|Written by||Richard Bluel
|Directed by||Kevin Connor|
|Music by||George Duning|
|Country of origin||United States|
Richard M. Bluel
|Editor(s)||J. Terry Williams
|Running time||~200 min (original)
110 min (VHS/laserdisc)
|Production company(s)||Larry White Productions
Columbia Pictures Television
Operation Prime Time
|Distributor||Columbia TriStar Domestic Television
Sony Pictures Television
Veronica Omroep Organisatie
|Original network||Operation Prime Time/
|Original release||November 11, 1981|
Goliath Awaits is a 1981 American television movie originally broadcast in two parts in November 1981 on various stations as a part of Operation Prime Time's syndicated programming. It is about a luxury passenger ship sunk by a torpedo fired by a German U-boat in 1939 that is discovered in 1981 with over 300 survivors and their descendants living in an air bubble in the wreck.
In 1939, the luxury British ocean liner RMS Goliath, carrying 1,860 passengers, is hit by a torpedo fired by a German U-boat and sinks while on a trans-Atlantic crossing to the United States three days after the outbreak of World War II.
Scientists aboard a research ship in 1981 discover the wreck of the Goliath lying upright in 1,000 feet (305 m) of water, and divers are sent down to investigate the wreck. Oceanographer Peter Cabot (Mark Harmon) hears banging and music coming from the ship, and is shocked to see the face of a beautiful young woman (Emma Samms) at a porthole. Cabot and his colleagues discover 337 survivors and their descendants living in an air bubble in the wreck caused by the vessel having slowly sunk in relatively shallow water. The residents of Goliath, who have invented some technologies to help them survive, some not even known to the outside modern world, live in a superficially utopian society under the autocratic leadership of John McKenzie (Christopher Lee), a junior officer at the time of the sinking credited with saving a portion of the passengers and crew. The scientists are surprised to discover that McKenzie and some of the ship's residents are not interested in being "rescued", and that there are outcasts and rebels opposed to McKenzie's seemingly beneficent leadership, which also includes brutal discipline, mandatory contraception, euthanasia, and outright murder disguised as a mysterious disease.
Complicating things, the Goliath had been carrying some sensitive documents to U.S. President Roosevelt. A joint American/British military team is sent by Admiral Wiley Sloan (Eddie Albert) to retrieve and destroy the documents.
- Mark Harmon as Peter Cabot
- Christopher Lee as John McKenzie
- Eddie Albert as Admiral Wiley Sloan
- John Carradine as Ronald Bentley
- Alex Cord as Dr. Sam Marlowe
- Robert Forster as Commander Jeff Selkirk
- Frank Gorshin as Dan Wesker
- Jean Marsh as Dr. Goldman
- John McIntire as Senator Oliver Bartholemew
- Jeanette Nolan as Mrs. Bartholomew
- Duncan Regehr as Paul Ryker
- Emma Samms as Lea McKenzie
- Kirk Cameron as Liam
- Lori Lethin as Maria
- John Ratzenberger as Bill Sweeney
- "Goliath Awaits". Retrieved 2008-04-08.
- McLean, Robert A (1981-11-05). "High Adventure at the Bottom of the Sea". The Boston Globe. p. 1.
- Maslin, Janet (1981-11-16). "TV: 'Goliath Awaits,' Undersea Yarn". The New York Times. Retrieved 2008-04-08.
- Gore, Robert J (1981-05-30). "Queen Mary Is Setting for Sci-Fi Film". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2008-04-14.