). IAAF Diamond League. Omega Timing. 31 May 2012. Retrieved 31 May 2012.
- "5000m Results" (PDF). sportresult.com. 2 June 2016. Retrieved 3 June 2016.
- "3000 Metres Steeplechase Results" (PDF). www.goldengala.it. 2009-07-10. Retrieved 2010-05-14.
- "Golden Gala 2004 Result Book" (PDF). www.goldengala.it. 2004-07-02. Retrieved 2009-08-21.
- "Shot Put Women: Results" (PDF). IAAF Diamond League. Omega Timing. 31 May 2012. Retrieved 31 May 2012.
- "4×100m Relay Results" (PDF). sportresult.com. 2 June 2016. Retrieved 3 June 2016.