Golden Gate Bridge in popular culture
Golden Gate Bridge has been destroyed in the following films.
- It Came from Beneath the Sea (1955, Robert Gordon) = Destroyed by a giant monster attack.
- Superman (1978, Richard Donner) = Partially destroyed by an earthquake.
- The Core (2003, Jon Amiel) = Destroyed by a solar flare from the Sun.
- 10.5 (2004, John Lafia) = Destroyed by a major earthquake.
- X-Men: The Last Stand (2006, Brett Ratner) = Destroyed and moved to Alcatraz by Magneto, one of X-Men's villans. Shown to be rebuilt at the end.
- Mega Shark Versus Giant Octopus (2009 Jack Perez) = Destroyed by a giant monster attack.
- Monsters vs. Aliens (2009, Conrad Vernon & Rob Letterman) = Partially destroyed by a giant monster attack.
- Meteor Storm (2010, Tibor Takács) = Destroyed by a meteor shower.
- Pacific Rim (2013, Guillermo del Toro) = Destroyed by a giant monster attack.
- Godzilla (2014, Gareth Edwards) = Destroyed by a giant monster attack.
- San Andreas (2015, Brad Peyton) = Destroyed by a major tsunami.
- Terminator Genisys (2015, Alan Taylor)
It has featured also in the following movies.
- The Maltese Falcon (1941)[further explanation needed]
- Dark Passage (1947)[further explanation needed]
- Vertigo (1958)[further explanation needed]
- The Love Bug (1968): The bridge is seen when Herbie is about to launch himself off the bridge.
- Herbie Rides Again (1974): The bridge is seen on certain scenes.
- A View to a Kill (1985)[further explanation needed]
- Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986): The bridge is almost hit by Admiral Kirks' out of control Klingon Bird of Prey
- The Abyss (1989): The bridge is missed
- Homeward Bound II: Lost in San Francisco (1996): The Seavor family drives across the bridge to go to San Francisco International Airport. The pets later cross the bridge on their way home.
- Bicentennial Man (1999): Seen expanded in the future (circa 2200s) with a two-tiered roadway added.
- Hulk (2003)[further explanation needed]
- Land of the Lost (2009)[further explanation needed]
- Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol (2011): The bridge is missed
- Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011): The bridge is hit and disrupted traffic, but not destroyed.
- Bumblebee (2018): The bridge is seen when Charlie and Bumblebee arrive on a cliff overlooking the bridge.
- Beautiful boy (2018): The bridge is seen in a scene where Nick stops the car and calls his sponsor.
It has been the subject of a 2006 documentary and a 2008-2010 documentary TV series:
- The Bridge – a film about suicides from Golden Gate Bridge in 2004.
- Life After People - A TV documentary series about what happens to the world if humanity suddenly disappears; the Golden Gate Bridge collapses after around 100 years due to corrosion in its support cables. After 200 years, only the towers remain intact.
In Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, the bridge is destroyed in the "Collapse" campaign mission after Atlas detonates it.
The 2011 game Driver: San Francisco, as its name implies, is set in San Francisco. It also features many missions modelled after famous movie car chases including one from Gone in 60 Seconds which ends at the Golden Gate Bridge.
The Golden Gate Bridge also appeared in several SCS games like 18 Wheels of Steel series and American Truck Simulator as part of the game world.
- KRON-TV, the former NBC/My Network TV affiliate used an animated version of the Golden Gate Bridge as their legal ID in the 1970s and 1980s.
- NORAD Tracks Santa, the Golden Gate Bridge was a featured Santa Cam location for the 2002 tracking season.
- A small-scale replica of the bridge was previously used at the main entry point of Disney's California Adventure Park in Anaheim, California. The replica was replaced in the early 2010s by a small-scale model of the Glendale-Hyperion Bridge as part of the entrance plaza's transformation into a re-creation of Los Angeles' Buena Vista Street.
- In the Sliders episode "Post Traumatic Slide Syndrome", the Golden Gate Bridge is blue, which is how Wade finds out the Earth they have landed on is not Earth Prime.
- "How many times was Golden Gate Bridge under attack?". youtube.com. Retrieved June 18, 2018.
-  YouTube video of GGB legal ID from July 14, 1987
- tomsmith0002 (January 15, 2009). "NORAD Tracks Santa - Dec 2002 - 23 - San Francisco, CA, USA - English" – via YouTube.
- "Golden Gate Bridge at Yesterland". www.yesterland.com.