Goldenberg restaurant attack
|Goldenberg restaurant attack|
Chez Jo Goldenberg restaurant in 2005
|Location||Rue des Rosiers, Paris, France|
|Date||9 August 1982|
|Bombing and shooting|
|Perpetrators||Abu Nidal Organization|
No. of participants
|2 or more|
The Chez Jo Goldenberg restaurant attack was a bombing and shooting attack on a Jewish restaurant in Paris's Marais district, on 9 August 1982 carried out by the Abu Nidal Organization, a group that splintered from Fatah. Two assailants threw a grenade into the dining room, then rushed in and fired machine guns. They killed six people, including two Americans, Ann Van Zanten, a curator at the Chicago Historical Society, and Grace Cutler, and injured 22 others. Mrs. Van Zanten's husband, David, an art history professor at Northwestern University, was among the injured. BusinessWeek later said it was "the heaviest toll suffered by Jews in France since World War II." The restaurant closed in 2006 and former owner Jo Goldenberg died in 2014.
Although the Abu Nidal Organization had long been suspected, suspects from the group were only definitively identified, 32 years after the attacks, in evidence given by two former Abu Nidal members granted anonymity by French judges.
In March 2015, French authorities said that an international arrest warrant had been issued in connection with the case for three men who belonged to the organization. The suspects were identified as living in Norway, Jordan and Ramallah in the Palestinian territories. Walid Abdulrahman Abou Zayed, 56, who has become a Norwegian citizen and is unlikely to be extradited or face charges in Norway, and Mahmoud Khader Abed, 59, living in Ramallah are still being sought.
In June 2015, a Palestinian named Zuhair Mohammed Hassan Khalid al-Abbasi, also known as "Amiad Atta," was arrested in Jordan, according to the Paris prosecutor's office, which also said that France has requested extradition. On June 17, Jordan released al-Abbasi on bail.
- Irish of Vincennes
- List of attacks attributed to Abu Nidal
- List of terrorist incidents in France
- 1982 Berlin restaurant bombing
- 1982 Paris car bombing
- Grand Véfour restaurant bombing
- Bisserbe, Noemie (17 June 2015). "Jordan Arrests Suspect in 1982 Attack on Jewish Restaurant in Paris". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 17 June 2015.
- Vinocur, John. "P.L.O. Foes Linked to Attack in Paris". The New York Times. The New York Times. Retrieved 14 November 2015.
- Rothman, Andrea (19 March 2012). "4 Dead in Shooting at Jewish School in France". Businessweek. Bloomberg. Archived from the original on 19 March 2012. Retrieved 19 March 2012.
- "Paris symbol of Jewish life to disappear". European Jewish Press. 16 January 2006. Retrieved 19 March 2012.
- "Owner of famous Paris Jewish restaurant dies". Jerusalem Post. 12 May 2014. Retrieved 27 February 2017.
- Massoulié, François (2003). Middle East conflicts. Interlink Books. p. 98. ISBN 1566562376.
- Charters, David (1994). The deadly sin of terrorism: its effect on democracy and civil liberty in six countries. Greenwood Publishing Group. p. 108. ISBN 0313289646.
- Samuel, Henry (2005). "Suspected mastermind of 1982 Paris Jewish restaurant attack 'bailed in Jordan'". The Telegraph (online, June 17). Retrieved 15 November 2015.
- Dan Bilefsky (4 March 2015) France Seeks 3 Suspects in 1982 Attack on Goldenberg Restaurant New York Times
- "Rue des Rosiers: le suspect norvégien a peu de chances d'être inquiété". ladepeche (in French). 5 March 2015.
- "Jordan watching suspect in 1982 Paris restaurant attack, official says". Ammon News. 17 June 2015. Retrieved 17 June 2015.