Golden Nugget Lake Charles
|Golden Nugget Lake Charles|
|Location||Lake Charles, Louisiana|
|Opening date||December 7, 2014|
|No. of rooms||740|
|Signature attractions||Private Marina
18-Hole Golf Course
|Notable restaurants||Vic & Anthony's
Saltgrass Steak House
Lillie's Asian Cuisine
Michael Patrick's Brasserie
Golden Nugget Lake Charles is a 242-acre waterfront casino resort in Lake Charles, Louisiana, U.S.A., owned and operated by Houston-based Landry's, Inc. The resort features 740 guest rooms and suites housed in a 25-story tower, an 18-hole golf course, 30,000-square-feet of meeting space, more than a dozen dining and bar options, a private beach, marina, spa & salon, retail corridor and expansive 24-hour casino floor.
Golden Nugget Lake Charles is the fifth Golden Nugget property, joining the original location in Downtown Las Vegas, and others in Laughlin, Nevada; Atlantic City, New Jersey and Biloxi, Mississippi.
Pinnacle Entertainment announced plans in 2006 to build Sugarcane Bay, a $350-million casino resort, next to its L'Auberge du Lac casino in Lake Charles. The plan was canceled in 2010, and Pinnacle returned the gaming license to the state.
In February 2011, the license was awarded to Creative Casinos LLC, the company of former Pinnacle chairman Dan Lee, for a $400-million casino named Mojito Pointe to be built on the Sugarcane Bay site.
In December 2012, Pinnacle agreed to acquire Ameristar. In order to obtain approval for the merger from FTC antitrust regulators, Pinnacle agreed to the sale of two of the combined company's properties, including Ameristar Lake Charles. A sale agreement was reached with Landry's, Inc., parent company of the Golden Nugget casinos, who agreed to pay the costs expended on the project's development to date.
Landry's owner Tilman J. Fertitta announced improvements and upgrades to the property, investing more than $600 million in the project, one of the most expensive construction endeavors in the United States at the time. In December 2013, construction topped out on the 25-story accommodations tower. Located just two hours from Houston, Fertitta had long desired a casino-resort near the headquarters of Landry's, Inc.
The casino opened to the public on December 7, 2014.
Golden Nugget Lake Charles offers more than a dozen restaurants and bars, including a number of Landry’s-owned restaurants – Landry’s Seafood, Vic & Anthony’s Steakhouse, Saltgrass Steak House, Cadillac Bar & Grill, Grotto Ristorante, Lillie’s Asian Cuisine, Claim Jumper Grill, The Buffet and others. The resort is also home to Louisiana’s first Blue Martini, a Florida-based cocktail lounge.
The 242-acre resort is also home to a new 18-hole championship golf course, with driving range, club house, pro shop and dining room.
- Jang, Lily (2013-07-25). "Fertitta to open Golden Nugget casino, resort in Lake Charles | khou.com Houston". Khou.com. Archived from the original on 2014-02-25. Retrieved 2014-03-29.
- "Golden Nugget Closes Purchase Of Lake Charles Casino Development - HOUSTON, Nov. 21, 2013 /PRNewswire/". Prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2014-03-29.
- Kaplan, David (2013-07-25). "Golden Nugget to be erected in Louisiana with 'the best synergy outside of Vegas' - San Antonio Express-News". Mysanantonio.com. Retrieved 2014-03-29.
- Adam Wright (2014-03-21). "New Lake Charles casino resort expected to create jobs for South - 12 News KBMT and K-JAC. News, Weather and Sports for SE Texas". 12newsnow.com. Retrieved 2014-03-29.
- Rob Lenihan (June 21, 2006). "Pinnacle plans Louisiana casino". TheStreet. Retrieved 2014-12-09.
- "Pinnacle cancels riverboat casino project in La". Bloomberg Businessweek. AP. April 15, 2010. Archived from the original on December 10, 2014.
- "Deadline today for last La. casino license". Greater Baton Rouge Business Report. September 23, 2010. Retrieved 2014-12-09.
- Diana Barr (February 17, 2011). "Pinnacle's former CEO wins La. casino bid". St. Louis Business Journal. Retrieved 2014-12-09.
- Theresa Schmidt (June 21, 2012). "Ameristar Lake Charles approved". KPLC-TV. Retrieved 2014-12-08.
- Howard Stutz (December 21, 2012). "Las Vegas-based Pinnacle Entertainment to acquire rival Ameristar Casinos for $869 million". Las Vegas Review-Journal. Retrieved 2014-12-08.
- Howard Stutz (July 25, 2013). "Pinnacle Entertainment sells Louisiana casino project to Golden Nugget". Las Vegas Review-Journal. Retrieved 2014-12-08.
- Supgul, Alexander. "Golden Nugget Casinos acquires Lake Charles casino property - Houston weather, traffic, news | FOX 26". MyFoxHouston. Archived from the original on 2013-08-01. Retrieved 2014-03-29.
- Kaplan, David (2013-07-25). "Fertitta acquires Lake Charles casino - Prime Property". Blog.chron.com. Retrieved 2014-03-29.
- Erin Mulvaney (December 7, 2014). "Houston billionaire's Lake Charles casino opens early". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 2014-12-08.
- "Golden Nugget, Inc.: Private Company Information - Businessweek". Investing.businessweek.com. 2013-07-25. Retrieved 2014-03-29.
- Brandau, Mark (2013-08-16). "Landry's to add Vic & Anthony's Steakhouse, Grotto Italian Ristorante to new Golden Nugget locations | Casual Dining content from Nation's Restaurant News". Nrn.com. Retrieved 2014-03-29.
- Tommy Mann Jr. "New casino coming to Lake Charles » Local News » orangeleader.com (Orange, Texas)". orangeleader.com. Archived from the original on 2014-03-27. Retrieved 2014-03-29.
- Stutzlas, Howard (2013-08-04). "Fertitta creates Golden Nuggets | Las Vegas Review-Journal". Reviewjournal.com. Retrieved 2014-03-29.