A golden jubilee is a celebration held to mark a 50th anniversary.
The golden jubilee is a royal ceremony to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the accession of the king. The Thai word is kanchanaphisek (กาญจนาภิเษก). The first Golden Jubilee of Thailand was the celebration of King Bhumibol Adulyadej.
King Rama IX celebrated his golden jubilee on 9 June 1996, having acceded to the throne in 1946. He was Thailand's longest-reigning monarch.
The 545.65 carat Golden Jubilee Diamond was purchased by Thai businessmen as a gift for the king on the 50th anniversary of his coronation. The diamond is held in the Royal Palace as part of Thailand's crown jewels.
The symbol of the golden jubilee
The symbol of the golden jubilee of King Bhumibol Adulyadej was designed by Wiyada Charoensuk, winner of a design contest.
There are three elements to the design:
- The king's throne (in center) is a sign of the Jakkree dynasty (the dynasty of King Bhumibhol)
- White tiered umbrellas of kingship, representing the constitution of Thailand
- Two elephants, representing the Thai people
The Fine Arts Department wanted this design to:
- Celebrate the king
- Help Thai people remember Thailand's traditions
- Show that Thais are proud to be subjects of the king
- Show that Thais have a long history as a nation
In the United Kingdom and the other Commonwealth realms
In the United Kingdom and other Commonwealth realms, a golden jubilee celebration is held in the 50th year of a monarch's reign. The golden jubilee of George III of the United Kingdom was celebrated on 25 October 1809, prior to the actual 50th anniversary in 1810.
For Queen Elizabeth II
For Queen Victoria
In 1887 the United Kingdom and the British Empire celebrated Queen Victoria's golden jubilee. Victoria marked 20 June 1887—the fiftieth anniversary of her accession—with a banquet, to which fifty European kings and princes were invited. Although she could not have been aware of it, there was a plan by Irish Republicans to blow up Westminster Abbey while the Queen attended a service of thanksgiving. This assassination attempt, when it was discovered, became known as the Jubilee Plot. At the time, Victoria was an extremely popular monarch.
- Emperor Wu of Han dynasty (141 BC-87 BC, Jubilee in 91 BC)
- Kangxi Emperor of Qing dynasty (1661–1722, Jubilee in 1711)
- Qianlong Emperor of Qing dynasty (1735–1796, Jubilee in 1785)
- Yeongjo of Joseon (1724-1776, Jubilee in 1774)
In Japan, golden jubilee refers to a 50th anniversary and is called Go-Zai-i gojūnen kinen (御在位50年記念). Emperor Hirohito (or Emperor Shōwa), celebrated his golden jubilee on 10 November 1976. Showa Memorial Park was established as part of a project to commemorate his golden jubilee.
- For the year 2015, the "Singapore50" initiative is launched in Singapore to celebrate 50 years of independence from Malaysia. The logo is meant to identify with the SG50 celebrations. National Day Parade ceremonies for that year are themed Majulah Singapura - Our Golden Jubilee.
In other countries
- In Brunei, Abdul Jalilul Akbar celebrated his golden jubilee in 1648.
- In Brunei, Omar Ali Saifuddin I celebrated his golden jubilee in 1790.
- In Bavaria, Charles Theodore, Elector of Bavaria celebrated his golden jubilee as Elector Palatine in 1792.
- In Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach, Grand Duke Karl August celebrated his golden jubilee in 1826, dating from when he reached his majority.
- In Austria-Hungary, Emperor Franz Josef celebrated his golden jubilee in 1898.
- In Baden, Grand Duke Frederick I celebrated his golden jubilee in 1906, dated from when he became regent to his brother before succeeding to the throne.
- In Liechtenstein, Prince Johann II celebrated his golden jubilee in 1908.
- In Greece, King George I was assassinated mere weeks before his golden jubilee was due to be celebrated in 1913.
- In Montenegro, Nikola I Petrović-Njegoš celebrated his golden jubilee in 1914.
- In Norway, King Haakon VII celebrated his golden jubilee in 1955.
- In Burundi, King Mwambutsa IV Bangiriceng celebrated his golden jubilee in 1965.
- In Ethiopia, Emperor Haile Selassie celebrated his golden jubilee, dating from when he became regent, in 1966.
- In Iran, Naser al-Din Shah Qajar was assassinated and killed while visiting a holy place around Tehran as a religious ceremony and preparing to celebrate the 50th anniversary of his monarchy. (In Lunar Calendar)
- In Iran, Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi celebrated the 50th anniversary of Pahlavi Dynasty in 1976.
- In Japan, Emperor Hirohito celebrated his golden jubilee in 1976.
- In Monaco, Prince Rainier III celebrated his golden jubilee in 1999.
- His Highness the Aga Khan IV celebrated his Golden Jubilee from July 11, 2007 to December 13, 2008.
- In Malaysia, Sultan Tuanku Abdul Halim Muadzam Shah celebrated his golden jubilee on 15 July 2008 after 50 years reigning the state of Kedah.
- In Egypt, the Egyptian Television celebrated its golden jubilee on 22 July 2010 after 50 years from airing for the first time.
- In Kenya, the Nation Media Group's Daily Nation and Sunday Nation celebrated their golden jubilee in the year 2010 after 50 years from being published for the first time. (Sunday Nation - March 1960; Daily Nation - October 1960)
- In New Zealand, Kingseat Hospital celebrated 50 years of operation in 1982., and Maeroa Intermediate in 2004.
- In Detroit, Michigan in the United States, the 1946 Automotive Golden Jubilee was a citywide celebration of the fiftieth anniversary of the American automotive industry.
- Alhaji (Dr.) Ado Bayero The Emir of Kano, Nigeria celebrated his Golden Jubilee on June 2013.
- In Brunei, Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah celebrated his Golden Jubilee on 5 October 2017 after 50 years of his accession to the throne.
- Silver jubilee
- Ruby jubilee
- Diamond jubilee
- Sapphire jubilee
- Platinum jubilee
- Buckingham Palace Gardens
- Wedding anniversary#Celebration and gifts
- Hierarchy of precious substances
- De beers: A Diamond is Forever "Golden Jubilee" (June 13, 2008) Retrieved October 25, 2013 Archived 2008-06-13 at the Wayback Machine.
- "SG50". singapore50.sg. Archived from the original on 2015-03-18.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-11-22. Retrieved 2016-11-21.
- Kedah Sultan's Golden Jubilee Celebration Bernama.com, 12 July 2008
- "Kingseat Hospital, Fifty Years, 1932-1982". google.co.nz.
- "The 1946 Automotive Golden Jubilee". Detroit Public Library. Retrieved 2012-02-27.[permanent dead link]