10 May 1924|
30 August 1996 (aged 72)|
Gaeta , Lazio, Italy
|Occupation||actress and writer|
Goliarda Sapienza (10 May 1924 – 30 August 1996) was an Italian actress and writer.
Goliarda Sapienza was born 10 May 1924 in Catania. Her mother was Maria Guidice, a prominent socialist, her father Peppino Sapienza, a socialist lawyer. As a child, Goliarda Sapienza reenacted films she had seen in cinema. In 1941 she and her mother went to Rome, where she studied theatre. She worked as an actor in both films and plays, but from 1958 she focused on writing.
Her now famous novel L’arte della gioia (The Art of Joy) was finished in 1976 but rejected by publishers because of its length (over 700 pages) and its portrayal of a woman unrestrained by conventional morality and traditional feminine roles. It was first published by her husband Angelo Pellegrino after her death.
Goliarda Sapienza died 30 August 1996 in Gaeta.
- Un giorno nella vita (1946)
- Fabiola (1949)
- Persiane chiuse (Behind Closed Shutters, 1950)
- Altri tempi (1952)
- Senso (1954)
- Ulyssess (1955)
- Gli Sbandati (1955)
- Lettera aperta a un giornale della sera (1970)
- Lettera aperta. 1967.
- Il filo di mezzogiorno. 1969.
- Destino coatto. 1970.
- L'Università di Rebibbia. 1983.
- Le certezze del dubbio. 1987.
- L'arte della gioia. 1998. (The Art of Joy)
- Io, Jean Gabin. 2010.
- Il vizio di parlare a me stessa. 2011.
- Siciliane. 2012.
- Ancestrale. 2013.
- Tre pièces e soggetti cinematografici. 2014.
Notes and references
- "Goliarda Sapienza - Goliarda Sapienza in Context". Retrieved 29 Jun 2013.
- "Goliarda Sapienza – Institute of Germanic & Romance Studies". Retrieved 29 June 2013.
- Alberge, Dalya (29 Jun 2013). "Story of woman's sexual adventures gets UK publication after 45 years". The Guardian.
- "Works - Goliarda Sapienza in Context". Retrieved 29 Jun 2013.