Golden Gate Bridge in popular culture
Golden Gate Bridge has been destroyed in the following films.
- It Came from Beneath the Sea (1955, Robert Gordon) = Destroyed by a giant monster attack.
- Superman (1978, Richard Donner) = Partially destroyed by an earthquake.
- The Core (2003, Jon Amiel) = Destroyed by a solar flare from the Sun.
- 10.5 (2004, John Lafia) = Destroyed by a major earthquake.
- X-Men: The Last Stand (2006, Brett Ratner) = Destroyed and moved to Alcatraz by Magneto, one of X-Men's villans. Shown to be rebuilt at the end.
- Mega Shark Versus Giant Octopus (2009 Jack Perez) = Destroyed by a giant monster attack.
- Monsters vs. Aliens (2009, Conrad Vernon & Rob Letterman) = Partially destroyed by a giant monster attack.
- Meteor Storm (2010, Tibor Takács) = Destroyed by a meteor shower.
- Pacific Rim (2013, Guillermo del Toro) = Destroyed by a giant monster attack.
- Godzilla (2014, Gareth Edwards) = Destroyed by a giant monster attack.
- San Andreas (2015, Brad Peyton) = Destroyed by a major tsunami.
- Terminator Genisys (2015, Alan Taylor)
It has featured also in the following movies.
- The Maltese Falcon (1941)
- Dark Passage (1947)
- Vertigo (1958)
- Herbie Rides Again (1974): The bridge is missed
- Time After Time (1979): Amy Robbins drives H G Wells across it in her car.
- A View to a Kill (1985)
- Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986): The bridge is missed
- The Abyss (1989): The bridge is missed
- Doctor Who (1996): The Bridge appears briefly as the story is set in San Francisco.
- Bicentennial Man (1999): Seen expanded in the future (circa 2200s) with a two-tiered roadway added.
- Hulk (2003)
- Land of the Lost (2009)
- Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol (2011): The bridge is missed
- Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011): The bridge is hit and disrupted traffic, but not destroyed.
It has been the subject of a 2006 documentary and a 2008-2010 documentary TV series:
- The Bridge – a film about suicides from Golden Gate Bridge in 2004.
- Life After People - A TV documentary series about what happens to the world if humanity suddenly disappears; the Golden Gate Bridge collapses after around 100 years due to corrosion in its support cables. After 200 years, only the towers remain intact.
In Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, the bridge is destroyed in the "Collapse" campaign mission after Atlas detonates it.
- KRON-TV, the former NBC/My Network TV affiliate used an animated version of the Golden Gate Bridge as their legal ID in the 1970s and 1980s.
- NORAD Tracks Santa, the Golden Gate Bridge was a featured Santa Cam location for the 2002 tracking season.
- A small-scale replica of the bridge was previously used at the main entry point of Disney's California Adventure Park in Anaheim, California. The replica was replaced in the early 2010s by a small-scale model of the Glendale-Hyperion Bridge as part of the entrance plaza's transformation into a re-creation of Los Angeles' Buena Vista Street.
- "How many times was Golden gate brigde under attack?". youtube.com. Retrieved June 18, 2018.
-  YouTube video of GGB legal ID from July 14, 1987
- tomsmith0002 (January 15, 2009). "NORAD Tracks Santa - Dec 2002 - 23 - San Francisco, CA, USA - English" – via YouTube.
- "Golden Gate Bridge at Yesterland". www.yesterland.com.