|The Golden Glider|
|First appearance||Flash #250 (June 1977)|
|Created by||Cary Bates
|Alter ego||Lisa Snart|
|Notable aliases||Lisa Star, Goldie, Glider|
|Abilities||Olympic-level figure skater
Skilled inventor of jewel-themed gadgets and weaponry
Wears experimental skates
Astral form that grants:
Ability to move at extreme speeds
Fictional character biography
Lisa Snart is a figure skater, known by the alias Lisa Star, who has help in her career from her secret coach and lover, The Top, a foe of Flash Barry Allen who dies from complications of dueling with the scarlet speedster. Furious over his death, Snart vows revenge. She adopts an orange ice-skater's costume, a mask, and ice skates which create their own ice flow, allowing her to effectively skate on air. She also has diamonds and jewels that can be used as explosives or hypnotic devices. The Golden Glider seeks revenge against the Silver Age Flash for several years. She frequently collaborates in her heists with her brother, who is very protective of her.
After the death of Barry Allen, Snart retires from crime (she blames Allen himself for the Top's death, not his successor Wally West). She and her brother embark on a career as mercenaries, forming the Golden Snowball Recovery Company. Eventually she returns to crime, with a series of partners, all code-named "Chillblaine", whom she supplies with a replica of her brother's cold gun. The last of these—described as more intelligent and ruthless than his predecessors—kills Snart with the weapon she gave him before holding Keystone for ransom with the aid of Doctor Polaris, with Flash only just managing to defeat them. Chillblaine is then himself killed by Captain Cold in retaliation. In the time since, her death had been a constant source of grief for her older brother.
In Blackest Night #1, she is reanimated as a member of the Black Lantern Corps. She and her fellow Black Lantern Rogues attack Iron Heights Penitentiary, but Cold is able to maintain control of his emotions of grief long enough to destroy the Black Lantern Glider.
The New 52
In this timeline of The New 52, Lisa Snart's murder has been written out of continuity and she is alive again. In this continuity, she is now dying of a brain tumor. She survives after the tumor is removed, but expresses shame over her brother's actions. Later, she mysteriously appears in South America, now going by the name "Glider" and apparently wielding metahuman abilities. She is shown recruiting Weather Wizard for some unknown purpose after his battle with the Flash. She recruits Heat Wave, The Trickster and Mirror Master to join her faction to exact revenge on Flash, but is stopped with the help of Pied Piper, and her brother.
Powers and abilities
The Golden Glider is an Olympic level figure skater. Thanks to a pair of experimental skates that create their own ice, she is able to skate on any surface, including mid-air. She invented or acquired (depending on the item) a number of jewel-themed gadgets and weapons, such as poisoned rings or hypnosis jewels, and used these to great effect in her crusade against the Flash.
In the New 52, Glider has gained metahuman abilities due to being caught in the blast that also gave Mirror Master, Captain Cold, Heatwave, and Weather Wizard their powers. Glider has become separated from her body, giving her an astral form that allows her to fly and move at extreme speeds. She also has ribbon-like tendrils that can easily cut and kill a person without any evidence of an attack.
Glider and one of her Chillblaines are featured as one of the villains draining Wally of his speed. Despite being slowed, Wally defeats the pair and leaves them for the police.
In the alternate timeline of the Flashpoint event, Lisa Snart and her brother, Leonard were being brutally beaten by their own father. Later, Lisa killed her father with a gunshot and was arrested for the crime. Lisa is taken to Iron Heights and is then kidnapped by the Rogues. Citizen Cold arrives to try to rescue her, but finds she has been killed by the Rogues member Fallout.
Teen Titans Go!
A teen version of Golden Glider named Ice Kate appeared in an issue of Teen Titans Go! as part of a supervillain duo consisting of herself and her brother, Kid Kold. The two villains were defeated by Kid Flash and Jinx after a botched robbery.
In other media
- Lisa Snart/Golden Glider appears on The CW's The Flash portrayed by Peyton List. Described as sly, charming, a little sadistic, and not afraid to use her sexuality to get what she wants, this version is a wild child who is anxious to prove to her cold and calculating older brother Leonard Snart/Captain Cold that she has what it takes to be in his criminal gang. Lisa was mentioned, though not by name, when detective Joe West was describing her brother's back story to Barry Allen, stating that their father abused Leonard and Lisa when they were children. She first appears, off-screen, at the end of the season one episode "Revenge of the Rogues", armed with her own gun, when she breaks Leonard and his accomplice Mick Rory/Heat Wave out of an armored car on their way to Iron Heights, where Mick shows interest in Lisa. She re-appears in the episode "Rogue Time", teaming with her brother and Mick. Lisa, wearing a blonde wig, deceives Cisco by expressing sexual interest in him and even kisses him with the intention of forcing him to rebuilding Leonard and Mick's guns, while Leonard also kidnaps Cisco's brother Dante to ensure his cooperation. After succeeding Leonard also forces Cisco to make another gun for Lisa, which can freeze people like Leonard's but appears like gold instead of ice, which she and Leonard use to attack the Santini crime family casino. Later she, Leonard and Mick use bikes to chase a truck taking the Santini's money out of the city but she and Mick are toppled over by The Flash as Leonard is taken away to discuss the matter of him knowing Flash's secret. In the episode "Rogue Air", after Barry enlists Leonard's help to transport the metahuman criminals from S.T.A.R. Labs to Ferris Air intending for them to be taken to Lian Yu Leonard further enlists Lisa's help. It's also revealed that Leonard hasn't told Lisa of Barry's identity, which she resents Leonard for, and also attempts to flirt with Cisco and appears genuinely hurt when he rejects her but it's also shown that Cisco actually still has a crush on her which he's not proud of. Lisa helps in the transport of the metas by driving the truck to the airport and when waiting for the A.R.G.U.S. plane she asks Cisco to give him a nickname and he gives her "Golden Glider", and shows further interest in Cisco which causes him to briefly smile to himself. However it's revealed that Leonard and Lisa sabotaged the truck allowing the metahumans to escape and attack Barry. Shawna Baez / Peek-a-Boo and Kyle Nimbus / The Mist escape while Leonard kills Jake Simmons / Deathbolt, claiming Simmons owed him money, but Leonard manages to talk to Mark Mardon / Weather Wizard and Roy Bivolo / Rainbow Raider and reminds them that they owe him for ensuring their freedom. After parting ways Leonard reveals to Barry that he freed them so he could recruit them all into his gang, the Rogues, and drives away with Lisa.
- Beatty, Scott (2008), "Golden Glider", in Dougall, Alastair, The DC Comics Encyclopedia, New York: Dorling Kindersley, p. 140, ISBN 0-7566-4119-5, OCLC 213309017
- Flash (vol.2) #113 (May 1996)
- Blackest Night: The Flash #1 (February 2010)
- Blackest Night: The Flash #2 (March 2010)
- Flash (vol. 4) #6 (April 2012)
- Flash (vol. 4) #7 (May 2012)
- Flash (vol. 4) #10 (August 2012)
- Flash (vol. 4) #11 (September 2012)
- Flash Annual (vol. 4) (October 2012)
- Flash Annual (vol. 2) #4 (1991)
- Flashpoint: Citizen Cold #1 (June 2011)
- Flashpoint: Citizen Cold #2 (July 2011)
- Teen Titans Go! #53 (May 2008)
- "The Flash’ Casts ‘Mad Men’ Actress as Villain ‘Golden Glider". TV Line. November 17, 2014. Retrieved November 17, 2014.
- Golden Glider at Flash: Those Whose Ride the Lightning
- Crimson Lightning - An online index to the comic book adventures of the Flash.