Golden Rule (ship)
|Port of registry:||United States|
|Route:||San Pedro, CA to Honolulu, HI (1958), Humboldt Bay, CA to San Diego, CA (2014, 2017)|
|Builder:||Hugh Angelman, Charles Davies|
|Out of service:||early 1970s, 2010-2015|
|Status:||on peace mission for nuclear disarmament|
|Class and type:||Alpha|
|Length:||30 ft at waterline|
|Sail plan:||fore-and-aft gaff rig ketch|
|Speed:||8 kts maximum|
Golden Rule is the first boat to engage in environmental direct action in the world. It is currently operated by Veterans for Peace. As of summer of 2017, Golden Rule is actively sailing to promote nuclear non-proliferation and disarmament.
The boat was designed by Hugh Angelman and constructed from 1956 to 1958 in Costa Rica. She was originally constructed with sapele and purpleheart. Restoration has been done using, among other south American tropical woods, Hymenaea courbaril.
In 1958, four men associated with the Quaker religion sailed toward Enewetok atoll in the Marshall Islands aboard Golden Rule with the goal of preventing atmospheric nuclear weapons testing. The US Coast Guard stopped the vessel in Honolulu, arresting her skipper, Albert Bigelow, who once served as lieutenant commander in the United States Navy. Different people owned the vessel throughout the years. She sank twice: once in the early 1970s and again in March, 2010. She has been restored since. In July 2015, she had relaunched from Humboldt Bay, California, her present home dock. She continues to sail on a peace mission to promote non-violence and to spread an anti-nuclear message to the general public. Her stops are accompanied by public events to inform the public. In the summer of 2017, she sails from Eureka, California down the full length of the California coast to San Diego with visits up the Sacramento River to the state capital.
- "About the Project". The Golden Rule Project - About. Retrieved 24 July 2017.
- "Upcoming Events". The Golden Rule Project - Upcoming Events. Retrieved 24 July 2017.
- "Restored Anti-Nuke Sailboat Launches Again on a Peace Mission". National Geographic news. 19 June 2015. Retrieved 24 July 2017.
- Stover, Dawn (25 July 2016). "The peace boat Golden Rule sails into a new era of nuclear activism". Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists. Retrieved 24 July 2017.
- Braxton Little, Jane (8 July 2017). "Golden Rule sails to Old Sacramento to promote nuclear disarmament". The Sacramento Bee. Retrieved 24 July 2017.