Golden Globe Award for Best Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama
|Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama|
|Awarded for||Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Drama|
|Presented by||Hollywood Foreign Press Association|
|Currently held by||Isabelle Huppert for Elle (2016)|
The Golden Globe Award for Best Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama was first awarded by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association as a separate category in 1951. Previously, there was a single award for "Best Actress in a Motion Picture" but the splitting allowed for recognition of it and the Best Actress – Comedy or Musical.
The formal title has varied since its inception. In 2005, it was officially called: "Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama". As of 2013, the wording is "Best Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama".
- "†" indicates an Academy Award-winning performance.
- "‡" indicates an Academy Award-nomination.
- "§" indicates a Golden Globe Award-winning performance that was not nominated for an Academy Award.
Winners and nominees
|1943||Jennifer Jones †||Bernadette Soubirous||The Song of Bernadette|
|1944||Ingrid Bergman †||Paula Alquist Anton||Gaslight|
|1945||Ingrid Bergman ‡||Sister Mary Benedict||The Bells of St. Mary's|
|1946||Rosalind Russell ‡||Sister Elizabeth Kenny||Sister Kenny|
|1947||Rosalind Russell ‡||Lavinia Mannon||Mourning Becomes Electra|
|1948||Jane Wyman †||Belinda MacDonald||Johnny Belinda|
|1949||Olivia de Havilland †||Catherine Sloper||The Heiress|
- 3 wins
- Ingrid Bergman (2 consecutive)
- Jane Fonda (2 consecutive)
- Meryl Streep (2 consecutive)
- 2 wins
- Cate Blanchett
- Sally Field
- Jodie Foster
- Shirley MacLaine
- Geraldine Page (consecutive)
- Rosalind Russell (consecutive)
- Hilary Swank
- Joanne Woodward
- Jane Wyman
- Academy Award for Best Actress
- Critics' Choice Movie Award for Best Actress
- Independent Spirit Award for Best Female Lead
- BAFTA Award for Best Actress in a Leading Role
- Golden Globe Award for Best Actress – Motion Picture Comedy or Musical
- Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role