A golden jubilee is a celebration held to mark a 50th anniversary.
The golden jubilee is a royal ceremony to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the accession of the king. The Thai word is kanchanaphisek (กาญจนาภิเษก). The first Golden Jubilee of Thailand was the celebration of King Bhumibol Adulyadej.
King Rama IX celebrated his golden jubilee on 9 June 1996, having acceded to the throne in 1946 which makes him Thailand's longest-reigning monarch and the longest-living monarch today.
The largest faceted diamond in the world, known as the Golden Jubilee Diamond, was purchased as a gift for the King on the 50th anniversary of his coronation by Thai businessmen. Currently, the diamond is located in the Royal Thai Palace as part of the crown jewels.
The symbol of the golden jubilee
The symbol of the golden jubilee of King Bhumibol Adulyadej was designed by Wiyada Charoensuk, who won the contest for the design.
There are three parts to the design:
- The King’s throne (in center) is a sign of the Jakkree dynasty (the dynasty of King Bhumibhol)
- The white tiered umbrellas of kingship, which represent the constitution of Thailand
- The two Elephants, which represent the Thai people
The Fine Arts Department wanted this design to:
- Celebrate the King
- Help Thai people remember Thailand's tradition
- Show that Thais are proud to be people of their King
- Show that Thais have a long history as a Thai nation
In the United Kingdom and the other Commonwealth realms
For Queen Elizabeth II
For Queen Victoria
In 1887 the United Kingdom and the British Empire celebrated Queen Victoria's golden jubilee. Victoria marked 20 June 1887—the fiftieth anniversary of her accession—with a banquet, to which fifty European kings and princes were invited. Although she could not have been aware of it, there was a plan by Irish Republicans to blow up Westminster Abbey while the Queen attended a service of thanksgiving. This assassination attempt, when it was discovered, became known as the Jubilee Plot. At the time, Victoria was an extremely popular monarch.
- Emperor Wu of Han dynasty (141 BC-87 BC, Jubilee in 91 BC)
- Kangxi Emperor of Qing dynasty (1661–1722, Jubilee in 1711)
- Qianlong Emperor of Qing dynasty (1735–1796, Jubilee in 1785)
- Yeongjo of Joseon (1724-1776, Jubilee in 1774)
In Japan, golden jubilee refers to a 50th anniversary and is called Go-Zai-i gojūnen kinen (御在位50年記念?). Emperor Hirohito (or Emperor Shōwa), celebrated his golden jubilee on 10 November 1976. Showa Memorial Park was established as part of a project to commemorate his golden jubilee.
- For the year 2015, the "Singapore50" initiative is launched in Singapore to celebrate 50 years of independence from Malaysia. The logo is meant to identify with the SG50 celebrations. National Day Parade ceremonies for that year are themed Majulah Singapura - Our Golden Jubilee.
In other countries
- In Austria-Hungary, emperor Franz Josef celebrated his golden jubilee in 1898.
- In Norway, King Haakon VII celebrated his golden jubilee in 1957.
- In Malaysia, Sultan Tuanku Abdul Halim Muadzam Shah celebrated his golden jubilee on 15 July 2008 after 50 years reigning the state of Kedah.
- In Egypt, the Egyptian Television celebrated its golden jubilee on 22 July 2010 after 50 years from airing for the first time.
- In Kenya, the Nation Media Group's Daily Nation and Sunday Nation celebrated their golden jubilee in the year 2010 after 50 years from being published for the first time. (Sunday Nation - March 1960; Daily Nation - October 1960)
- In New Zealand, Kingseat Hospital celebrated 50 years of operation in 1982., and Maeroa Intermediate in 2004.
- In Detroit, Michigan in the United States, the 1946 Automotive Golden Jubilee was a citywide celebration of the fiftieth anniversary of the American automotive industry.
- Alhaji (Dr.) Ado Bayero The Emir of Kano, Nigeria celebrated his golden jubilee on June 2013
- Silver jubilee
- Diamond jubilee
- Platinum jubilee
- Ruby jubilee
- Buckingham Palace Gardens
- Wedding anniversary
- De beers: A Diamond is Forever "Golden Jubilee"(June 13, 2008) Retrieved October 25, 2013
- "SG50". singapore50.sg.
- Kedah Sultan's Golden Jubilee Celebration Bernama.com, 12 July 2008
- "Kingseat Hospital, Fifty Years, 1932-1982". google.co.nz.
- "The 1946 Automotive Golden Jubilee". Detroit Public Library. Retrieved 2012-02-27.